Are there any famous grapplers that started at the age of 18?

Do you think BJ Penn is way better in BJJ now than when he was 5-8 years in? Or marcelo? Probably not. I dont think it would have mattered if he started at 16 or 25 either way he would have become great in under 5 years. I could be wrong but like anything the learning curve deceases with time in until eventually you peak and are pretty much as good as you ever will be.

Some guys that might be 5 years some 15 probably just depends alot on overall mat time and how fast of a learner you are. JMO

I'm not sure how good of a wrestler eddie bravo was in high school, but I think the point of the author of this thread was that BJ Penn started basically from scratch.

I dont see how the author thought that at all.....seems to me the guys that started at age 2-5 started from 'scratch' as well. He just wanted to know if there were any guys who started bjj at a later age

Eddie bravo was 24 when he started. Frank sharock, while not a grappler on the competition circut was 21 when he stared training and developed skills very faast. Renzo gracie black belt john danaher was 27 when he started.

Back