Are there good comic books for young children?

I had these and I loved them. Comics, games, puzzles, interviews, they have a little bit of everything so your kid doesn't become tired of it after one read. It's a fairly long book if I recall correctly.

book_zps340a172f.jpg

I read all Usagi Yojimbo comics I could find when I was in elementary. Good action, good story, nothing inappropriate for kids (iirc).

UsagiYojimbo14.jpg

When hes a little older get him a subscription to Highlights. I remember having one as a child. Goofus and Galant :D

I have a son who's almost two and I'm thinking ahead of trying to get him into comic book reading at some point. However, I don't want anything with a lot of explicit violence or sexual depiction of really any kind.

Are there any interesting comic books like this? I'd like ones with action (not Mickey Mouse or Archie), but with some kind of wholesomeness to it.

Does this exist? Thanks for any help.

Batman...kinda doesn't fit the criteria but then again who cares give your kid Batman.

Start with Year One.

My parents let me watch Robocop when I was 5 in 1989 and I turned out ok.

Oddly though I wasn't allowed to go see Terminator 2 in theaters with my dad and older brother

i'd go with calvin & hobbes. usagi yojimbo is one of my favorite series but deceptively violent. dude has a higher kill count than wolverine.

lol at preacher

I'll recommend Owly by top shelf since it is totally geared towards kids. No words just pictures and cute animals which will be perfect for him. Pretty cheap too. Three volumes for $25 on Amazon. Its black and white though don't know if that matters.

owly1-4.jpg

MajinSaga is probably the best person to ask.

Why don't you just get him some Spider-Man comics though? we ALL grew up with Spider-Man, didn't we? wasn't exactly violent, your son will probably run around acting like he's Spider-Man, that's all.

Funny that I used to read all crazy comics when I was little, like Punisher which is straight up violence and stuff like that.

I can confirm about Spider Man. My son is 4 and all his pre school friends love spider man, talk about him and the cartoons, movies, merchandise. I got him a few spider man comics and he likes them.

Just get stuff from the 80's and earlier. I remember reading early uncanny xmen when i was like 8.

I second highlights. Goofus and gallant ftw.

Also I know marvel does Disney comics like cars and the.muppets.

Dudes, stop giving this guy ultra violent picks. He's asking an honest question and theres no reason to mislead him. DO NOT give your kid books like Preacher, The Walking Dead, Crossed, Punisher..... They don't fit the criteria. I would like to second Bone and Calvin and Hobbs. I also think the Tick could be good. As someone else said I grew up on Spider-Man and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Maybe just read everything before you give it to him to make sure. Also I think you're doing a great thing by giving your kid comics. I started reading them (my mom read them to me at first) when I was 2 or 3 and have never quit. When I was younger I would use words I learned in comics that my friends wouldn't learn until high school. It also lead to me reading novels and becoming an avid reader in general.

The new guardians of the galaxy might be kid friendly. Avengers assemble as well.

A lot of tie in comics to children's cartoons. Like Adventure Time or Last Airbender comics.

Monkeyman and O'Brien had some great stories, but they're not published anymore.

A lot of tie in comics to children's cartoons. Like Adventure Time or Last Airbender comics.

Adventure Time is good, as are the Bravest Warriors and Marceline and the Scream Queens, all by the same creative crew.

TS, how old is your son?

Among series, mini-series and TPBs currently being published, I would suggest:

The Stuff of Legend - A boy gets kidnapped by the Boogeyman who lives in his closet and his toys band together to go rescue him. A little dark and there is some violence, but this is about as good as American comic book storytelling gets, period.

Atomic Robo - Stories of Atomic Robo and his team of Action Scientists. Good, clean fun. Some violence but it's more action than violence.

Bandette - Just started reading this series. Art and storytelling aesthetic that's reminiscent of Belgian/Euro comics from the 50s and 60s. Safe for kids.

Courtney Crumrin - The story and themes in this series is fairly dark but otherwise, good story.

Cow Boy
Ozma of Oz
- All ages comics.

Mice Templar is a good title, too, if you're into anthropomorphic mice heroes ala NIMH and Redwall.

Also, looking through my to-read list, there's also Kozmik and Super Dinosaur, neither of which I've read, but seem to be kid safe.

Back