Law Arkansas Bans Child Trans Surgery, Puberty Blockers For Minors, heads to governor’s desk

Can we bump this thread? The governor vetoed this bill and now the state legislature has to decide if it will override his veto.

Honestly, I think the governor did the right thing. As a Republican, we don't want the nanny state saying what choices we can and cannot make in our private lives. Also, Republicans are traditionally the ones who value the doctor and patient decision making relationship. Finally, the physician community is against this bill because of its overbroad language and overreaching application. Our party is the one that should be most aligned with the clinician community so I find it very compelling that this bill is opposed by the pediatricians because it criminalizes individual medical decisions.

If the legislature wants to try again, I think it should rewrite the bill and address all these concerns rather than override the veto. We aren't the dems, we dont rule by fiat.
Looks like they've already overridden the veto. ACLU is surely drafting a lawsuit as we speak. No way this will stand.

Back