Article: Is BJJ dead?

B33bs

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Just read this article...

Is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu dead? What's going on out there on those mats? I'm starting to feel more and more guilty when I defend it against people who call it karate. "No, no, no!" I say. "It's more like fighting." I say.

But after this year's worlds there is so much weird and bizarre mind-blowingly sportcentric game being played it's hard to distinguish between a closely battled match or two dogs mating. You thought berimbolos were ridiculous?

Here's the full article.

Unfortunately has some truths, specially about BJJ with a GI...

what do you guys think?

to me its just evolution of a sport. i dont get how bjj could be dead if its more popular than ever. are we talking self defense bjj?? im doubtful Keenan or whoever is that worried about getting beat up on the street, im sure he will be fine if some untrained, unarmed attacker goes after him, hell he prob wont even have to use the worm guard either.

Wrestler thinks BJJ sucks, doesn't like the new types of guards that have evolved to neutralize top game. Film at 11.

Its dead for me. One place near me is for sport and champions and I don't want that. another place looks TMA and has merciless contracts and I don't want that. its so confusing because BJJ appears to have so many potential training pitfalls that may result in you wasting your time. sad thing is, I tried some judo since I first came on here and even they were telling me how good BJJ is, but how to find what you want? Not sure if I am way off topic or digress too much, but from the perspective of the beginner/ground up, BJJ doesn't seem to make it easy for people to join in and that, in the final analysis may be amongst many reasons why BJJ needs an overhaul or become a lost art.

Now that I've been doing BJJ for 3 years now, I do feel that if (knock on wood) some sort of altercation occurres I'll be naturally able to think quick and defend my self with a lot more effectiveness than before starting BJJ.

I also try to base my game on more "realistic" moves.

I also try to practice no-gi just to keep me "grounded" and more in touch with reality.

How can BJJ be dead when it hasn't stopped evolving since its conception?

How can BJJ be dead when it hasn't stopped evolving since its conception?

Because it may have arm locked itself into a niche cul-de-sac of irrelevancy that might take some pain and time to get out of.

Article sucks. Just the usual "nothing comes close to the street, not even MMA" bullshit.

I really don't understand what the fuss is all about

Keenan is BETTER than Lo, so he beat him using worm guard

Buchecha is BETTER than Keenan, so he beat him using his techniques

It's not like (and NEVER will be) a guy who have worst jiu jitsu beating a guy with better jiu jitsu.
Some purists may say "Oh, but that guy trains self defense and can do a better armbar from guard than Miyao"...ok, the fact is HE DID NOT ARMBARRED MIYAO, the skinny brazilian just CHOKED HIM, while TAKING HIS F*CKING BACK

get over it guys...some moves won't be countered, but the better FIGHTER (in those set of rules) will always win.
until Rodolfo destroyed Keenan, his guard was unpassable -_-

You're not truly alive unless you're beating up some stinky stranger off the street!

Because it may have arm locked itself into a niche cul-de-sac of irrelevancy that might take some pain and time to get out of.

Irrelvancy to what?

I'm so sick of this absurd idea that BJJ has to be 'for' something else, whether it's self defense or MMA. BJJ is a martial art with a very prevalent sporting component which people enjoy practicing for its own sake. If you want to do MMA, train MMA. If you want to work on LARPing self defense, train Krav Maga or Hapkido. If you like BJJ, train BJJ. But don't expect it to fulfill some other goal outside of you getting good at BJJ. It's only irrelevant if you're looking for something inside the sport that you should really be looking for entirely outside of BJJ.

In the Gi, there are a few warriors left. Guys like Galvao and Rodolfo who fight as hard as they can asserting their dominance through as sea of spinning inverters and gi magicians, whose faces would most certainly be mauled by baboons.

tumblr_maq77ecMHG1qejf6u.gif

Now that I've been doing BJJ for 3 years now, I do feel that if (knock on wood) some sort of altercation occurres I'll be naturally able to think quick and defend my self with a lot more effectiveness than before starting BJJ.

Did you train any martial arts previously? After training long enough in any martial art you're likely to have a much better sense of how to move and react during a confrontation.

Terrible article. It says jiu jitsu is dead but never says why. He just bitches about the new guards and how they aren't useable in the street.

BJJ competitions are a sporting event, people will evolve techniques to the rules that's the nature of sport. BJJ is far from dead and this guy needs to learn how to address the point of his article let alone begin to support it.

Irrelvancy to what?

I'm so sick of this absurd idea that BJJ has to be 'for' something else, whether it's self defense or MMA.

The history of BJJ is intrinsically linked to self defence and MMA (vale tudo) ... It literally wouldn't exist without them.

I understand the evolution of the sport, I understand that bjj could be practice for different things (mma, SD and sport) but for fuck sakes, keenans worm guard is too much for my taste...

Our gyms almost empty right now but it's always very quiet in the summer

What is this? Is it Brazilian Jiu Jitsu? When did Judo Ne-waza (ground fighting techniques) become BJJ? At what point was BJJ so different that it needed its own distinction?

As judo practitioner this is something I've always wondered ? .... Why do people say Carlos Gracie is the father of BJJ when what he taught his brothers was straight Judo!?!

Irrelvancy to what?

I'm so sick of this absurd idea that BJJ has to be 'for' something else, whether it's self defense or MMA. BJJ is a martial art with a very prevalent sporting component which people enjoy practicing for its own sake. If you want to do MMA, train MMA. If you want to work on LARPing self defense, train Krav Maga or Hapkido. If you like BJJ, train BJJ. But don't expect it to fulfill some other goal outside of you getting good at BJJ. It's only irrelevant if you're looking for something inside the sport that you should really be looking for entirely outside of BJJ.

Irrelevant because its take on all challengers and almost always win, shine or lustre appears to have been dimmed by sport jiu jitsu. that's the perception anyway. in order for me to get exactly what I want from BJJ, I would need to join 2 clubs. unbelievable.

Back