Article- Unintended Consequences of the New Double Guard Pull Rule

Stalling can happen anywhere, double guard pull can be exciting and lead to action, it's just the ref enforcing stalling penalties and competitors searching for ultimate victory instead of decisions.

Yeah, pulling the guard is kind of a coward move, if one guy is allowed to do that move why not also the other? Pulling the guard should be a consequence or result of standing action, not because one guy does not want to fight stand up. Not very realistic for self-defense if pulling the guard in the street…

They should be removing rules, not adding them. When you add rules all that happens is the competitors develop strategies to game the system. Let people pull guard if they want, but remove the reaping rule and see what happens. You will see more effective leg-locks and new sweeping and submission opportunities emerge.

They just should remove action based scoring (Takedown, pass guard and sweep) and just reward positions (back take, mount, side control, knee on belly).

They just should remove action based scoring (Takedown, pass guard and sweep) and just reward positions (back take, mount, side control, knee on belly).

Add "top guard" in there too maybe! :icon_twis

In judo what would be the most appropriate technique to counter the bad, bent over jacket wrestling? It seems like that would make somebody off balance for something.

Add "top guard" in there too maybe! :icon_twis

Nah. Then people will continue to stall on top without (ever) passing, or work 'sweeps' from 50/50. Force them to achieve a truly dominant position, and we will see real action again. (As much as I appreciate a nice sweep or TD, it is only a means to an end.)

Nah. Then people will continue to stall on top without (ever) passing, or work 'sweeps' from 50/50. Force them to achieve a truly dominant position, and we will see real action again. (As much as I appreciate a nice sweep or TD, it is only a means to an end.)

True, but that might be best addressed by simply enforcing stalling rules.

In judo what would be the most appropriate technique to counter the bad, bent over jacket wrestling? It seems like that would make somebody off balance for something.

Yes, there are things you can do in judo to attack this posture. But that means that more jiu-jitsu guys need to learn stand up grappling. In my experience few guys are willing to do this. At my academy we have more guys from judo cross training in BJJ than vice versa. Stand up for whatever reason intimidates a lot of guys, I think because it is a different kind of conditioning that they aren't use to, and also because throwing someone who is trying to take you down is well, difficult.

True, but that might be best addressed by simply enforcing stalling rules.

Too much ref's discretion, IMO. There's so much in BJJ that has potential both for stalling and offense – there would be ref bias and poor ref-ing all over the place, at least if today's state of affairs were to continue.

Shape the game with incentives rather than penalties. Works better in society, works better everywhere.

And to those (that always come along in these threads) saying that nobody would score at the elite level if there were no advantages or sweep points: Bernardo Faria just beat Braulio Estima 26-4. When people really go for it, openings are created. Why not make people really go for it, rather than reward conservatism?

Back