• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Are we all in agreement the cage is and always has been better than a ring for MMA

Cage would be better if the referees were faster to break up stalling tactics.

Nobody wants to see 15 minutes of two guys hugging it out in the clinch.

Ring is WAY better for viewing experience and corners beget violence.

Add in the ring orgs usually allowed knees, soccer kicks and stomps and ring>cage
Come on. In early gen Pride they grabbed the ropes all the time to avoid TDs and no, it was not the Vovshanshin Goodridge KO matches, it was typically some japanese grappling cans.

Go the whole way back to 2007... Pride vs UFC!

Cage is the reason wall and stallers have so much success in MMA. Not a fan.

Thanks TS for reminding me that the ring exists, now UFC is ruined for me again lol

For live viewing the cage sucks balls. But for mma competition cage is best. But for a live show. Ring is best.

I'd like to see a ring but instead of ropes it's a fence. Best of both worlds.

The fighting along the cage wall and wall n stall sucks. I don’t mind the ropes. It seems more of a spectacle in the ring and the corners function differently and encourage action more than the soft corners of the octagon

I prefer the ring…

Having ropes is better because then the fighters can get more creative with their finishing moves…

b67uUM.gif

rey-mysterio-619.gif

Lionsault.gif

Not for me. I preferred Pride rules. I found it more exciting.

That thing refs would do where they'd stop the momentum of a fight on the ground then have the fighters move to re-center them in the ring was ridiculous, IMO

Ring.

Because if you can't fence grab. Nothing happens. No point/reposition/purse deduction.

For live viewing the cage sucks balls. But for mma competition cage is best. But for a live show. Ring is best.

Completely agree. The cage can obscure a lot of the action if you're at the show. The ring can be awkward with position resets, trying to GnP near the ropes, etc... but I like that fighters can actually corner a guy on the feet.

Last edited:
In a ring you can't grab onto the fence. It also allows better defense against boxing and head kicks.

The Octagon allows for better lateral movement. It allows for the Dagestani wrestling more, too.

There are pros and cons...

Cage.

Falling thru the ropes, fighters getting drug around by the Ref -- kinda awkward for MMA.

Plus, locking the Cage is s good effect.

I prefer the cage. I don’t like walk and stall, but I appreciate that fighters can’t trap anyone in the corner. Or get weird restarted because of the ropes.

Maybe I’m biased. I started with UFC before I watched vale tudo. And even with the better skills and bottom net in vale tudo, I still prefer the cage.

Added bonus: it distinguishes the sport as its own thing. Not a copy of boxing/kickboxing. It is its own unique sport and it deserves a unique ring.

Back