Article Proving benefits of Oly lifting.

rickdog

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Here is the linkhttp://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hale16.htm

I would love to do Oly lifting, but I got no one who's qualified enough to teach me or the space. My gym is a small fitness center where people are usually on the machines, doing curls on cable machines and with dumbbells and on the treadmill.

They are awesome. Look at the results these guys have. Faster than some Olympic sprinters and having some of the highest vertical leaps. That is incredible.

rickdog said:
They are awesome. Look at the results these guys have. Faster than some Olympic sprinters and having some of the highest vertical leaps. That is incredible.
yea dude. But these are Olympic level athletes not just any one doing the lifting dude.

And the sprinting tibit is rather inaccurate, because they have amazing bursts, but the distance they run fastest in doesnt qualify for olymic tournaments.

Yes, they are olympic level athletes..... I fail to see your point. Find me an olympic Basketball Player or anyother sport that can come up with several other athletes with those credentials. Olympic lifters could run faster than some of the olympic sprinters for 10m, thats pretty dam impressive. Im not saying they would win the gold but I would like any of the other athletes to do that. Also having some of the highest vertical leaps recorded. Yes, but i know it proves nothing and does not quite meet your requirements for being extrodinary.

rickdog said:
Yes, they are olympic level athletes..... I fail to see your point. Find me an olympic Basketball Player or anyother sport that can come up with several other athletes with those credentials. Olympic lifters could run faster than some of the olympic sprinters for 10m, thats pretty dam impressive. Im not saying they would win the gold but I would like any of the other athletes to do that. Also having some of the highest vertical leaps recorded. Yes, but i know it proves nothing and does not quite meet your requirements for being extrodinary.
Yea and it wouldnt be surprising if they have incredible bursts and high vertical leaps.

I'm confused Ted. I was being sarcastic and refering to CS's comment on it proves nothing. LOL, IMO that was an arrogant statement.

And you needed to prove that olypic lifting has benefits because...?

Sean, this is not to difficult of a concept for you is it? The proof is in the pudding. Maybe some of the facts or proofs listed will shed some light on the situation for those out there that say it is not worth putting in their program. Does that make enough sense for you?

none of these posts make any sense so ill just say this. you do oly lifts, you will get explosive. period. and far beyond anything powerlifting will get you. oly lifts are THE lifts for sports. it isnt even debatable. start doing them now and youll see the difference.

rickdog said:
Sean, this is not to difficult of a concept for you is it? The proof is in the pudding. Maybe some of the facts or proofs listed will shed some light on the situation for those out there that say it is not worth putting in their program. Does that make enough sense for you?

Not really because I missed that part where this forum forced you to prove that olypic lifts have benefits. Last time I checked, most people here have respect for said lifts.

id love to do them, but id like to do them correctly. so, until i find somebody who can really instruct me, ill be sticking with high pulls.

Remy, High pulls are good, but if you ever get the chance to have someone show you it id def. worth it bro.

Sean, check out of some of the other threads were Oly lifting was called ":eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:ry" and people said there were other execrsise that worked just as well. I was just trying to show the extreme benefits that they had and also make an opinionated statement that their is no replacement for the Olympic lifts.

Cocky Sprinter, I agree 100% with your last post.

Olympc Lifts are better for the back overall. Deads, since the weight comes up to slow. To much tension over time on the back, wrecks ones back. OL, since down with lighter weights ( depends on person, some people can do heavy weights ), are done quickly, so the time is less on the back throughout the entire ROM. Safer for the back and much more fun!!!!

Duncon76 said:
Olympc Lifts are better for the back overall. Deads, since the weight comes up to slow. To much tension over time on the back, wrecks ones back. OL, since down with lighter weights ( depends on person, some people can do heavy weights ), are done quickly, so the time is less on the back throughout the entire ROM. Safer for the back and much more fun!!!!
Assuming that you have great coaching and avoid the temptation to lift the ass up too quickly (which causes many of the back injuries in OL). The comparison is a lot more complex than you make it seem.

Alon said:
Assuming that you have great coaching and avoid the temptation to lift the ass up too quickly (which causes many of the back injuries in OL). The comparison is a lot more complex than you make it seem.

Agreed. I'm a huge fan of olympic lifts, but even though you use a lighter weight, you are handling that weight at much higher speeds, and that equalizes the force.

Olympic lifting is degenerative. You should have rehabilitative lifts in your program designed to counter this and prevent injury.

Madmick said:
Agreed. I'm a huge fan of olympic lifts, but even though you use a lighter weight, you are handling that weight at much higher speeds, and that equalizes the force.

Olympic lifting is degenerative. You should have rehabilitative lifts in your program designed to counter this and prevent injury.

what makes you say this?

cockysprinter said:
what makes you say this?

Olympic lifts and powerlifts place incredible strain on the articular cartilage of whichever joint is involved: the lower back and hips are the most heavily targeted by most of the lifts because the waist acts as a fulcrum where most of the force is exerted.

This is true of any lift; only with olympic lifts and powerlifts, the weight is much greater. For example, every time you curl your arm, you're breaking down tissue in the elbow joint. In the long term, if unattended, repetive motions like this cause stress injuries and disorders like arthritis (baseball pitchers are a prime example). A way to counter this (in the curl) is to work the tendons in a different way: instead of curling your arm, grab a dumbbell and twist the forearm back and forth. This strengthens the agonistic/antagonistic muscles so they can absorb more of the strain of these motions. This is why pitchers are always doing strength band for their rotator cuffs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anddrew
Back