Arm drag counters/defense?

But it seems you cant really punish them for attempting it.

A botched triangle equals a guard pass. Botched armbar equals pass. Botched kimura is a pass. Botched spider guard is a pass. Screwed up scissor sweep is a pass.

is the armdrag completely safe? o_O

as far as I can tell, it's just tiring to fail repetitively. It's really what I'm always trying to do when I don't see any other options and more hoping to get him a little off to go for something else than to actually get the arm all the way across. Is definitely tiring and frustrating constantly digging for that grip

10 years, but did you find a counter Calibur?

I did actually!

yet another situation avoided by tozi passing.
ist2_168272-golden-hammer.jpg

I agree 100%

Whenever I try the tozi pass I'm too busy being triangled by white belts to worry about arm drags.

Don't worry. As soon as you learn to hold on to the ankle until you step over you can worry about new stuff like what kind of sub you want to use to finish or how much pressure you feel like putting on their rib cage.

Move laterally across his body and block his path to go behind you. (On the feet or on the ground.)

So are we talking about closed guard here? Because from closed guard, there's not really an effective counter that I know of. You have to recognize the danger and not let the guard player start the arm drag. Keep your elbows slightly flared (very slightly, don't want to give up kimura/omoplata attacks) whenever you're in closed guard and you should be able to prevent the arm drag from getting off the ground. My whole closed guard game is based off this threat of the arm drag to go to the side, and I find that the only thing that makes it hard to get started is if the top player keeps his elbows pointing outward.

Also, start using Tozi passes against whoever does this too you a lot. It's basically impossible to arm drag against a dedicated Tozi style passer.

Question about the Tozi pass: how the hell do you stop the bottom guy from transitioning straight into an omoplata?

Proper shoulder position and pressure. You can't just take an underhook and move to the side. his body needs to twist a bit.

If they are not quick enough and don't get in close you can arm drag them back using the arm they tried to arm drag you with.

I always felt like re draggin a closed guard arm drag just pulled them on my back faster lol

What are you doing that im obviously missing?

Question about the Tozi pass: how the hell do you stop the bottom guy from transitioning straight into an omoplata?

Presh.

To throw up an omoplata, the guarder has to be able to rotate almost 180 degrees and get his hips facing the same direction as your head. If you're doing any variation of the Tozi pass correctly, you will be putting so much pressure on him that he can't complete that rotation. I have literally never been omoplataed while using any Sao Paulo pass variation, though I have been pendulum swept and had my back taken once or twice. If you're really worried about the omoplata, about the only time you're in any danger is when you're clearing to side control, so just smash to half guard instead of going full side and then change to a different variation to pass half.

popovitch says to interlock your fingers while keeping the arms near to your torso and lay your elbows on the other guy's stomach , this in no gi with the bottom guy in closed guard.

Last edited:
Don't worry. As soon as you learn to hold on to the ankle until you step over you can worry about new stuff like what kind of sub you want to use to finish or how much pressure you feel like putting on their rib cage.

Holy shit dude, I actually managed to do the tozi pass properly today. Granted, this was against the shittiest blue belt of the academy, but I'm still pretty happy about it.

We were doing some positional drilling from closed guard, and I took my double lapel grip and was looking to get his sleeve so I could go into my standing passes. Then this fucker put his hand behind his head so I couldn't grip his sleeve. I was like "okay bruh" and switched my grips to the other side to get his other arm. Then he put that arm behind his head also and gave me this c'unty smile like he was doing something clever.

I got really pissed at this stalling bullshit during situational sparring so I grabbed a tight head and arm (he put his arm behind his head so he basically gave away the position), smashed the hell out of his jaw and did the tozi pass.

What really clicked this time was me actively putting one knee behind his ass so I could move to the side easier. This guy is also pretty short and stubby so opening his legs was really easy. Is there something I need to focus on when doing this pass on taller people, cos that's where I usually run into problems.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back