Arm Bars and Genitalia

Ive done bjj for 3.5 years and never worn a cup..

Cups are so uncomfortable - and i hate jock straps they look like open back thongs.

I think my balls have been busted once.. ever.

You guys just need to learn to protect your junk.. Its not difficult.. If you see a knee coming towards your vitals.. MOVE.

A cup is one more thing to forget before practice, one more thing to wash, one more thing to buy, and one more thing to wear..

I don't wear a cup. I've never taken a bad shot to the balls. If it ever happens I'll probably start.

A cup is one more thing to forget before practice, one more thing to wash, one more thing to buy, and one more thing to wear..

Step 1: Put it in your bag
Step 2: put it on when you change
Step 3: it comes off when you change
Step 4: you wash it with everything else
Step 5: it goes back ni your bag with everything else
Subnote: it's not expensive

Comfort is the only thing I've really ever understood as a complaint (or some sort of "lol it's cheating" ethics debate I guess), but honestly, I don't even notice mine. Make sure it fits well etc and you are good to go.

The thread title is very matbattle-ish, but there is some good info in here.

Armbars - you can try hard to avoid it but their arm will touch your junk

Kneebars - there's no avoiding it, their thigh is all on your junk

Here's the worst one...when you get mount, put the ankle hooks in and drive your hips down...that's pressing your junk straight into some other dude's abdomen

If you can not wear a cup through all of that and not feel uncomfortable...

I hate it when you hit the tip of your genitals on the mat. Stings like a mofo.

If your balls are getting contact during armbar drills you really have to be doing something wrong. Either that or you are built a lot differently than the rest of us. Feel free to use a cup, but fix your technique first.

I do not wear a cup 99+% of the time. While rolling I have no recollection of any bad contact. I've had a couple close calls drilling knee up the middle passes and one time a little bruising from finishing a knee bar in a tournament (had to hyperextend the leg pretty far before he would tap).

So, I went to my second ever Jiu Jitsu class the other day, and needless to say I practiced arm bars for the majority of the session. The thing is though, a lot of times I went to extend the arm I ended up crushing my balls, and today I have a bruised pelvis. Am I doing them wrong or is this a normal experience? I have compression shorts and can put a cup in there, but would that affect my training?

It'll affect your training slightly because a cup will give your armbars more leverage. So if you wear a cup one day and don't wear a cup the next day, it will definately throw off your arm bar attempts. Cups make the arm bars a lot tighter.

If you aren't wearing a cup, you have to put their arm either slightly to the left or right of your balls so you dont hurt yourself.

If your balls are getting contact during armbar drills you really have to be doing something wrong. Either that or you are built a lot differently than the rest of us.

Correct about no ball contact during drills, but those are drills. When you're rolling and you get ahold of an arm and reel it in like a mofo to lock in the armbar, yes you do pinch your knees together to lock the arm in, but when you pull it in quickly and extend your hips, ball contact is bound to happen. If this has never happened to you, you're awesome. You're also awesome if you can perform a kneebar without your balls all over the other guy's leg. The rest of us wear cups.

If the original poster would just buy a cup this thread wouldn't exist.

This is very common problem. The best thing I have found to do is to squeeze the legs together so that the arm will stay in place and not submit against the groin. Additionally, if you are on your back going for the armlock and there is a weird angle you can submit against the side of the leg and not against the groin area.

Back