Arm Wrestling Legend Devon Larrat grappling with Firas Zahabi

I'm not disputing that, I just pointed out that I find extremely unlikely that someone would think about going for a clavicle grab unless he train in some traditional martial arts where they teach it or something like that, I have never seen it happen since it's not intuitive and people are usually unaware of their effectiveness.
Your point about throat grabs is perfectly valid tough.
Would a clavicle grab be legal in ibjjf tournaments?

Would a clavicle grab be legal in ibjjf tournaments?
I haven't read the rules but I don't think they are, it would not make sense if they are legal in IBJJF competitions when they are banned in MMA lol

I haven't read the rules but I don't think they are, it would not make sense if they are legal in IBJJF competitions when they are banned in MMA lol
Are they banned in MMA?

Good ol' anaconda gwarch.

(Listen, Maia put his dvd out before Marcelo or anyone else did; if anyone gets to put their own special name on it for bjj it's him.)

It would be interesting to see how Firas would be able to tap this guy if he didn't have DDS' leg locking system or didn't know/use leg locks. LLs seem like a good way to tap bigger and stronger dudes.

I noticed a long time ago how well leg locks worked against big guys. Minowa for instance tapped several big guys with leg locks back in the day. Big guys generally aren't that fast in transition and aren't used to leg locks. They can't muscle out of it like they do with other submissions against smaller people.

I used to tap a lot of people, especially big guys, with them back in the day. That was before I knew the DDS stuff and more had single techniques rather than a system. Even back then I didn't always use them because I kept beating everyone with the same set up so it made grappling boring. This was a good 15-18 years ago.

Yep, that's the conversation that got it started. Someone said he was afraid of tapping to a woman and it went from there.

I think it's smart of him. They can call him a misogynist, but he'll never be on the wrong side of a "me too" accusation. Let the feminists cry.

He's religious, I don't see an issue with it.

But man, you can't win some times.

Devout and ethical coach literally does not touch female athletes or students: "You monster! Woman hater!"

Meanwhile you got another coach fighting extradition after raping a teenager.

I still think with clavicle grabs Devon gets a hold and finishes him.

Isn't the issue exactly the same as can openers and Homer chokes? If your arm is posted out on their body like that all they have to do is open guard and armbar the attacking limb.

Isn't the issue exactly the same as can openers and Homer chokes? If your arm is posted out on their body like that all they have to do is open guard and armbar the attacking limb.
If Devon got Homerchoke or can opener...good good
Spinal fracture or trachea collapse.
And no, Firas isn't armbarring those bent arms before sleeping or getting severe injury.

Thinking about him doing any kind of neck crank is sickening but can opener probably the worst

I believe someone with Devon's inhuman grip strenght would cause severe if not potentially fatal damage to your throat before you can armbar him.
Your best is not let his hands come anywhere near your neck.

If that happens I roll onto my stomach and pretend to play Eduardo Telles turtle guard until the round ends. Then in the next roll I can get back to worrying about the dude who's putting his sweaty nuts in my face so I can sweep him, get on top, take his back and finish him off from behind.

Underrated post.

Devout and ethical coach literally does not touch female athletes or students: "You monster! Woman hater!"

If it's religious I see an issue with it

I'm from the same area, Firas lives in my province, gender equality and woman respect is very strong here. If a religion goes against that I have a problem with it.

Everybody roll with everybody in BJJ in Quebec, it's pretty much a Firas only thing for what I know. He goes against a very progressive culture.

I'm from the same area, Firas lives in my province, gender equality and woman respect is very strong here. If a religion goes against that I have a problem with it.

Everybody roll with everybody in BJJ in Quebec, it's pretty much a Firas only thing for what I know. He goes against a very progressive culture.

If a woman refused to roll with men for religious reasons, are you saying you wouldn't respect that and would have an issue with it?

I believe in equality but also freedom of religion.

If a woman wants to wear a sports hijab to class and cover her hair, that's fine.

If she doesn't want to drill or roll with guys that's fine.

If a coach was saying women are not allowed to enter the gym or train on the premises at all, that would be discrimination and would be illegal in the US.

Last edited:
Good ol' anaconda gwarch.

(Listen, Maia put his dvd out before Marcelo or anyone else did; if anyone gets to put their own special name on it for bjj it's him.)
But Demian Maia calls it sucuri guard / snake guard, not anaconda guard. He never uses the term anaconda guard in the instructional.

But Demian Maia calls it sucuri guard / snake guard, not anaconda guard. He never uses the term anaconda guard in the instructional.

>Demian Maia Science of Jiu Jitsu 2 - Intro to the Anaconda Guard

Alright friend.

>Demian Maia Science of Jiu Jitsu 2 - Intro to the Anaconda Guard

Alright friend.
The person who named the DVD came up with that. But who says that person was Demian Maia. I would wager Maia filmed the videos, and other people wrote everything.

Found the video below where he talks a little about religion. I knew Firas was Lebanese descent but didn't realize he was Muslim (a lot of Lebanese in the U.S. are Christian). Even so, the muslim american friends I've hung out with (I trained BJJ with two of them) clearly had no issue rolling with women. I suppose it comes down to how he was raised and of course his own choices on the matter. If religion is really the reason he doesn't want to roll with women then I take back my earlier post deriding it as being funny.

But who says that person was Demian Maia. I would wager Maia filmed the videos, and other people wrote everything.

There is no basis for such an assumption. If he didn't like one thing and wanted it to be another, then it would be that. Otherwise, whatever it is is what he approved of.

I respect religious practices as long as the behavior is consistent and reasonable, but I can see your point here. In most metro areas in North America, it would be unusual to pull off not rolling with women on religious grounds. Especially given Firas says in the video above that "99% of his friends were Christian or Jewish."

I won't judge the man if it's really about religion but Firas strikes me as a practical man and it seems out of character to me. I just think it's more likely about business and avoiding a me too situation.

Back