Armbar trouble

Artigo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was practicing an armbar with my partner and at first I couldn't get his arm to fully extend, but once I did I couldn't apply enough pressure to make him tap and it felt like he was digging into my groin and it hurt. Advice?

make sure your hips are close to his body--meaning dont be too far away, make sure your knees are pinched tight together, make sure his thumb is facing up, and then hip up.

Then youll be good to go!

I'll make sure to remember that :redface:

Thanks!

no problem man, when i first started the biggest mistake i made was i used to land in the armbar with my hips far away from his body...meaning i was too far off.

also, if hes super flexible and not tapping, you can take his arm and put it under your armpit...but be careful not to hurt him since thats super tight.

you can see it at 1:55 of this highlight, btw watch the highlight too...its really good!
YouTube - Paulo Sergio Highlight

All in all seriousness, can you wear a cup? One, it protects your cajones from who-knows-what, secondly, it will definitely assist with the armbar, allowing you to really get in there without worrying about crushing the boys. I learned the hardway :) Rolling with a cup on isn't bad, you'll get used to it in a few minutes.

getting a cup is the worst idea ever, it will mean you won't have an incentive to learn how to do the armbar correctly... i am not against cup's per se but getting one to prevent you armbarring your nads is ridiculous

no problem man, when i first started the biggest mistake i made was i used to land in the armbar with my hips far away from his body...meaning i was too far off.

also, if hes super flexible and not tapping, you can take his arm and put it under your armpit...but be careful not to hurt him since thats super tight.

you can see it at 1:55 of this highlight, btw watch the highlight too...its really good!
YouTube - Paulo Sergio Highlight
Ok cool, I'm pretty sure if I get closer next time I should be able to solve the problem.

And jeez that guy is really good

All in all seriousness, can you wear a cup? One, it protects your cajones from who-knows-what, secondly, it will definitely assist with the armbar, allowing you to really get in there without worrying about crushing the boys. I learned the hardway Rolling with a cup on isn't bad, you'll get used to it in a few minutes.

I figured it would probably slip out

You should always wear a cup grappling. If anyone at your school uses combat base, your nads will get crushed continually. It doesn't make sense not wear a cup.

You should always wear a cup grappling. If anyone at your school uses combat base, your nads will get crushed continually. It doesn't make sense not wear a cup.

I'll have to figure out how to keep it from falling out of my shorts.

don't wear a cup. that's fucking stupid. learn to protect yourself.

hips close, knees tight. twist your hips towards the head, pull the hand to that side.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but consult BMA_MAT.

I was practicing an armbar with my partner and at first I couldn't get his arm to fully extend, but once I did I couldn't apply enough pressure to make him tap and it felt like he was digging into my groin and it hurt. Advice?

get you hips closer to his shoulder and pinch your knees together as tight as you possibly can.

Cups hurt more than not unless the cup is really nice and fitted well.

I support cup use in grappling, if you don't, i tend to assume you don't do much grappling.

Use a cup with a supporter, not compression shorts with a pocket. Problem solved.

am i reading this right? there are actually posters advising this guy NOT to wear cup? wtf?

anyways TS try clamping down on your opponnent with your legs, instead of just isolating the arm and trying to extend it, islate the arm and move it away from his body with your legs.

am i reading this right? there are actually posters advising this guy NOT to wear cup? wtf?

anyways TS try clamping down on your opponnent with your legs, instead of just isolating the arm and trying to extend it, islate the arm and move it away from his body with your legs.
I know of exactly 0 people who wear a cup in my class. It doesn't bother me. It gives me an incentive to escape N/S lol.

Cups are too fucking annoying and restrictive. Occasionally you might get the boys smashed, but that's part of BJJ.

I laugh at guys who go to class all geared out with a cup, mouthpiece, and ear protection. Jesus, suck it the fuck up and be a man.

use your legs to squeeze his arm... and then do the same with your balls. make sure one is on each side of the arm it will hurt u but its helping to secure it...

Back