• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Are you ok with “win by any means” champs like Izzy?

I'll put this in a different angle.

Let's say he chases the finish and gets caught (similar to what nearly happened to Leon Edwards about an hour earlier). What are the odds that the subject of this thread is "he's a bum"? Pretty damn high in my estimation

Anderson had 2 lackluster fights during his run, Adesanya is already passed that. It's pretty obvious by now he's a less entertaining fighter.

The conversation wasn't who was more entertaining though was it? I wouldn't ever say Izzy was. I'm talking about the fighting styles.

He said Izzy's fighting style was tiring because he's a counter striker. I answered with logic.

That's fine unless you are saying something different than the way you fight. Floyd for example had no problem talking about his defense and fight IQ. People knew what they were getting into with Floyd and what type of fight Floyd would be using in his fights. Izzy talks about knocking fighters out and how his striking is on another level compared to everyone else. Playing it safe in a fight is fine if that's your style, but Izzy wants to fight in a different way, his talking is an example of that. He wants the KO/TKO highlight reel finishes, he just ends up fighting safe when he is fighting instead. People expect him to be the next Anderson Silva, he sees himself as a better version of Silva. But they are not fighting the same and he won't be able to outdo Anderson Silva with the way he is fighting his fights. Anderson Silva has a collection of highlight reel finishes in his UFC MW title wins/defenses, that's what Adesanya is competing against legacy vs legacy. Point fighting won't get him above Anderson Silva when it's all said and done. I'm sure he understands that as well.

True, Izzy talks a lot of shit.

As long as we get a devastating finish every now and then. His style just works

Idk why everyone is trashing Izzy. Not every performance can be a brutal finish when you're defending the belt. You can critize Vettori for not going all out to take it to the champ.

cause its a bunch of basement dwelling retards for whom 90% have never done a sport and 99% never a combat sport. Calling Izzy a point fighter gives no credit to Vetorri.
he traded his legs for protecting his head. the default here just shows how stupid the masses really are for a lot of things.

Shertards lol, 99.9% couldn't get through round 1 of the warmup of a light sparring class.

Not so entertaining but concede that winning is their objective and unified rules do not help situation. Change the rules so like Pride, closest to finish overall fight not rounds etc… Izzy still wins with same effort but he or his opponents might try harder to finish.

True, Izzy talks a lot of shit.
I'm fine with the shit talk. Just back it up or try to back it up. Winning is one thing, but winning the way he says he's going to is another thing. Even with Conor losing, at least he is trying to KO fighters like he says he's going to do. So with him, at least he's trying to back it up. Which makes for exciting fights win or lose for Conor.

I know it doesn't matter, but I think Max won the second. Way more valid than Vettori claiming he beat Izzy in either fight LOL.
Vettori admits in a recent interview he lost the second at least

It makes me sad that if Anderson and Machida were fighting today people would be calling their style "tiresome" after one or two fights.
Nope. From Anderson's title win vs. Rich Franklin to his final successful title defense, he finished 13 of 15 fighters. This includes 3 fights at LHW and a win over Travis Lutter that didn't officially count cause Lutter missed weight. Starting with Israel's initial interim MW championship win, he's finished 2 out of 6 fights (including his decision loss to Jan). There's no comparison. And Machida was a lot more fun to watch than boring Israel.

This is just exaggerated, and the typical latest fights critique. The absolute clinic and destruction he put on Costa was only like 9 months ago. When Israel finishes someone again you won't hear any of this again until he wins a decision again, and vice versa. Anyone who's not ok with it, just has to deal with it and that's it.
It soo annoying to see threads like this when his last couple fight he totally knock out a undefeated fighter and tried to win the LHW belt

dfder498a030021c6fc317.gif

Yeah I got no problem with it. We have a ton of fights that make up for the boring ones and plenty of five rounders now too so it doesn't bother me in the least if a champ is a point fighter. I like the idea of two fighters, each with a skill set and level of ability fighting to see who is better that night and the only way we truly see which combination of ability and skill is superior, on that night, is if they fight to what they know are their strengths. I guess I'm far more for the sport of it than the entertainment.

I always likened him to the Tiki-Taka brand of football... Which ironically often uses a formation that doesn't have a striker.

Marmite though, some love it and some fall asleep.
lol people were saying at the time that tiki-taka was the best football ever played. wtf are you talking about?

I'm fine with it. I don't LIKE it, it's not fan friendly, but who am I to complain about how a fighter chooses to manage and navigate their career? Fact of the matter is is that a boring wins are better for a fighter and their legacy than exciting losses

He's doing what he feels he has to do to ensure he gets the most out of his title reign and limited window of opportunity to make good money.

lol people were saying at the time that tiki-taka was the best football ever played. wtf are you talking about?
Yes like I said ... Some people love it.
<WhatIsThis>

Nope. From Anderson's title win vs. Rich Franklin to his final successful title defense, he finished 13 of 15 fighters. This includes 3 fights at LHW and a win over Travis Lutter that didn't officially count cause Lutter missed weight. Starting with Israel's initial interim MW championship win, he's finished 2 out of 6 fights (including his decision loss to Jan). There's no comparison. And Machida was a lot more fun to watch than boring Israel.

The comparison was he said counter striking gets boring. I didn't think it was that hard. In no way did I try and claim Izzy to be better than Anderson or anything like that, read clearly man, I even explained it in the post below. Izzy was a counter striker who definitely isn't boring to watch. Guess who else wasn't? Machida and Anderson, hence the comparison.

Why was Machida more fun to watch? He had the same amount of finishes Izzy had after 11 fights in the UFC. Same amount of decisions. Just admit you don't like Izzy man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bakedboy
Back