Are there any side effects to a blood chokes?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by sylar23, Jun 17, 2008.

1. sylar23

sylar23 White Belt

Hi I'm really new to sherdog and would like to call on the experience of some people that practice bjj. I find myself more and more impressed when I see these techniques used in mma, I find myself wondering if there are any side effects to a rear naked choke, if for example the person doesn't tap out in time and blacks out. Does he loose brain cells is he ok afterwards or is it like a knock out where you can't drive afterwards etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated and I hope this question hasn't been asked to many times thanx .

2. Nickynoneck

Nickynoneck Purple Belt

Nothing really if the guy lets go of you , its cutting off your blood flow to your head if the guy lets go once your out you wake up and wonder why theres a pepper shaker up your ass .

but if he keeps a hold of it to long( talking like a minute or so ) you could die .

3. silverline122

silverline122 Brown Belt

you lose brain cells, but then again you lose brain cells from head banging

4. sylar23

sylar23 White Belt

thanks mate so when you wake up your sweet theres no problems like needing to be checked over by a dr or headaches, dizzyness obviously apart from the pepper shaker up the ass your ok?

5. Belatucadros

Belatucadros Brown Belt

I have a feeling everyone is going about this wrong, so let me jump in:

Why do you want to know? It's not at all cool to choke out your friends who "watch UFC lolz", or whatever. ;)

However back on the topic, I don't think I've ever actually seen a study on the effect or best thing to do for a person after etc.

6. mowrown

mowrown Yellow Belt

7. sylar23

sylar23 White Belt

I was just wondering cause I know what happens after a knock out and what could happen afterwards etc. Watching mma fights and seeing the ground game in action, I was just thinking I

8. sylar23

sylar23 White Belt

Hey thanx for the links thats awesome cheers...

9. The Colonel

The Colonel Purple Belt

I've only ever seen a guy get choked out unconscious once in real life practice, basically one guy had the other's back and sunk in a rear naked choke. The guy getting choked kept trying to fight it off and eventually he blacked out.

Once he came to he was all kind of freaked out (not like waking up from a nap, more like "shit what the hell happened?" freaked out) and some people had to kind of grab him real fast (he was still on the ground), calm him down for a second and tell him where he was and what just happened.

But there isn't any kind of long term side effects or anything. Honestly the only side effect that comes from being exposed to chokes is learning how to defend them better.

10. TacWar

TacWar Green Belt

i would say the biggest side effect is really weird hallucinatory dreams. When a buddy of mine got choked out and woke up he wanted to know why we were all in his bedroom.

11. LordarshynBJJ

LordarshynBJJ Blue Belt

That's happened to me too! :p haha

12. Thrawn33

Thrawn33 JUST BLEED Belt

There's absolutly no side effects from having the blood cut off from the brain..I...am...the...mad lord of goat..cheese..blah..sdshfapeiurpdj;kljdffh

:)

In all seriousness, so long as the choker releases the choke as soon as the chokee is unconsious there's little chance of permanent damage.

13. Hamburger Legs

Hamburger Legs Orange Belt

There is one side effect that I can think of. If you get continuously choked out a fair amount of times, in some people, something in your head realizes that it can just put you out if you're getting choked. If you've been choked out a lot previously, some people just need a little pressure on their neck and they'll pass out immediately. In my experience most of the old brazilian practitioners that have been around for a long time can tell you at least 1 story of this happening to somebody.

14. TacWar

TacWar Green Belt

as long as you don't try and hug me thinking I'm your childhood blanky or girlfriend I don't care where you go when you get choked out.

15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Brown Belt

Shrunken testicles. And AIDS.

16. JDV5811

JDV5811 Purple Belt

u pass out, i dont hold em, but if they want to be stubborn and not tap, thats there fault.

17. MokeGrappler

MokeGrappler Orange Belt

I think one of the guys in my class said he didnt tap and when he went home he saw his eyes were popped out of his head, not that much but it was noticeable

18. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

well my throat hurts alot after i have fought chokes anbd my eyes are red and irritated as hell

19. SFinclined

SFinclined Purple Belt

Passing out.

20. anaconda

anaconda Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I heard short term memory loss could be a side effect, but I've been choked out and I havent notice anything yet.