Attention TKD fighters on sherdog.

street fights you probably won't need so much fakes and ko the guy.

anyways i'm cool, not doing much tkd lately, but been using techniques in various competitiosn real successfully. including a ko.

focusing more on san shou, and got my own club, eventhough i'm kinda a student there at the same time.

Should be spanked for not standing up to be counted earlier, what with all the TKD advocacy I've given 'round here...;)

Did TKD off and on for years, starting by training privately in high school with a guy who was an instructor (and who was a good friend of mine, as he is to this day) and later trained formally at his school with a passion (2 classes a night, 3 times a week).

I was more than fortunate in that I trained not in a "McDojo" but a dojang. The owners of the school had been doing a good job of McDojo-fying the place to make money, but my instructor made sure that me and the small cadre of guys who were willing to pay the price in sweat and pain were trained in how to *fight*. In addition to being a ring fighter par excellance he also skilled in Hapkido, was a competant boxer, and trained in Aikido under Saotome Sensei for a a time...*and* he was a bar bouncer, and was sure to gear quite a bit of the training to what he found worked when the shit hit the fan. The result was a well-rounded training regimen which made up for what are admittedly TKD's weak point vis-a-vis street encounters.

Kid! Wat tha fak ya been up to? Still on the road to Athens this summer?

Originally posted by Lightfoot
Kid! Wat tha fak ya been up to? Still on the road to Athens this summer?
Yep i was just at the OTC last weekend trying out, didnt make top two but i get to try again in three weeks .... jsut got my plane ticketts......they combine my weight class and the one above so its 147 to 176 so i fight guys 18 pounds heavier than me, but i dont care.

Originally posted by Masakatsu_Funaki#1

A Sherdog TKD reunion!*Thinks back to 2002*
you know whats funny....you, lightfoot, and liquid snake all have higher post counts than me and i joined first

2011's post, wonder how long it'll take till i get my sherdog black belt. or whatever's next on this forum.

K.O. I'm pretty sure my team is gonna be coming down but I'll get back to you when i know for sure.

Originally posted by Masakatsu_Funaki#1
A Sherdog TKD reunion!*Thinks back to 2002*
Ay, Masakatsu Funaki, did you learn TKD from Kim School, in Charlotte. Great old style MDK, Korean Karate!

Originally posted by Man From La Mancha
Ay, Masakatsu Funaki, did you learn TKD from Kim School, in Charlotte. Great old style MDK, Korean Karate!
Nope but I have heard good things about them and my instuctor sparred with them.

Originally posted by Man From La Mancha
Isn;t MDK Moo Duk Kwan or some style of TKD like that?

i did notice a lot of new TKDers, but most ppl responding on this thread are not new. donde estan?

How's about making this a Korean Martial Art thread instead of a Tae Kwon Do thread, then we count all the practitioners of all the other Korean styles. :D

Training in TKD for about 3 years. However, in the past 6 months my training has been very stagnant since I sparred my Kung Fu friend and when he tried to sweep my legs, he instead blew apart my knee and tore my ACL when we agreed ahead of time no kicks below the waist.

My club is pretty nice. We try to incorporate a little of many martial arts, including Hapkido, Judo, BJJ, Aikido; hell, we even worked on CPR once..lol.

God I love martial arts!!!!!!!!

Can you please help with:

a) Recovery

How do you recover from kicking. I am told to bring the leg back and not just drop it down but which muscles do you flex? I am also told to strike like a quick flick (explosive) and explosive back????

( I do this ok with hands but legs need work)

b) Footwork

Oh, how I need to improve this. I am practicing though in front of a mirror

c) Relax

How do you relax? When someone tells me to, I tense up more :)

ANY IDEAS?

Also, anyone have to leave their dojang because it becamse about the $$$$

mine is, and the instructors are still AWESOME, but the good people to train with in the class are leaving. I feel bound by loyalty though despite them tripling the price (lightfoot???)
thanks

as far as relaxiation it's just gonna take time and experience.

Originally posted by dapunisher
K.O. I'm pretty sure my team is gonna be coming down but I'll get back to you when i know for sure.
Okay, if you do go tell me so we can meet up

Back