Atheists -- aliens or god?

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Question to fellow atheists, since I'm constantly surprised at running into atheists/agnostics who believe in aliens... which do you find more likely: the existence of aliens on Earth or the existence of God? If you do believe in aliens visiting Earth, do you believe their existence has met the standard of proof you would want to see before accepting God?

Edited for clarity re: aliens on earth and proof.

Last edited:
im not an atheist (im deist), however in my opinion the existence of aliens makes a lot more sense and is much more likely. The universe is beyond massive, and to think that there isn't any form of life out there is pretty unrealistic to me. I'm almost at the point that I find people quite crazy if they don't believe in aliens/extraterrestrial life, but thats just me. I find the idea of a god to me jsut more difficult to prove and expect to exist than an alien life form.

I lack belief in aliens for the same reason I lack belief in God---no proof.

Either one of those would be welcome, since at least it would mean someone is watching over us... Unfortunately, "it would be nice" does not equal "it's true."

Unicorns or leprechauns ? Which is more likely?

Aliens are more likely to be real, but anything is possible. I think if God does exist, none of the current religions are accurate about him/ her.

Question to fellow atheists, since I'm constantly surprised at running into atheists/agnostics who believe in aliens... which do you find more likely: the existence of aliens or the existence of God? Do you believe there is proof for either?

You know you cannot be an atheist or an agnostic atheist if you think there's proof of god, right?

Aliens on earth, no, they would have to travel too great of distances. There is a great probability that they exist in somewhere in the universe though, based on what we understand about the ineffable size of the universe.

Oh I believe in a god but he is not a god that sends people to hell for all eternity and he is also not a 'loving' god. He is not a god conservatives or liberals would appreciate very much but such is life.

Aliens that control earth though are more legit and likely then Jebus or Muhamooo

You know you cannot be an atheist or an agnostic atheist if you think there's proof of god, right?

the biggest problem in the "god" debate is how loosely defined it is, and how it is defined differently by different people.

Aliens that control earth though are more legit and likely then Jebus or Muhamooo

How is that? There is zero convincing evidence aliens have even visited yet alone control earth. They'd need to operate in ways outside of our understanding of science and nature, making them effectively supernatural - there's not much difference between defining "aliens" like that than there is defining "gods" like that, other the using the words "advanced technology" rather than "powers mere humans cannot understand".

the biggest problem in the "god" debate is how loosely defined it is, and how it is defined differently by different people.

Yes, every god defended in debates seems to always be the one nobody actually believes in. It's always some nebulous presence, or prime mover.

How is that? There is zero convincing evidence aliens have even visited yet alone control earth. They'd need to operate in ways outside of our understanding of science and nature, making them effectively supernatural - there's not much difference between defining "aliens" like that than there is defining "gods" like that, other the using the words "advanced technology" rather than "powers mere humans cannot understand".

I mean more likely than Jebus being god or muhamooo being a messanger/messiah of god.

And if aliens controlled earth the common person would not know about it. In any case the theories regarding the ancient civilizations, egyptians etc are entertaining.

Question to fellow atheists, since I'm constantly surprised at running into atheists/agnostics who believe in aliens... which do you find more likely: the existence of aliens or the existence of God? Do you believe there is proof for either?

I don't believe in either. Seeing though that earth can support life and preliminary google search says that there may be millions of earth like planets just in our galaxy, I'd say that life outside of earth is "probable".

Without more compelling evidence though I see no reason to believe in either.

Yes, every god defended in debates seems to always be the one nobody actually believes in. It's always some nebulous presence, or prime mover.

An Alien commander that sends representatives to earth every once in awhile.

I mean more likely than Jebus being god or muhamooo being a messanger/messiah of god.

And if aliens controlled earth the common person would not know about it. In any case the theories regarding the ancient civilizations, egyptians etc are entertaining.

Codger is correct, there is the same evidence for both, neither is more likely.

The main problem with Aliens is that even if every habitable planet has a race of intelligent beings on it, we still will probably never make contact. The way it works out is using the earth as an example we figure it's about 4 billion years old, and we have only been here for 250,000 years or so. Not to mention we will probably die out within the next million or so years, so we only have a cosmic second to make contact with aliens during that same cosmic second. And with all the solar systems being billions of years of age different from one another there is almost no chance of that happening.

The fact that this planet exists means that life is out there under the right conditions but there's no proof of them here on earth.

Codger is correct, there is the same evidence for both, neither is more likely.

The fact we exist means we have proof life can exist out there in the universe that alone puts the idea of aliens being around far far above any kind of God existing. I don't think there are any aliens visiting earth but it's still statistically more likely than God existing because of the simple fact we have proof of life on earth while there's zero proof of any god existing.

Wouldn't the alien belief make me closer to a scientologist?

There is no proof for either, however I find the possibility of there being life forms that exists somewhere in our vast universe much more probable.

Is there really a difference between an Angel and an alien visitor?

there are billions of galaxies in the universe, and some galaxies have TRILLIONS of stars in them. each star potentially has several planets around it.

what would be really weird, is if there WERENT aliens out there. the numbers are just so mind bogglingly in favor of other life. have they been to earth before? meehhhhhh. probably not. unless we are an alien ant farm experiment.

Prove what? He made no falsifiable claims.

I think he means the "if God does exist, none of the current religions are accurate about him/ her." part, which religious people will of course debate to the death

I guess it's a question of degrees and whether or not they believe there is proof for aliens, which they would probably demand before believing in God. I'm sure you could have figured that out.

Yes, I believe there are aliens out there or definitely were at some time and will be in the future. Why? Probability. The universe is fucking gigantic.

I do not believe we have direct evidence of the existence of extra terrestrial.

However, we do have evidence of the mechanisms and parameters by which life may form. It's reasonable to extrapolate that those mechanisms and parameters may not be unique to the Earth.

We do not have evidence of the mechanism or parameters, by which a universe would contain a omniscient omnipresent being.

I think he means the "if God does exist, none of the current religions are accurate about him/ her." part, which religious people will of course debate to the death

Sure, sad part is that no religion has a deity that isn't a self defeating concept. So none could be true.

The fact that this planet exists means that life is out there under the right conditions but there's no proof of them here on earth.

The fact we exist means we have proof life can exist out there in the universe that alone puts the idea of aliens being around far far above any kind of God existing. I don't think there are any aliens visiting earth but it's still statistically more likely than God existing because of the simple fact we have proof of life on earth while there's zero proof of any god existing.

The claim was that aliens control earth.

Depends on what you mean when you say "god" and "aliens"

If you mean the specific god in the bible (or any other major religion's book) that parted the red sea, and has done all of the things listed in that book etc... I'd say that's just as likely as believing the specific blue skinned aliens from the movie Avatar exist.

If you mean some kind of general deity or force that we know nothing about, or the general possibility for alien life that we know nothing about... then I'd say the chances of those things existing are much more likely.

It's an opinion. I think with how vast our universe is, it is much more likely to contain Aliens than for God to exist. I also think if God does exist, none of the current religions accurately portray him/ her. I think all of the religions and texts were created and written by men. To me, it's akin to Greek mythology. Again, just my opinion, you can believe whatever you want. That's your right.

im not an atheist (im deist), however in my opinion the existence of aliens makes a lot more sense and is much more likely. The universe is beyond massive, and to think that there isn't any form of life out there is pretty unrealistic to me. I'm almost at the point that I find people quite crazy if they don't believe in aliens/extraterrestrial life, but thats just me. I find the idea of a god to me jsut more difficult to prove and expect to exist than an alien life form.

Do you believe that Earth has been visited by aliens?

Life somewhere else is extremely probable due to the sheer number of planets that can suport life and our inability to see vast majority of them just because of distance, so I guess "aliens" would fall under that. Aliens are highly probable.

There's no reason to believe in a deity, nothing suggests we are governed or overseen by a god.

This runs into the Fermi Paradox

Back