Armbar trouble

getting a cup is the worst idea ever, it will mean you won't have an incentive to learn how to do the armbar correctly... i am not against cup's per se but getting one to prevent you armbarring your nads is ridiculous

Agreed, you should be pinching your thighs together and hyperextending the joint from there, not on your nads. Don't get a cup so you can train bad armbars.

Agreed, you should be pinching your thighs together and hyperextending the joint from there, not on your nads. Don't get a cup so you can train bad armbars.

I think that's the biggest thing, so I'll try without a cup and just improve my technique.

I think that's the biggest thing, so I'll try without a cup and just improve my technique.

I've seen a couple guys training with cups and they tend to do the armbar on their nads. When they do this they don't pinch their thighs together and it makes it really easy to pull your arm out. Just remember if the elbow is crushing your nads, stop and readjust it so it isn't and remember to pinch your thighs together (when drilling technique of course).

am i reading this right? there are actually posters advising this guy NOT to wear cup? wtf?

anyways TS try clamping down on your opponnent with your legs, instead of just isolating the arm and trying to extend it, islate the arm and move it away from his body with your legs.

we are advising him that having correct technique is the answer, not hide your problem by using a cup as a fulcrum

don't wear a cup. that's fucking stupid. learn to protect yourself.

hips close, knees tight. twist your hips towards the head, pull the hand to that side.

Just tuck it nice and between your legs. That way it's not in the way at all you can armbar wherever you want!

am i reading this right? there are actually posters advising this guy NOT to wear cup? wtf?

anyways TS try clamping down on your opponnent with your legs, instead of just isolating the arm and trying to extend it, islate the arm and move it away from his body with your legs.

Fuckin crazy huh?

Wear a goddamn cup.

I took a sore one and spent weeks thinking i had ball cancer until i went to the docs and i was only badly bruised. lol

I don't have any advice concerning the move... but here's what is and what isn't about cups.

Yeah, it feels great to have one, but be prepared for the fact that you can't use it when competing in bjj.

taken from International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation, paragraph 6

Wrestling shoes or any type of shoes, head gear, shirts under the gi (except for girls) and any kind of protectors that can alter the outcome of the match in any way are not allowed in competition.
Thus, cups are not allowed during competition. not in Sweden anyways haha.

If you're doing mma, I'm all for the cup.

lol this is what I was thinking too while reading these posts. I agree that people might get a bit lazy with technique and use their cup as a fulcrum too much, but overall I really can't see myself rolling without a cup anymore. I rolled for a few months with no cup when I started, but as soon as I started using a cup it was a whole new world; my arm bar efficiency went up like 300%.

No matter how hard you squeeze your knees together, a guy with a strong arm will fight for a while and his elbow will eventually start crushing your balls, which is very annoying. With a cup you can throw up arm bars from any position and not worry about your balls being crushed. Also, when I go for bicep/forearm crushers from guard I don't like the guys hand directly feeling up my balls, but that's just me. Oh and another thing, when people are passing your guard getting kneed in the nuts or getting a knee pressed into your nuts really isn't uncommon and not having a cup makes it way worse.

Anyway, my advice for TS is to practice good quality setups for arm bars instead of just throwing them up. If you set it up properly you can do it as slow as you want and the person will be helpless to defend. When my instructor pulls arm bars on me I can see it coming from a mile away, but I can't do anything about it because no matter what he's doing it always hurts and he's always pressed tight against my body so I can't escape anywhere. When you are in guard, use the arm bar to try to sweep into spider web position from which you can work arm crushers and various other techniques to lock in the arm bar. If you have side control work your knee across the belly/chest and work arm locks on the opposite arm while setting up your arm bar.

knees together. extend hips up lean body back...and dont forget to make sure his thumb is faceign upwards away from his body...also make sure your hips are up high enough on his body. Once you get the concept and apply it right you will correct the problem

this is a long discussion but...

when you do an armlock you need to squeeze the legs together. when you squeeze the legs together, your opponents arm will stay in that place and will not move. If the arm in stable the it will not go against the groin. If you are at a weird angle, submit against the leg and will avoid from hitting the groin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back