Arm Wrestling Question

FedorTheBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if 2 people have equal strength who has the advantage if one perosn has a short arm and one person has a long arm? And also why? thanks

Alright, let me answer this from a perspective of actually having paid attention to the Armwrestling Championships. Neither has a distinct advantage per se. Instinctively the shorter-arm guy is going to try to hook, meaning yank the longer-arm guy's arm directly towards his body as opposed to just to the one-side. If he gets this full hook the match is pretty much over. However, longer-arm guys tend to want to top-roll, meaning they keep their arm straighter up and down and use wrist-leverage to try and come over the top of the shorter-arm guy's hand and then lean on him and push it down.

So the advantage goes to whichever guy gets his technique off the fastest, first, and also usually goes to who has the better conditioning/endurance incase he gets in trouble.

^^ What he said.

Also, if the guys are going against Travis Bagent, it doesn't matter. He's the man.

I had an arm wrestle with one of my friends from the gym yesterday. We have pretty similar strength (I am a slightly better for legs whilst he is a bit better for pressing and we have equal bicep and forearm strength). However, he is 6ft 2 and I am 5' 10" and he has longer arms. He beat me on the right handed arm wrestle (although it was close) and we drew left handed (i.e. it went on so long that we decided to be pussies and quit). I found that because I had the shorter arm it was more difficult for me to push up to get "over the top" (film reference there) to pull him down. From my experience I think that the person with the longer arm has the advantage, although maybe it might even out if you had a proper arm wrestling table?

I had the shorter arm it was more difficult for me to push up to get "over the top" (film reference there) to pull him down. From my experience I think that the person with the longer arm has the advantage, although maybe it might even out if you had a proper arm wrestling table?

No, if you would have hooked him you'd have been in a much better position. This is a question of technique that would have equalized his longer arm. If you have a shorter arm, top-rolling is useless.

King Kabuki said:
No, if you would have hooked him you'd have been in a much better position. This is a question of technique that would have equalized his longer arm. If you have a shorter arm, top-rolling is useless.

So if I hook him then I should win? I guess when I've armwrestled in the past I have never really thought too much about the position and twisting of my wrists.

Isn't he only "the man" left handed? I believe he gets beat right handed a lot.

Yeah theres tons of technique involved, when i was younger i thought it was all about strength but like the one guiy said there so much more to it. Those arm wrestleing champs are crazy strong, The champ a couple of years ago could close #3 gripers and coulde raise a 300 lbs barebell with his forearms,

Isn't he only "the man" left handed? I believe he gets beat right handed a lot.

Ron Bath > Travis Bagent. Ron wins routinely in his weight class and both arms.

I posted these in another thread, but since this is a more relevant thread I'll re-post them here:

http://www.pullingjohn.com/matches/...?id=138&vid=wmv

And for those of you who like me, have some time on your hands in the evenings:

http://www.pullingjohn.com/matches/...p?id=87&vid=wmv

It's like the first one, only with about 12 guys in a row. Or more, I lost count.

So if I hook him then I should win? I guess when I've armwrestled in the past I have never really thought too much about the position and twisting of my wrists.

Yes. Hooking takes away the leverage of the arm-height. You yank his arm toward your body, and if you're successful at getting the advantage you just pull back with your bodyweight. You shouldn't even need a lot of arm-strength to do it, just have to be quick about getting the hook. But this is where you'll find out how strong he really is. Because he'll be at a disadvantage and have to use strength to get out of it. This happens every time Travis Bagent and Christian Binnie go heads-up:

http://www.pullingjohn.com/matches/match.php?id=124&vid=wmv

yeah, Ron Bath is the man...it makes me wanna arm wrestle badly after watching those videos...too bad its like 12:30, I dont think anyone will be that into it...

Back