Article: Is BJJ dead?

Can you show me where it states that in the rules?

Would the ref be able to tell if one disguised this tactic well? Is it any different than placing your leg in someone's half guard, then pulling it out to score points, and then placing it back and taking it out etc?

You are just being ridiculous. Have you ever competed in a BJJ tournament?

I heard someone say, and I agree, that most of the "evolution" of the sport is not an evolution of BJJ but rather a specialization of BJJ.

What he meant by this is that a number of the new moves (what people are calling evolution) adds little or nothing to the real street/self defense aspect (which would indeed be an evolution) but rather sport oriented techniques that are not ideal for street self defense (which could be called a specialization of BJJ; Sport Oriented vs. Street Oriented).

Of course, some may point out some exceptions but I would argue they are exceptions that only prove the rule.

You are contradicting yourself you call it a sport and then say it doesn't add to self defense. Self defense is not a sport it's self defense and as such bjj is definitely evolving as a sport.

I heard someone say, and I agree, that most of the "evolution" of the sport is not an evolution of BJJ but rather a specialization of BJJ.

What he meant by this is that a number of the new moves (what people are calling evolution) adds little or nothing to the real street/self defense aspect (which would indeed be an evolution) but rather sport oriented techniques that are not ideal for street self defense (which could be called a specialization of BJJ; Sport Oriented vs. Street Oriented).

Of course, some may point out some exceptions but I would argue they are exceptions that only prove the rule.

and as has already been pointed out in this thread, the "evolution" of BBJ has already happened - it's called MMA. If that's what you're after, do MMA.

This whole argument is pointless though because even if it was legal, if you'r that much better than the guy at stand up he is just going to pull guard and you get zero points.

If I am moving forward when they pull guard, that counts as a TD for me. :redface:

while you are staying there trying to fake to pass the guard, you gonna get submitted or swept. or just called on stalling if your opponent is that useless.

the bottom line is you need to make a genuine attempt at progressing (ie get to a better position).

Hell while we are at it.

If you just closed guard on you and make no attempt at sweeping or submitting. The ref will call stalling on me as well. You could just get a double DQ.

You only have to make it look like you're passing.

Im going to win using this strategy at my next tournament in ALL matches and prove you all wrong.

If I am moving forward when they pull guard, that counts as a TD for me. :redface:

No, it doesn't. Further evidence you don't know what you're talking about.

Why is it so important to think you can win BJJ tournaments without knowing any BJJ? No one would say something so asinine about any other sport. Wrestling and Judo are good to know, but every champion spends almost all their time on BJJ just as you'd expect.

A star football player who had no basketball experience might be able to go out and dominate pickup games on the strength of their athleticism alone, but as soon as they start competing against guys who are both athletic and practice baskteball they're going to get killed. It's no different here. If you want to take D1 wrestlers and put them in white belt divisions they probably will win, but who cares? By purple belt at the latest the winners of even local tournaments are guys who primarily train BJJ and are experts in that sport. For some reason it seems important to you to insist that BJJ isn't a real sport and that people from other sports can dominate in it with no experience, but reality simply doesn't bear that out.

Im going to win using this strategy at my next tournament in ALL matches and prove you all wrong.

You don't think Orlando was trying to pass Lo's guard? Please. He won that match on an advantage because he came close to passing guard.

And I'm not really interested in whether or not you can win a white belt division at a local tournament with this strategy (not that I think you would). That doesn't make you smart, it makes you an anticompetitive ass.

Why is it so important to think you can win BJJ tournaments without knowing any BJJ? No one would say something so asinine about any other sport. Wrestling and Judo are good to know, but every champion spends almost all their time on BJJ just as you'd expect.

A star football player who had no basketball experience might be able to go out and dominate pickup games on the strength of their athleticism alone, but as soon as they start competing against guys who are both athletic and practice baskteball they're going to get killed. It's no different here. If you want to take D1 wrestlers and put them in white belt divisions they probably will win, but who cares? By purple belt at the latest the winners of even local tournaments are guys who primarily train BJJ and are experts in that sport. For some reason it seems important to you to insist that BJJ isn't a real sport and that people from other sports can dominate in it with no experience, but reality simply doesn't bear that out.

Pretty sure a lot of Heavyweights spend a great deal of time on their stand-up. I know Roger trains at the Budokwai several times a week, Buchecha has a personal wrestling coach, and Xande trains a lot of Judo too. Obviously at the lighter weights being on top is less important and with that takedowns are less important too.

Pretty sure a lot of Heavyweights spend a great deal of time on their stand-up. I know Roger trains at the Budokwai several times a week, Buchecha has a personal wrestling coach, and Xande trains a lot of Judo too. Obviously at the lighter weights being on top is less important and with that takedowns are less important too.

Do you think any of them spend more time on their standup than on their BJJ? I'm willing to bet their training is heavily tilted towards BJJ. Standup matters, but it's not enough on it's own.

Do you think any of them spend more time on their standup than on their BJJ? I'm willing to bet their training is heavily tilted towards BJJ. Standup matters, but it's not enough on it's own.

Oh, absolutely not. No doubt they're training 9/10 hours on BJJ.

Um, pretty sure every time I've moved forward and so much as tapped someone's leg as they were pulling guard I've been awarded points. That was IBJJF too. Are the IBJJF really that inconsistent?

Um, pretty sure every time I've moved forward and so much as tapped someone's leg as they were pulling guard I've been awarded points. That was IBJJF too. Are the IBJJF really that inconsistent?

If you have intiated a takedown and established grips before they pull guard than yes you would get points but simply moving forward is not enough to get you points.

If you have competed in IBJJF than how do you not understand that after the first takedown the guy has no obligation to stand back up. If you stand up and he just stays there you will be penalized not him.

Also if you have competed and are tryign to now use this strategy I'm assuming it's because you keep losing trying to play normally. Just get better at jiu jitsu

If you have intiated a takedown and established grips before they pull guard than yes you would get points but simply moving forward is not enough to get you points.

If you have competed in IBJJF than how do you not understand that after the first takedown the guy has no obligation to stand back up. If you stand up and he just stays there you will be penalized not him.

Also if you have competed and are tryign to now use this strategy I'm assuming it's because you keep losing trying to play normally. Just get better at jiu jitsu

That seems like the obvious answer.

Do you have a video? If you get a hand on the leg prior to the initiation of a guard pull it will get 2 points. But just moving forward and gripping or touching the leg after the guard pull has started will get you nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back