Are you glad that MMA fans dont like boxing?

The fans are fine. They're idiots, sure, and possibly the dumbest group of fans as a whole in any sport. But the collective intelligence of any sport's fanbase is low, so that's expected.

The over the top hyping that announcers like Joe Rogan do is more irritating. But even that is somewhat expected. The biggest issue I had when I followed MMA more closely was the so-called "journalists", who basically came across as Dana White dick suckers with the way the tried to promote, protect, and apologize on the UFC`s behalf. Save for maybe a guy like Meltzer, if you had media credentials to cover a UFC event then I had no time for you.
The quality of writing on MMA news sites generally is very very poor, too.

The quality of writing on MMA news sites generally is very very poor, too.

I can imagine, M.

The only MMA guy I've read much of in recent years was John Nash of Bloody Elbow. He generally sticks to the business side of things and his pieces were typically based on his own well researched facts. He also covered boxing in a similar way.

I have followed MMA since UFC 1, i intially joined these forums as it was the only MMA forum on the web at the time(before my join date in this forum).

I have followed boxing from a very young age, much longer than MMA, and while there are a lot of divided opinions and the odd idiot or someone who just plain sticks to thier guns...i like that.

I sometimes pop into the MMA forum, and it's social media this, social media that, lets slag off one fighter as my favourite fighter is better yadda yadda yadda.

Are we all just old fuckers who dont stoop to those levels(i know we have plenty of discussions over who is better, or who won said fight), but i never see plain nasty posts just trying to discredit a fighter.

Is that simply the demographic that follows MMA compared to boxing, and am i one of the wierd ones who likes both sports?
Doesnt bother me at all really

But eversince Joe Rogan started saying he liked boxing, MMA fans changed theyre tune and now love both sports

I don't see why I would care, really. The whole "my sport is better than yoooourrs" just screams insecurity.

I like both, but I definitely like boxing more, I pay more attention to fighters etc. Bigger fights usually have higher stakes. I like wrestling the most though.. the European Championships start really soon and I cannot wait!

Whether a boxing fan or MMA fan, we all get our kicks watching one man beat the shit out of another and even pay money for that entertainment. Seriously, how smart are we supposed to be? Let's face it. We're all just dumb neanderthals.

Love boxing. Enjoy mma. Love talking both. Love discussing boxing here. MMA on the internet is literally is like talking politics- hyperbole, moronics and everything is black and white.

If I post I think Castillo beat Floyd I’ll get 90% analysis, 5% nonsense and 5% jibberish

If I post

Frank beat Tito I’ll get 50% duh, 10% I wouldn’t bang prime Jenna her elbows are rank, 10% they never could fight, 10% Connor is GOAT, 10% the bus deserved to get a dolly through the window, and 10% sea level Cain could outbox Lennox.

What ever happened to KidMccoy? He made some quality posts, always enjoyed reading them every time i came into the boxing forum.

Doesnt bother me at all really

But eversince Joe Rogan started saying he liked boxing, MMA fans changed theyre tune and now love both sports

Yeah, we can thank Joe for the MMA guys coming in here and explaining to us that Lomachenko has completely reinvented boxing and all that. I mean, it's good that people are starting to follow the sport, but imagine the arrogance involved in wandering into a sport you know nothing about and not only thinking you're an expert, but pontificating to people who have been following or directly involved in the sport for years.

A particular brand of recent internet culture (not really sure what else to call it, it's hard to define) pervades and even defines a great deal of MMA culture these days, and it really is trash. There is nothing wrong with the sport itself, save for it's massively exploitative promotional structure, but the culture that surrounds it is unlike anything else I've seen in other sports and really is off-putting at times.

Yeah, we can thank Joe for the MMA guys coming in here and explaining to us that Lomachenko has completely reinvented boxing and all that. I mean, it's good that people are starting to follow the sport, but imagine the arrogance involved in wandering into a sport you know nothing about and not only thinking you're an expert, but pontificating to people who have been following or directly involved in the sport for years.

A particular brand of recent internet culture (not really sure what else to call it, it's hard to define) pervades and even defines a great deal of MMA culture these days, and it really is trash. There is nothing wrong with the sport itself, save for it's massively exploitative promotional structure, but the culture that surrounds it is unlike anything else I've seen in other sports and really is off-putting at times.

Oh, I had a teenager explain drop tuning and power chords to me the other day and how it’s revolutionary in music the past few years.

When I tried to explain tony iommi and people even before him I got ‘dude- it’s research, you just don’t know’.

Its millenials, aging hipsters and white trash (what a bunch)

As you said, nothing wrong w the sport itself, its just when the first TUF came out 15 years ago there was this mass hypnosis and brain washing that took place and convinced everyone UFC is/was the best sport ever and at the time both Rogan and White shat on boxing everytime they got a chance, here was Rogan insulting the Morales vs Barrera fight and the TUF bros ate it up.

https://www.instagram.com/joerogan....tm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=15sm2yg0pr1qh

Its millenials, aging hipsters and white trash (what a bunch)

As you said, nothing wrong w the sport itself, its just when the first TUF came out 15 years ago there was this mass hypnosis and brain washing that took place and convinced everyone UFC is/was the best sport ever and at the time both Rogan and White shat on boxing everytime they got a chance, here was Rogan insulting the Morales vs Barrera fight and the TUF bros ate it up.

https://www.instagram.com/joerogan....tm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=15sm2yg0pr1qh

This must have been before he bought his Willie Pep DVDs. What a fucking clown.

A big part of it is how MMA/UFC is marketed and to which demographic. It's for a younger age range than boxing, for an angsty, aggressive, grrr you don't tell me what to do group. This shows with the nu metal, tshirts and tats.

Since boxing has been around a lot longer there's older people into it and it's overall more settled. MMA being more recent also ties the main viewers in the same rise and use of social media.

I knew loads of people that thought mcgregor was gonna flatten mayweather! I even let a couple of my mates round for the fight (they had to buy it though), so I could laugh at them at the end. They were convinced that Floyd couldn’t handle mcgregors power. These guys have watched boxing with me for years. 1 of them is a bookie ffs!

In my experience Most casual boxing fans are completely clueless to the intricate skills involved in the sweet science.

The ones that got me where the people after the match saying if it was a real fight, McGregor would have literally been killed cos he kept giving his back, as though that was the real victory. Who cares? It was a boxing match

UFC probably has the best promotion in the game though. Fans believe every single one of their card is the best fighting the best.
The "best fight the best" is maybe the biggest mma myth ever. MMA Fans are so easily conned by UFC marketing.

Have you checked the threads in the heavies? You can feel your brain wither away reading that shit. So yes.

I have no problem with MMA whatsoever by the way. I'll always prefer boxing though.

Both are exciting sports I love watching. Boxing has a much more mature fan base, however it feels harder to get into because its marketing is kinda bad and I find there are more hardcore fans in Boxing that do not like newer fans (I.e., a "I've been into Boxing since '76, so trust me I know" sort of mentality) than MMA. Those types aren't terribly common though, and I usually learn something when interacting with the knowledgeable fans on here.

The MMA fan base is just a cesspool with the occasional knowledgeable fan, but I can scroll past the idiots (sometimes they can fill up threads so much that they are unreadable though). That being said, I'd rather pass a kidney stone than watch UFC's promo videos, it's so fake and feels "corporate" if that makes any sense. I'd argue MMA marketing is worse from a fight fan standpoint; I couldn't care less about drama, but that seems to be all the UFC wants to push these days.

Last edited:
I like both sports as well mate, you're not alone. But I've noticed plenty of my pals either like one or the other (mostly from a casual perspective).

They seem to think MMA is too violent and so prefer boxing or think boxing is too boring and so prefer MMA.

I always thought the MMA vs boxing thing was stupid. True fight fans appreciate a good fight regardless of the rules.

I'm an MMA fan that likes boxing. MMA is why I joined this site in the first place. But I have to say that in the last year or so I've really swung toward boxing and have only watched a couple of MMA events in that time. There are idiot fans but a lot of guys at my BJJ club watch MMA and they aren't idiots at all. The 'just bleed' types are the problem.

I'm an MMA fan that likes boxing. MMA is why I joined this site in the first place. But I have to say that in the last year or so I've really swung toward boxing and have only watched a couple of MMA events in that time. There are idiot fans but a lot of guys at my BJJ club watch MMA and they aren't idiots at all. The 'just bleed' types are the problem.

I think the idiot MMA fans people complain about are all pretty immature or young or they're shut-ins. I'm guessing that someone who obsesses over whether fighter A ''got to'' fighter B with a tweet or a dumb meme is unlikely to actually be involved in a combat sport, or in any sport or competitive endeavour generally.

Back