Are you allowed to takedown and let up in BJJ for points?

Saki_on_Sunday

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I just started No Gi the other day, have no bjj expirence. BUt I was a wrestler in highscool, and found that my takedown are superior to most my oppostion. In wrestling you can take someone down and let them up to rack up points. Is this allowed in BJJ or No gi?

I think its allowed. I would try to pretend you're trying to pass their open guard for a little bit before standing up though.

if thats all you want to do, dont do jiu jitsu. Go back to wrestling. Or you can wait til you are comfortable with some bjj then take everyone down and then submit them.

I don't really see the point of doing this? Taking down people inferior than you and winnng a medal. What's the point though? What's that accomplish? You might as well just wrestle.

Or you could take them down, pass there guard and hope to get a submission.

If you let them back up someone will understand, sit guard and then sweep/submit u.

I wouldn't be to hard on the guy. In wrestling, it isn't considered cheap so why would he think BJJ was any different? Personally, I would just file away the fact that you can take people down and work on the area's you are not good at. When it comes to tourney time, you can use your wrestling to get takedowns, score point and hopefully advance postion or submit them.

I did it just once at the pan pac's 07 and the ref didn't know what had happened he asked me "did someone tap out".
Personally if it's not illlegal i'd say it's fine to do it, i'd actually like having a match where a guy is taking me down all the time, because it doesn't happen alot in bjj and its something different to try to combat against.

You can sometimes get away with it in tournament but you can get warned or penalized for disengaging if you're clearly just trying to rack up points on the takedown without attempting to advance positions on the ground.

But really what I don't get is why you'd want to go to BJJ just to keep wrestling when you should be trying to learn new skills and positions, not just whore points. You do want to learn, right?

I don't do bjj but it seems like you should only do it on a really tough opponent aka someone you can't take any risks on. Get pretty good at subbing and escapes before competing.

bjj guys are just butthurt they don't know solid takedown defense. Its allowed in a sense that you can't make it look like you are just taking them down and letting them up. Its a great strategy and you should use it. In the meantime also learned the groundgame effectively as well, in the higher belts guys won't let you try and cut them to stand up and will submit you

Surely the point of going to a jiu jitsu class is to learn BJJ??

i know i started to learn a hell of a lot more when i started to relax and roll technique rather than roll for the win all the time,

If you a dominant wrestler and just keep taking people down what are you learning?

bjj guys are just butthurt they don't know solid takedown defense. Its allowed in a sense that you can't make it look like you are just taking them down and letting them up. Its a great strategy and you should use it. In the meantime also learned the groundgame effectively as well, in the higher belts guys won't let you try and cut them to stand up and will submit you

Exactly! And stalling is a perfectly good strategy as long as you look busy too! :rolleyes:

Depends...

So comps you can, other you cannot

Make sure you attend the rules meeting. If they do not mention this...be sure to ask during the meeting...

On a personal note, the focus on a submission grappling comp should be "submissions" not scoring points/takedowns

No it's not legal in BJJ.
Once you stand up from someones guard you have to still maintain control otherwise you will be penalised.

No it's not legal in BJJ.
Once you stand up from someones guard you have to still maintain control otherwise you will be penalised.

Penalized how? I'm familiar with wrestling and judo, but not BJJ, so I'm curious as to what the consequences would be if you did this. In wrestling you are "penalized" somewhat for letting a guy get up. He scores 1 point for an escape even though you actually just let him up. Takedowns are worth 2 points though, so if you you do it enough you can rack up a huge lead and maybe get the tech fall.

Im pretty sure I read that NAGA will penalize if they catch you doing that.

Back