Are you ok with “win by any means” champs like Izzy?

The goal is to win the fight by any means under the rules of the UFC.

Not doing that means you are NOT a fighter.

ANY fighter that doesn't try to win by any means possible will not become a champion.
That's fine unless you are saying something different than the way you fight. Floyd for example had no problem talking about his defense and fight IQ. People knew what they were getting into with Floyd and what type of fight Floyd would be using in his fights. Izzy talks about knocking fighters out and how his striking is on another level compared to everyone else. Playing it safe in a fight is fine if that's your style, but Izzy wants to fight in a different way, his talking is an example of that. He wants the KO/TKO highlight reel finishes, he just ends up fighting safe when he is fighting instead. People expect him to be the next Anderson Silva, he sees himself as a better version of Silva. But they are not fighting the same and he won't be able to outdo Anderson Silva with the way he is fighting his fights. Anderson Silva has a collection of highlight reel finishes in his UFC MW title wins/defenses, that's what Adesanya is competing against legacy vs legacy. Point fighting won't get him above Anderson Silva when it's all said and done. I'm sure he understands that as well.

Yes.

Two reasons:

1- Not the champs responsibility to take risks in a fight they are clearly winning.

2- His feints, head movement and defense are beautiful, even in a “boring fight.”

I’m not sure i am. He isn’t entertaining because his style is to counter strike, and generally point fight, unless the guy he is fighting is super aggressive.

Do i appreciate his skills? Of course, but after watching him do this once or twice it gets tiresome.

The annoying thing about Izzy is that he would be an incredibly good offensive fighter if he tried to inflict more violence. He has the movement and quickness. Underrated hands too. I don’t think his ceiling is too much higher than where he is just now popularity wise. If he’s cool to cash cheques and get uninspiring safe wins then fair play.

Same goes for Volk except the difference is he lost his last title fight

Honestly, I find the 'more violence' perspective to be a bit selfish and inconsiderate towards the fighters. I personally have not found Izzy's tactics to be 'tiresome' in the least. I mean, he *ruined* Costa and stopped him...and he outclassed Vettori en route to sweeping the cards. I have zero problem with his style.

Of course we enjoy aggression, pursuing the finish, perhaps even some recklessness and chance-taking...but while this is a spectator sport, being exciting is important, etc., this is a not a video game. There are significant risks and potential consequences when competing in MMA.

Expecting a fighter to prioritize entertaining the fans more than protecting themselves and doing whatever it takes to win is naive and selfish of fans. Plus, champs' primary interest should be holding on to the title, as they typically maximize their earning potential that way. I used to just shake my head at the 'fans' who insisted that GSP was 'boring' and should take more chances. IMHO that is an ignorant and selfish take.

"He isn’t entertaining because his style is to counter strike"

Why not? Counter Striking is boring after one or two fights apparently and Anderson is one of the best counter strikers to ever exist.

We can pretend Anderson didn't have his own fair share of lackluster yet dominant fights on his resume aswell if we want.
Yeah Anderson has had some fights that were far more boring than Izzys boring fights. And I'm an Anderson Silva fan too it's just facts.

I like Izzy but obviously I'd like him more if he tried to take his opponent out as though decisions didn't exist. Conor McGregor, Justin Gaethje, Jiri Prochazka are always gonna have more respect from sports fans for this reason.

I’m not sure i am. He isn’t entertaining because his style is to counter strike, and generally point fight, unless the guy he is fighting is super aggressive.

Do i appreciate his skills? Of course, but after watching him do this once or twice it gets tiresome.

The annoying thing about Izzy is that he would be an incredibly good offensive fighter if he tried to inflict more violence. He has the movement and quickness. Underrated hands too. I don’t think his ceiling is too much higher than where he is just now popularity wise. If he’s cool to cash cheques and get uninspiring safe wins then fair play.

mr boring himself gsp said all he cared about was winning an didnt care if you liked it or not.

you think floyd cared what people though?

It makes me sad that if Anderson and Machida were fighting today people would be calling their style "tiresome" after one or two fights.

funny how nobody though gsp was a bad champion

people act like point fighting is some new thing an dont knwo gsp invented it after the matt serra lose.

He's got SEVEN bonuses in eleven UFC fights. Not sure what else you want from him. He fought a guy who creates some stylistic problems for him, but isn't quite good enough to pull it off. But he still has to be a bit careful.

Next fight will be a banger against an improved Bobby Knuckles. I'm expecting a fucking war. I really don't think there's a reason to complain. Not every fight can be a classic. He's going to have those moments as well as more routine defenses. Is normal.

He got the W. Faced some attrition but wasn't in any serious trouble.

Dunno why people are annoyed when a fighter shows good fight IQ.

Its a spectator sport. Safety first fighters are not that exciting compared to the likes of Conor McGregor whose never been in a boring fight win or lose.
Hey Bruh, if Conor loses in July, will you log out and reappear 3 months later?

Izzy is Anderson 2.0

If he keeps working on his grappling, he’ll most definitely surpass Anderson.

Well I believe takedown defens is the reasons Israel doesn't just try to forward pressure certain guys, in particular Romero and Vettori. Vettori made it obvious that it was his entire gameplan.

The Romero fight really needs thrown out if you're going to discuss this in good faith.

Waiting on counters is one thing, but Romero came out and looked like a video game that glitched on the "switch stance" animation for a full minute. If I saw that, I'd sit on the outside and wait for him to do something not clownish, too.

I can kinda see where the people down on Izzy's style are coming from (I don't necessarily agree with it, but I get it), but the Romero fight is such an outlier you can't really include it.

I like how TS asks if we're "ok" with it as if we can do anything about it.

Entitlement generation is entitled.
People have always been entitles. Some to the extent that they felt entitled to owning people. Imagine that.

Tbf, he destroyed Bobby and Costa and the Kelvin fight was a classic. He is a bit like Usman where sometimes hes exciting, sometimes hes boring. I dont really mind because hes an active champion who fights anyone and everyone.

This fight was like hagler-hearns compared to most gsp fights. Wasn't the most exciting fight, but don't think it was boring

Its not my cup of tee but winning is thr only thing that matters if you cant finish somone beatem on the score card and stay alive this is were fight iq comes in

No if they fight often and put it all on the line like Izzy does.

He got the W. Faced some attrition but wasn't in any serious trouble.

Dunno why people are annoyed when a fighter shows good fight IQ.
Right on. 7/11 times, he's warranted a performance bonus. Performance of the Night 5x, Fight of the Night 2x. Literally how is that a "win by any means" fighter? Are people expecting a 100% finishing rate or something? He's fighting top contenders. And he's still putting them away or at least putting on great fights most of the time. And he's active AF as a champion. Don't see why people are complaining. I think he's a weird guy and a bit of a dick, but as a champion and fighter he's top notch.

Back