Asthma Issues

Sherdog_Mutt

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
About a month ago I had some really bad allergies. I thought it was no big deal and bought a bottle of Claritin to deal with it. As a result of my allergy symptoms (specifically the nasal congestion), I developed a horrible sinus infection. It was initially misdiagnosed as the common cold. As such, I didn't actually start taking the antibiotics that I needed until a week and a half in. As a result of this 2.5 week long bout with the sinus infection (exacerbated by allergies), my respiratory tract became so irritated that I developed mild asthma for the first time in my life.

Now that I'm more or less healthy, I'm having some mild shortness of breath. I've been told that you get used to this and that it's not a big deal. Nonetheless, I'm frustrated as Pan Ams are around the corner and my gas sucks. I'm sucking wind big time whenever I roll and my stamina is just not what it used to be. Anyone here have experience rolling with mild asthma? I'd appreciate any tips on how to deal with it.

Get a peak flow meter and an inhaler... the peak flow helps you monitor your asthma before you have a major effect.. and to see if your lungs aren't inflamed before you go into a match...

oh and take your prescribed controller meds as given to you by your doctor...

That's a real bummer, I did not know you can develop asthma.

I got pneumonia a couple years ago and it took like six months for my lungs and throat to get back to normal. I was coughing and short of breath during that period. Now I am perfectly fine.

Hopefully your asthma will be similarly short-lived. :icon_surp

Maybe you need a puffer. They help a ton. I have exercise induced asthma and I notice huge differences when I use it. With the BJJ I just started I don't notice it is much, but when I play ice hockey without a puffer I am useless after the first period.

I would talk to your doctor. Something as easy as a puffer could be your saving grace

salbutamol is what I have.

Yeah I'm taking my controller meds but it's just not the same. I just can't seem to get enough air. Feels like I'm rolling on top of a mountain.

Unfortunately, you can develop asthma any time in life. This is why you can't just ignore respiratory ailments and hope they go away.

2om30: Thanks for the advice. I'll look into picking up a peak flow meter to go with my inhaler.

It is probably easier for someone like me to deal with. I have had asthma as long as I can remember, so the "breathing problem" is normal for me.

I feel sorry for anyone that develops it late in life.

2om30 has given you good advice, as has your physician no doubt. You are going to have to adjust to your asthma, but the good news is that your body can adjust. Keep exercising, and give it time. Your lungs are probably still damaged from the initial acute inflammatory processes that led to the condition, and it will take a little time for the tissue to heal up and the scar tissue to break down. There are many athletes with asthma, and there is no reason for it to limit you. Of course, if you have persistent problems, you should talk with your doctor about altering your controller type/dosage, but for now, I think you just have to keep working through it while waiting for your lungs heal and adjust. Good luck.

I have excerise enduced asthma, I've had it since I was like 3-4 years old. I've played sports my whole life and only started BJJ about 8 months ago. I noticed that I have bad cardio when running I get tired pretty easily but am in good shape and can still run better than average, my 1 mile was 6:55 and 2 mile was 15:44 these were both last year as a senior in HS. But my grappling cardio is much much better than my running. I rarely ever gas when rolling and always seem to have better cardio than my partner.

Yeah I'm taking my controller meds but it's just not the same. I just can't seem to get enough air. Feels like I'm rolling on top of a mountain.

Unfortunately, you can develop asthma any time in life. This is why you can't just ignore respiratory ailments and hope they go away.

2om30: Thanks for the advice. I'll look into picking up a peak flow meter to go with my inhaler.

What are you taking Mike? Ive been dealing with the same thing for 2 years now ever since I got that "walking pneumonia" shit! The shortness of breath and wheezing never fully went away for me, it just comes and goes.

Lately its been pretty much under control if I take my controllers. My doc currently has me on advair, cingulair and a fast-acting inhaler. I also take a claritin in the morning as the cingulair doesnt really do anything for my allergies. Havent really had to use my fast-acting in a while.

I'm taking Singulair, Advair, Claritin and Nasonex. The nasonex is to control my nasal allergies so they don't aggravate the asthma. This really sucks. One month ago I didn't need any of this stuff.

About a month ago I had some really bad allergies. I thought it was no big deal and bought a bottle of Claritin to deal with it. As a result of my allergy symptoms (specifically the nasal congestion), I developed a horrible sinus infection. It was initially misdiagnosed as the common cold. As such, I didn't actually start taking the antibiotics that I needed until a week and a half in. As a result of this 2.5 week long bout with the sinus infection (exacerbated by allergies), my respiratory tract became so irritated that I developed mild asthma for the first time in my life.

Now that I'm more or less healthy, I'm having some mild shortness of breath. I've been told that you get used to this and that it's not a big deal. Nonetheless, I'm frustrated as Pan Ams are around the corner and my gas sucks. I'm sucking wind big time whenever I roll and my stamina is just not what it used to be. Anyone here have experience rolling with mild asthma? I'd appreciate any tips on how to deal with it.

I have had asthma for a long time and I can tell you two things specifically that should really help -

Diet: If you stop eating grains for the most part your lungs will feel much better. Grains contribute to the inflammatory response in the body which leads to more asthma. Try it for a few days even and you will feel much better. Also, in some people dairy increases mucus which can lead to feeling like your lungs are heavier. Milk is usually the worst culprit, although people have noted changes by eliminating dairy entirely. I still have plenty of dairy though and I feel pretty good so its subjective.

Fish oil: If you're not taking it, well, you're an idiot. Ok fine, you're not an idiot. But if you don't take fish oil after reading this you're an idiot. Fair enough? After spending some time in the D & S sub forum I started taking fish oil, slowly increasing my dosage over time. The results? Better sleep, better mood, less inflammation in joints (no more "arthritis" when I wake up at all!) better memory, and of course, less asthma and less sinus issues in general.

If you want you can also do some extra cardio, like swimming, because supposedly thats great for asthma. For me, I'm lazy and chlorine aggravates my asthma so its no go. Running is good though. Good luck!

oh and take your prescribed controller meds as given to you by your doctor...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those damn asthma medications are probably the number 1 factor in the increase in asthma in our population. The slightest thing and doctors start prescribing inhalers and steroids and everything.

If you NEED to use the inhaler, like you cant breathe and you're in the middle of a workout or something, just use ONE SINGLE PUFF. Give it a couple of minutes and you'll be fine to go. I never use more than one puff anymore. And only use it when you need it, not "Once every four hours."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those damn asthma medications are probably the number 1 factor in the increase in asthma in our population. The slightest thing and doctors start prescribing inhalers and steroids and everything.

If you NEED to use the inhaler, like you cant breathe and you're in the middle of a workout or something, just use ONE SINGLE PUFF. Give it a couple of minutes and you'll be fine to go. I never use more than one puff anymore. And only use it when you need it, not "Once every four hours."

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

how do you control your asthma?

I'm taking Singulair, Advair, Claritin and Nasonex. The nasonex is to control my nasal allergies so they don't aggravate the asthma. This really sucks. One month ago I didn't need any of this stuff.

Holy shit dude you are screwed. The shortness of breath is 100% from the advair. That shit is HORRIBLE for you. I don't know what to tell you because it might be hard to stop this soon before the pan ams.

I would cut the dose of the advair in half (i.e. take it once a day instead of twice) for a while then take it every other day then stop completely. The singulair keep taking until the competition then stop.

In the short run they might make you feel a little better, and singulair is not nearly as bad as advair, but really there are so many contributing factors that by taking these meds first of all, you're just hiding the real issues and second of all you're not solving the problem - just prolonging the inevitable. But if you read up on these drugs advair is one of the worst drugs on the market. Do you ever get really lightheaded and feel like you're gonna pass out? I passed out 4 times in 6 months while taking it and couldn't figure out why.

As far as the nasonex goes, its another steroid. However I would recommend to keep taking it for some time to make sure your sinuses clear. Again, though, DONT TAKE THE FULL DOSE. Take only ONE spray in each nostril a day, then start taking it every other day. Amazingly, the effects will remain and your nose won't be as dry. I used to take it normally for a week, then one spray per nostril, then every other day, then finally twice a week. It still worked great and I didn't have any nosebleeds or anything.

Oh yeah, one more thing on the advair - make SURE you wash out your mouth and throat after you take it. It can screw you up (and btw, one of the most common side effects of steroids like advair and nasonex is to get very bad viruses so good luck!)

Go to askapatient.com and check out some of the reviews of these medicines. They have their uses, but believe me you should avoid them if possible.

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

how do you control your asthma?

lol :)

The same way I said in my post.

I use one puff if I really really need it. I use one puff before any really hard exercise (like sprints) where I know I'll get asthma.

Other than that I use it as little as possible. The times when I use my inhaler more and more my asthma keeps getting worse amazingly.

BTW, advair contributes to gassing as well. More than just the shortness of breath, do you ever feel like your body is, I dont know how to explain it - drying up? Especially in your legs, do you ever feel like the muscles are being dried out? Thats from the advair too. Great stuff, isnt it?!

This might be a stupid question. Are inhalers strictly perscription or are they also over counter.

I stopped Jiu-Jitsu a few years ago becuase of the shortness of breath. At the time I thought I was in bad shape but even in the shape I was I shouldnt have had that much shortness of breath. Over the past year its occured to me that I might have some sort of asthma. I've been wanting to start back at Jiu-Jitsu so an inhaler might help me out?

For an antihistamine you can use Zyertec (sp) which is sold over the counter now...

Back