Article: Is BJJ dead?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by B33bs, Jun 5, 2014.

1. B33bs

B33bs Orange Belt

Just read this article...

Here's the full article.

Unfortunately has some truths, specially about BJJ with a GI...

what do you guys think?

2. berimBOWLoh

berimBOWLoh Silver Belt

to me its just evolution of a sport. i dont get how bjj could be dead if its more popular than ever. are we talking self defense bjj?? im doubtful Keenan or whoever is that worried about getting beat up on the street, im sure he will be fine if some untrained, unarmed attacker goes after him, hell he prob wont even have to use the worm guard either.

3. LaBrian

LaBrian Blue Belt

Wrestler thinks BJJ sucks, doesn't like the new types of guards that have evolved to neutralize top game. Film at 11.

4. nooper

nooper Orange Belt

Its dead for me. One place near me is for sport and champions and I don't want that. another place looks TMA and has merciless contracts and I don't want that. its so confusing because BJJ appears to have so many potential training pitfalls that may result in you wasting your time. sad thing is, I tried some judo since I first came on here and even they were telling me how good BJJ is, but how to find what you want? Not sure if I am way off topic or digress too much, but from the perspective of the beginner/ground up, BJJ doesn't seem to make it easy for people to join in and that, in the final analysis may be amongst many reasons why BJJ needs an overhaul or become a lost art.

5. B33bs

B33bs Orange Belt

Now that I've been doing BJJ for 3 years now, I do feel that if (knock on wood) some sort of altercation occurres I'll be naturally able to think quick and defend my self with a lot more effectiveness than before starting BJJ.

I also try to base my game on more "realistic" moves.

I also try to practice no-gi just to keep me "grounded" and more in touch with reality.

6. Lemniscate

Lemniscate White Belt

How can BJJ be dead when it hasn't stopped evolving since its conception?

7. nooper

nooper Orange Belt

Because it may have arm locked itself into a niche cul-de-sac of irrelevancy that might take some pain and time to get out of.

8. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

Article sucks. Just the usual "nothing comes close to the street, not even MMA" bullshit.

9. Difeco

Difeco Blue Belt

I really don't understand what the fuss is all about

Keenan is BETTER than Lo, so he beat him using worm guard

Buchecha is BETTER than Keenan, so he beat him using his techniques

It's not like (and NEVER will be) a guy who have worst jiu jitsu beating a guy with better jiu jitsu.
    Some purists may say "Oh, but that guy trains self defense and can do a better armbar from guard than Miyao"...ok, the fact is HE DID NOT ARMBARRED MIYAO, the skinny brazilian just CHOKED HIM, while TAKING HIS F*CKING BACK

get over it guys...some moves won't be countered, but the better FIGHTER (in those set of rules) will always win.
    until Rodolfo destroyed Keenan, his guard was unpassable -_-

10. Aesopian

Aesopian Brown Belt

You're not truly alive unless you're beating up some stinky stranger off the street!

11. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

Irrelvancy to what?

I'm so sick of this absurd idea that BJJ has to be 'for' something else, whether it's self defense or MMA. BJJ is a martial art with a very prevalent sporting component which people enjoy practicing for its own sake. If you want to do MMA, train MMA. If you want to work on LARPing self defense, train Krav Maga or Hapkido. If you like BJJ, train BJJ. But don't expect it to fulfill some other goal outside of you getting good at BJJ. It's only irrelevant if you're looking for something inside the sport that you should really be looking for entirely outside of BJJ.

12. Jeff Goldblum69

Jeff Goldblum69 Brown Belt

In the Gi, there are a few warriors left. Guys like Galvao and Rodolfo who fight as hard as they can asserting their dominance through as sea of spinning inverters and gi magicians, whose faces would most certainly be mauled by baboons.

[​IMG]

13. RandomForumUser

RandomForumUser White Belt

Did you train any martial arts previously? After training long enough in any martial art you're likely to have a much better sense of how to move and react during a confrontation.

14. lonewolf210

lonewolf210 Orange Belt

Terrible article. It says jiu jitsu is dead but never says why. He just bitches about the new guards and how they aren't useable in the street.

BJJ competitions are a sporting event, people will evolve techniques to the rules that's the nature of sport. BJJ is far from dead and this guy needs to learn how to address the point of his article let alone begin to support it.

15. Jeff Goldblum69

Jeff Goldblum69 Brown Belt

The history of BJJ is intrinsically linked to self defence and MMA (vale tudo) ... It literally wouldn't exist without them.

16. JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy Purple Belt

Strange article. Just sort of rambled on and on.

17. BJJ_Rage

BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

I understand the evolution of the sport, I understand that bjj could be practice for different things (mma, SD and sport) but for fuck sakes, keenans worm guard is too much for my taste...

18. ajwbjj87

ajwbjj87 Black Belt

Our gyms almost empty right now but it's always very quiet in the summer

19. Fruitsaladsushi

Fruitsaladsushi Blue Belt

What is this? Is it Brazilian Jiu Jitsu? When did Judo Ne-waza (ground fighting techniques) become BJJ? At what point was BJJ so different that it needed its own distinction?

As judo practitioner this is something I've always wondered ? .... Why do people say Carlos Gracie is the father of BJJ when what he taught his brothers was straight Judo!?!

20. nooper

nooper Orange Belt

Irrelevant because its take on all challengers and almost always win, shine or lustre appears to have been dimmed by sport jiu jitsu. that's the perception anyway. in order for me to get exactly what I want from BJJ, I would need to join 2 clubs. unbelievable.