Are you allowed to takedown and let up in BJJ for points?

If this is all you've got, it's probably not going to work. I don't see why you'd want to stand up and take them down again anyway. Winning by 2 points is the same as winning by 12. Wouldn't it be easier just to stall in their guard?

One major problem with it: you're gonna get tired as hell. All your matches will go the distance, and 5 minute matches of mostly standup wrestling, even against shitty wrestlers, you are gonna get TIRED. Sometimes you need 4 or 5 matches back to back to win. That's 25 minutes of full-blast wrestling, and some of your opponents will probably be high school wrestlers too.

The other major problem: lots of BJJ guys don't mind getting taken down. They will GIVE you the takedown if they think they might get one of their favorite ground positions out of it. If they get your head in a guillotine, or control it in some other way, you're gonna have a hard time standing back up again. And some of those guys are really good at leglocks when a guy stands in their guard.

After you do it once or twice, though, they are just gonna pull guard, and then you WILL get penalized for disengaging from them. Basically, you need to learn how to pass the guard. Once you have side control, you can stall to your heart's content.

I just started No Gi the other day, have no bjj expirence. BUt I was a wrestler in highscool, and found that my takedown are superior to most my oppostion. In wrestling you can take someone down and let them up to rack up points. Is this allowed in BJJ or No gi?

I'd at least try to work in a pin just to make it look like you're trying to pass guard and get superior position. But yeah, resetting after a takedown is a dick move in BJJ circles.

Or you could take them down, pass there guard and hope to get a submission.

If you let them back up someone will understand, sit guard and then sweep/submit u.

Yep, your tactic will be exposed realy fast.

It really depends on what you want... do you wanna get good at BJJ or win some crappy $2 medals?

I don't see that strategy working to well, maybe at the novice level. But most competitions state if you have wrestling experience you have to compete at beginner or higher. In which case you might get away with it for a match or two but once someone catches on, they would be smart to pull guard, butt scoot, or be prepared for the shot. Anyone at beginner level or higher should have a good enough guard to control you on the ground. And if you keep getting up they may not get up with you and force you to come to the ground. And you'll probably have the same ref for all the matches and he might start telling you to keep it on the ground after a match or two of just going for takedowns.

I don't get what the problem is with all these people, if it's the only thing you feel comfortable with at the moment then capitalize on it. I personally try to use what I am best at when in a tournament, and work out what I am not good at during practice. people that say it's cheap are probably the people that pull guard as soon as the match starts so thats why they are getting so buthurt.

go for it, tons of BJJ dudes brag about choking out judo black belts

If your opponent can't stop it then use it. The goal is to win.
If he's better on the ground then take him down, get the points and get up.
If it's OK in the rules than use it to your advantage.

I really don't see why you would sub grapple if you don't get to use it in a tourney though. But heck, if you ar the takedown king then use it.

Um, there's already judo if you want to try out your gi based throws, wrestling if you want to go no-gi. You'll find plenty of guys in both who will give you a great takedown fight.

If you're doing BJJ, work on subs. Or do you go to math classes and ask a lot of chemistry questions?

It's not so easy to just "back out" of a good guard.

You also can't just back away from your opponent and wave to him to get up.

You will get penalized for stalling if you do it. But many many ref's in BJJ are horrible so you might get away with it.

Penalized how? I'm familiar with wrestling and judo, but not BJJ, so I'm curious as to what the consequences would be if you did this. In wrestling you are "penalized" somewhat for letting a guy get up. He scores 1 point for an escape even though you actually just let him up. Takedowns are worth 2 points though, so if you you do it enough you can rack up a huge lead and maybe get the tech fall.

With the GI on it is absolutely illegal to flee the gaurd, you'll be warned, then points taken, then dqed. Depending on the ref you might not get warned, and depending on how blatant you are with it, he might dq you pretty quick.

Without the Gi you're given alot more lee way with it, but still could be penalized or dqed for stalling.

And after you're first match I'm pretty sure anyone that has seen you implement such a strategy will slap your hand, and sit the hell down and not get up ever, at all.

So if you are intent on doing this you'll win a match or two, but you'll be negated real quick.

jeff monson used this strategy for the longest time, he then developed a solid half guard game making him just as dangerous off his back

It's legal but it's not really cool.. I see it as exploiting the system.

Would you even want to win that way?

You are echoing a lot of people, but what you and everybody else doesn't realize is that it's just as big a part of the opponent to prevent that tactic from working. If a bjj guy can't stop somebody from taking him down repeatedly, he is lacking a large part of his game. You can't criticize somebody on the way he wins as long as he does it legally. It's not cheap, he is using viable techniques and strategies to in a match.

If I went against a guy I KNEW was a better wrestler, I'd pull guard and work my best sweeps. I have a better chance of winning that way attacking and holding him close to me than letting him get space, disengaging and playing a standup war.

You can sometimes get away with it in tournament but you can get warned or penalized for disengaging
I agree. If you don't have control off the TD then you won't get the points as well. One of my guys had 6 throws w/o points in one match, b/c he failed to control aftrewards and move into a position.

Idiots. This takedown-letup strategy is one of the worst things about wrestling. It may be allowed, but it is against the spirit of wrestling and should not be an advantage there too. Let's take a similar example from wrestling for you guys who are so blinded you can only see one strategy:

Brandon Slay said:
If you have dreams to wrestle in High School, College, or in the Olympics, you have to learn how to wrestle. I know your thinking,

bjj guys are just butthurt they don't know solid takedown defense. Its allowed in a sense that you can't make it look like you are just taking them down and letting them up. Its a great strategy and you should use it. In the meantime also learned the groundgame effectively as well, in the higher belts guys won't let you try and cut them to stand up and will submit you

Quoted for truth

Exactly! And stalling is a perfectly good strategy as long as you look busy too! :rolleyes:

Yes it is . . . don't roll your eyes. If your winning and short on time stalling is perfectly acceptable. I'm not going for a triangle from full guard when I'm up two with under a minute left. I'm going to hold your ass down for the 60 to 90 seconds and win, you don't like it then pass.

It's not so easy to just "back out" of a good guard.

You also can't just back away from your opponent and wave to him to get up.

Again, quoted for truth

one thing about doing that... if you do that your opponent will start getting nervous and he will attack with more reckless abandon. meaning if he grabs a hold of something then he will try to crank it hard just because he is down on points.

Back