• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Are school shootings simply the result of capitalism?

In so far as you specifically mean American Capitalism, as that in some part, large or small ties into American culture. There is clearly something rotten in American culture that's causing young men to do this at exorbitantly higher rates than most other cultures.

Yes, access to guns for individuals with strong homicidal or suicidal ideations is a problem, but it's not THE problem.

Addressing gun access to homicidal people is a Flintstones band-aid that you're slapping on an axe wound.

There is some serious issue, or more likely, combination of issues in American culture that is leading to this outcome.

I think that capitalism certainly plays a role, as does the various things mentioned in the OP but I wouldn't say that the shootings are the result of capitalism.

Unless it's the role that capitalism plays in highlighting lack of status among certain young males or in reducing the economic options (hence reproductive options) available to those young males.

One interesting fact I’ve noticed: these shooters are all men. I’d say men are to blame.

Men have a greater propensity for violence. A greater need to dominate and prove their worth.

All the people who does these shootings are either:
-politically motivated terrorists or,
-bullied mentally ill men.

Almost all these school shooters have things in common, beyond their gender.

They were often considered 'odd' or 'weird' by their high school peers. They're socially maladjusted, they have little/no friends. They inevitably get bullied. They have/develop some anti-social interests (fascination with guns/death, serial killers, hate groups, causing harm to animals, fantasies of revenge).

Quite often they are physically meek or odd looking. Often they'll be short, skinny, a bit 'ugly'. This just confounds the whole bullying and exclusion aspects. You never see some tall, muscular, handsome dude doing this.

There is often some underlying mental issues/illnesses, Autism, ADHD, Depression, Schizophrenia, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and so on. The perpetrators were often evaluated for mental disorders, had red flags/odd behaviors. Some had taken drugs(medication)/gotten treated for their issues. Just because someone isn't diagnosed doesn't mean they don't have problems, often it can be hard to pin point the issue and the person in question will often function highly enough that they can get by in life and live a borderline normal life. Diagnosing is much easier when the illness/issues cause major disruption, learning difficulties and impairment. Most of these perpetrators had enough wrong with them that most people could instantly pick it up. You will often meet people in day to day life who seem a little bit odd and you can tell they're a bit 'off'. Teenagers are often merciless and torment such people.

Often just the act of social exclusion is enough to drive these people mad. A guy who worked with Nicholas Cruz on a school project said he was quiet at first...but actually talked a lot after you got to know him. Many of these guys are like that, they have some social/mental problems that stop them fulfilling a proper social life this leads to frustration. They want to be popular, they want to be normal and accepted by their peers. But they struggle to develop friendships, the others kids often make it that much harder for them too. You get roadblocks from both sides in most cases, they get stuck in a lonely rut then become frustrated, angry and bitter. They become vengeful towards the ones who picked on them, they become jealous of the ones who didn't get picked on, who have tonnes of friends and enjoy their lives. Then sometimes they snap and lash out at everyone.

Y Chromosome + Mental Illness + Unattractive + Bullying + Guns = School Shootings

Science bitch.

May as well cut off your testicles and join antifa

Thing is... The average size of your current average household has been decreasing for the last few generations - as such - your anti-gun.org funded study of household ownership would show the same steady drop even if per-capita ownership remained constant - which I personally doubt it has at all."oh ..a fetish of sorts, eh ehhhh...." - just shut the fuck up.

There's no need to get so defensive.

I wasn't calling all gun owners fetishists - are you guys denying that there isn't a segment of the population that obsesses over their guns?

There's no need to get so defensive.

I wasn't calling all gun owners fetishists - are you guys denying that there isn't a segment of the population that obsesses over their guns?

There is, but those aren't the people doing school shootings, or any shooting for that matter. So why even invoke them?

The school shooter type has already been described at length in the thread. Most other shootings are gang/drug related.

Once again, there is some festering rot in American culture, that's THE problem.

Could you address that problem effectively with more restrictive gun access, maybe.

But like I said, you're treating encephalitis by putting a band aid on your knee.

No because I'd classify Jihadis also as school shooters of a sort or even spies like Manning and snowden. They are all the same profile and everywhere. Failed-to-launch young men who are loners and carry weighty social grudges.

I think that capitalism certainly plays a role, as does the various things mentioned in the OP but I wouldn't say that the shootings are the result of capitalism.

Unless it's the role that capitalism plays in highlighting lack of status among certain young males or in reducing the economic options (hence reproductive options) available to those young males.

Of course I'm not positing that this is a direct result of capitalism, rather, it's one of the variables that plays a significant, yet indirect, role. Lack of group ethic (individualism), socio-economics, population density, maybe diet, etc., are other factors I can think of just off the top of my head.

Maybe America is the perfect storm, so to speak, that is leading to a higher prevalence of school shootings.

Soldier_of_fortune_cover_sept95.gif

There is, but those aren't the people doing school shootings, or any shooting for that matter. So why even invoke them?

The school shooter type has already been described at length in the thread. Most other shootings are gang/drug related.

Once again, there is some festering rot in American culture, that's THE problem.

Could you address that problem effectively with more restrictive gun access, maybe.

But like I said, you're treating encephalitis by putting a band aid on your knee.

I wasn't talking about gang or drug dealer shootouts. I was talking specifically about mass school shooters.

I only brought up fetishists to highlight the role of capitalism in dictating the gun industry's need to broaden their sales.

In so far as you specifically mean American Capitalism, as that in some part, large or small ties into American culture. There is clearly something rotten in American culture that's causing young men to do this at exorbitantly higher rates than most other cultures.

Yes, access to guns for individuals with strong homicidal or suicidal ideations is a problem, but it's not THE problem.

Addressing gun access to homicidal people is a Flintstones band-aid that you're slapping on an axe wound.

There is some serious issue, or more likely, combination of issues in American culture that is leading to this outcome.

The reason they go with school shootings is because in the USA the guns are available to them.

It's not the underlying issue, take away their guns, take away the whole notoriety and media frenzy a school shooting brings and you'll just get young men committing suicide, driving a car into people, going on a stabbing frenzy, making a bomb or quite simply living unhappy lives and turning to drugs for cheap thrills.

That's one thing I agree with the 'guns don't kill people' crowd. You take away their apparatus of lashing out/giving up on life, and they'll just choose another path. Granted, taking away their guns could lead to less loss of life and would be a positive in that regard, but if they really mean to...a car can cause as much damage. The loss of life will not be voided just like that, they'd find another way. Ultimately society could do more for young, misguided men who are struggling to cope in life.

Most of the world is capitalist so you will need to explain why the US is the only one with this kind of horrific gun violence (in a developed country) and mass shootings.

Of course I'm not positing that this is a direct result of capitalism, rather, it's one of the variables that plays a significant, yet indirect, role. Lack of group ethic (individualism), socio-economics, population density, maybe diet, etc., are other factors I can think of just off the top of my head.

Maybe America is the perfect storm, so to speak, that is leading to a higher prevalence of school shootings.

America is pretty much the perfect storm. We've always been more violent than anywhere else with a stable government by a pretty good margin. It's a country founded by criminals and hunters and the type of men who needed to be familiar with violence if they were going to make on the frontiers or subdue the injuns. It built it's government on the back of violent war with Europe. It's two most transformative events are wars - Revolutionary and Civil. And we have a fairly liberal approach to legally owning guns. We have a comfort level with interpersonal and general violence that is more similar to the 3rd world than the 1st.

Most of the world is capitalist so you will need to explain why the US is the only one with this kind of horrific gun violence (in a developed country) and mass shootings.

Not solely the result of capitalism, but a factor.

As an Australian hell yes it was worth it. 90%+ of the population will absolutely agree too

Not the American population.

You also have hate speech laws.

I wasn't talking about gang or drug dealer shootouts. I was talking specifically about mass school shooters.

I only brought up fetishists to highlight the role of capitalism in dictating the gun industry's need to broaden their sales.

Capitalism could be partially implicated, but only in the sense that @panamaican was getting at. Not because of the gun industry. The problem is anti-social or socially outcasted, "weird", bullied or alienated young men, or young men with various personality disorders or mental illnesses and how they are dealt with by peers, parents, and society at large.

And how these individuals choose to deal with their "low station".

Kids are coddled so much today that they have no coping skills when they need them the most. Thats whats going on in this country.

Easy availablity of powerful guns,
+
high wealth disparity
+
weak/patchy social safety net
=
America

Back