International Argentine submarine missing with 44 aboard: ARA San Juan's imploded wreckage has been found.

damn near everything on a sub is toxic once it starts to burn

remember buddy that lit a bag of rags on fire on the miami a few years back so he could fuck off from work? $500M later...

Argentine navy detects noises that could be signal from missing sub
By John Kirby, Ana Melgar and Joe Sterling | Mon November 20​
Argentina's navy on Monday picked up sounds that could be a distress signal from the crew of a missing submarine and said the captain reported a "failure" in the vessel's battery system before it disappeared.

Two vessels searching for the submarine heard a "noise" at a depth of about 656 feet, said navy spokesman Enrique Balbi from Buenos Aires. The location of the noise coincides with the route the submarine would have taken on the way to its home port in Mar del Plata.

A US Navy P-8A Poseidon aircraft assisting in the search was brought to the area to record an acoustic footprint of the sound. The file was later taken to the Mar del Plata base for analysis.
"We are processing this information," Balbi said.

The sonar systems of the two ships detected noises sounding like tools being banged against the hull of a submarine, according to a senior US Navy official familiar with the Navy's assistance in the search for the Argentine vessel. The official said that crews of submarines in distress bang on the vessel's hull to alert passing ships to their location.

The missing submarine -- ARA San Juan -- has a crew of 44.

The Argentine navy was able to fix the rough location of the sounds the two ships picked up and is now concentrating its search in an area of 35 square nautical miles, approximately 330 miles off the coast, the official said.

The sub was heading from a base in southern Argentina's Tierra del Fuego archipelago to Mar del Plata. It was scheduled to arrive there Sunday.

'Failure' reported in the vessel's battery system

The vessel's captain reported a "failure" in the vessel's battery system shortly before it disappeared last week, Navy spokesman Gabriel Galeazzi said.

After he reported the sub had experienced a "short circuit," he was told to "change course and return to Mar del Plata," said Galeazzi.

This type of problem is considered routine and the vessel's crew was reported safe, he added.

The Argentine navy had one more communication with the captain before the sub went missing, said Galeazzi. The navy did not give details of the content of that final communication.

Clock is ticking

In the "worst-case scenario," the missing sub could run out of oxygen in two days, Balbi said.

Under normal circumstances, the vessel has sufficient fuel, water, oil and oxygen to operate for 90 days without external help, Balbi said, and the vessel could "snorkel" -- or raise a tube to the surface -- "to charge batteries and draw fresh air for the crew."

If the sub is bobbing adrift on the surface and the hatch is open, it will have an available air supply and enough food for about 30 days, he said.

If it is immersed and cannot raise a snorkel, oxygen may last about seven days. When the sub last made contact on Wednesday, five days ago, it was immersed, Balbi said.

"This phase of search and rescue is critical," Balbi said. "This is why we are deploying all resources with high-tech sensors. We welcome the help we have received to find them."
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/20/americas/argentina-missing-submarine/index.html

Last edited:
God this gave me goosebumps. I can't imagine the terror they're feeling if they're still alive

Lord have mercy. I am PRAYING for that they're found safe and sound.

They're searching for a little sub in the middle of the ocean in this kind of weather:

If it doesn't surface or found tomorrow, the sub crew would be completely out of air (and that's not factoring in the bad stuff, like oxygen lost to the fire on board, or CO2 scrubbers not working due to malfunctioning batteries).

I think the families should start preparing for the worst now.

Last edited:
When i was a kid i was in love with subs, i remember as a child going to the Disneyland submarine voyage and being thrilled.

Then i read 20,000 leagues under the sea and everything changed, specially when they get trapped under the glacier, that shit changed my whole tune.

They're searching for a little sub in the middle of the ocean in this kind of weather:

If it doesn't surface or found tomorrow, the sub crew would be completely out of air (and that's not factoring in the bad stuff, like oxygen lost to the fire on board, or CO2 scrubbers not working due to malfunctioning batteries).

Yeah, they are all but dead. “Buried in that great tomb that knows no sound.”

Good chance this will be like that Russian sub that sunk. After recovery they’ll find out that people were still alive for a time. We just couldn’t get to them fast enough. Terrible terrible feeling.

On the bright side, asphyxiation isn’t violent or painful.

This is unbelievably sad. Always had a fear of depths, can't imagine going out that way. Hoping for the best but based off the information provided it doesn't look good.

Do the subs have escape pods? Or what is their escape procedure if anything? Are all submariners trained in scuba? Cant they just put on the mask, and swim out with the tanks?

Back