Arums says pacquiao vs. Bradley 2 ppv numbers "a disappointment"

Strange King

Strange Music
@Silver
Reaction score
We're between 750,000 and 800,000. Sure, it's a disappointment," stated Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum, who recently revelaed the number of pay-per-view buys for last months rematch between previoiusly undefeated former champion Timothy Bradley and multi-division world champion Manny Pacquioa. Though the numbers are an increase from the 475,000 buys that Pacquiao generated in his return bout against Brandon Rios last November, they're far from the 1.2 million buys that Arum had predicted before the fight.

"I'm telling you, it is what it is. The numbers are the numbers," Arum recently explained to ESPN.com. "The absence of Mexican or Hispanic opponent hurt. If you had a challenger like, for example, Marquez, the fight would do over a million buys. Tim is a great fighter, but he's not Hispanic and we tried everything to energize the black community without that much success. But we all made money on the fight. We did OK."

While Arum was quick to point out that the fight was still profitable for everyone involved, one has to wonder if the lower than expected numbers will impact the remainder of Pacquiao's $20 million guarantee, which he has yet to receive (Pacquiao collected a $6 million check on fight night and the remainder of the guarantee is supposed to be paid out in the weeks following the fight).

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article17007.html

Bob is disillusion if he thinks that's a disappointment.

Maybe Bob should stack the under card for once rather than complaining that there aren't enough Mexicans in the world. This fucker seriously over thinks race.

For a bradley fight...that's a good fucking number.. Also factor In that Manny is in the twilight of his career.

800000 is a solid number

Last edited:
Brandon Rios sold less so Arums theory is shit.

Arum just needs to go..

I don't want him to die or anything, but just let go of his company. It's over. You had a great run. Let someone capable in todays era run the fucking business. Someone who will not compromise relationships at every turn.

Bob is disillusion if he thinks that's a disappointment.

Maybe Bob should stack the under card for once rather than complaining that there aren't enough Mexicans in the world. This fucker seriously over thinks race.

I was tripping that he said that. First thing i thought of is isnt rios mexican and that fight did worse.

Arum just needs to go..

I don't want him to die or anything, but just let go of his company. It's over. You had a great run. Let someone capable in todays era run the fucking business. Someone who will not compromise relationships at every turn.

Preach on brother. I want this cold war to end already

I'm assuming that the buyrate was even worse unless he releases the official numbers.

I hope Arum has an unfortunate accident

Arum shouldn't be so sour. Considering Manny was selling the PPV by himself, it did pretty well.

Pacs stock has hurt in front of many casual fans. People who aren't very knowledgeable about fighting rely a lot more on results and "math" (who beat who), and Pac's image has been damaged in that regard. Furthermore, Filipinos don't buy PPV the way Mexican-Americans do, so there's that.

I like that Arum is actually being honest that he doesn't like the past few numbers, and that Pac is generating less revenue/buys than Mayweather. A lot of people try to gloss over stuff like that. This actually makes the Pac-Mayweather fight slightly more probable, given that now it's been established that Pac generates less and hence, deserves a smaller cut of the fight when it happens. I believe that was one of the disagreements between Mayweather and Pac/Arum's camps.

We're between 750,000 and 800,000. Sure, it's a disappointment," stated Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum, who recently revelaed the number of pay-per-view buys for last months rematch between previoiusly undefeated former champion Timothy Bradley and multi-division world champion Manny Pacquioa. Though the numbers are an increase from the 475,000 buys that Pacquiao generated in his return bout against Brandon Rios last November, they're far from the 1.2 million buys that Arum had predicted before the fight.

"I'm telling you, it is what it is. The numbers are the numbers," Arum recently explained to ESPN.com. "The absence of Mexican or Hispanic opponent hurt. If you had a challenger like, for example, Marquez, the fight would do over a million buys. Tim is a great fighter, but he's not Hispanic and we tried everything to energize the black community without that much success. But we all made money on the fight. We did OK."

While Arum was quick to point out that the fight was still profitable for everyone involved, one has to wonder if the lower than expected numbers will impact the remainder of Pacquiao's $20 million guarantee, which he has yet to receive (Pacquiao collected a $6 million check on fight night and the remainder of the guarantee is supposed to be paid out in the weeks following the fight).

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article17007.html

somebody should tell arum

yes bradley is black but he sucks

Brandon Rios sold less so Arums theory is shit.

Nowhere does he imply that the added value of a Mexican fighter is enough to overcome the deficit of staging the fight on the other side of the world.

Back