Are there any famous grapplers that started at the age of 18?

BJ Penn wrestled in high school, didn't he?

lol nope, not even. When he first got into jiu jitsu, he had no grappling experience whatsoever. He played soccer for most of his child hood and boxed with his friends in his backyard.

IIRC, it was his neighbor Tom Callos who pushed his dad to enroll him at Gracie jiu jitsu (Ralph Gracie.)

Yup, he was a top five collegiate Judoka.

I believe he started out in Judo. Like a lot of people thinking about it. He did also box though.

You're absolutly right, I remember now he started Judo as a young kid, then boxing then BJJ.

lol nope, not even. He played soccer for most of his child hood and boxed with his friends in his backyard.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Outside of "Experienced Grapplers" people who Surf pick up Jiu-Jitsu the fastest and Soccer players are a close second, but nothing else even comes close. People who were good at both sports seem like phenoms, and BJ was the best of them.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Outside of "Experienced Grapplers" people who Surf pick up Jiu-Jitsu the fastest and Soccer players are a close second, but nothing else even comes close. People who were good at both sports seem like phenoms, and BJ was the best of them.

that is interesting. Do you think it is because soccer and surfing are very popular sports in brazil, so it is natural that most jiu jitsu guys played soccer and surf...or do you really think it acutally makes them better?

that is interesting. Do you think it is because soccer and surfing are very popular sports in brazil, so it is natural that most jiu jitsu guys played soccer and surf...or do you really think it acutally makes them better?

Yes I do think it makes them because I've seen it so many times already. I never really thought to hard about the popularity of those sports in brazil, but now that you mention it that makes a lot of sense.

I think it's because of the type of hip movements and balance they use and master in order to do those sports, and the type of muscles the movements in those sports help build.

i'm pretty sure saulo started when he was older too.

Demian Maia started at 21 I believe, yeah. Cobrinha started pretty late too, but he had many many years of capoeira before that I believe (Amazing balance).

Yes I do think it makes them because I've seen it so many times already. I never really thought to hard about the popularity of those sports in brazil, but now that you mention it that makes a lot of sense.

I think it's because of the type of hip movements and balance they use and master in order to do those sports, and the type of muscles the movements in those sports help build.

Kenny Florian was a D1 soccer player apparently another guy to add to your theory.

to the guy who asked if Eddie wrestled in high school... he did karate prior to BJJ.

Kenny Florian was a D1 soccer player apparently another guy to add to your theory.

to the guy who asked if Eddie wrestled in high school... he did karate prior to BJJ.
Actually Eddie mentioned wrestling in high school in one of his books.

COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC AND NOT AN ATTEMPT THE THREAD JACK. How in heck do I post a new thread on here? I can post to threads but for the life of me I cant get a new thread to post. Does all kinds of odd stuff. Thanks and my apoligies.

As for famous grapplers, didnt Nog, Penn, Serra, and Lister all start later in life?

Yes, soccer translates extremely well into BJJ. The strength in the hips / legs as well as cardio (as someone else said) give you an edge. Also the balance, skill, agility, flexibility etc all work extremely well.

Most soccer players learn early to focus on skill rather than size and strength. It's a difference in mindset that also really helps.

Gingha I think it is called, not physical attributes but brazilians are famous for their flairful technical soccer, findings solutions in tricky situations and flow from one move to another, rapidly change speed and other stuff

great bodily control

I wouldn't think an English soccer player would pick up jits that quickly:icon_chee

Coming from a country where both soccer and rugby are common I've found rugby players to adapt far more quickly to grappling.

I dont think 18 is late at all. If you start at 18, have natural talent and are dedicated you can get to black belt by 25.

After like 5-8 years I doubt you get all that much better anyway. By 8 years of hard training you can probably come fairly close to maximizing your potential I would think. The longer you train the harder it is to get significantly better.

Back