Are Rockhold and Weidman the strongest MW ever, physically speaking ?

We can't possibly know the answer to this question, it might be the worst MW fighter ever,we just don't know.

You are saying Weidman and Rockhold because they are big MW and successful

LOL at people supporting dehydrated MMA.

Jerking off about how big someone is for a weightclass is exactly opposite of what weightclasses are there for.

If Jacare and Weidman fight and somebody gets man handled you can bet your ass it wont be Jacare.

when Mcgregor goes for the 185 title........

Rockhold
Romero
Sonnen
Weidman
Jacare

People will probably laugh but Sonnen was super strong middleweight. He was walking around 225 pounds before weight cutting to middleweight.

weidmanrockhold-road-to-the-octagon-1449763084-800.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

They look very similar in size.
yeah, thats pre USADA weidman

Silva looked old against Weidman because he was old. Rockhold doesn't strike me as one of the top 2 strongest MW ever, the thing is that Weidman wasn't in really good shape.

I would say Sonnen was stronger than both guys. People forget that Sonnen has much better wrestling credentials than both and he fought at close to 210lb with cardio for a full five rounds. He wouldn't have been an easy fight for either guy. People let the Jon Jones fight fool them, but Jones would ruin Rockhold and Weidman as well.
Sonnen overall skillet isn't as complete as the guys mentioned. This isn't wrestling, it's Mma. Hell Bisping neutralized Sonnen's wrestling, Chael would get smacked the fuck up against Luke,Chris and Romero who are better than Bisping at everything. Mma math. Its what's for dinner.

Sonnen overall skillet isn't as complete as the guys mentioned. This isn't wrestling, it's Mma. Hell Bisping neutralized Sonnen's wrestling, Chael would get smacked the fuck up against Luke,Chris and Romero who are better than Bisping at everything. Mma math. Its what's for dinner.

He was saying Sonnen was the strongest MW, not the best. And when you consider how bull-strong Sonnen looked against Okami and Anderson and Marquardt and Stann and Bisping, I can see his point. It is irrelevant whether those guys would have actually beaten Chael at MMA or not. The guy is only stating he wouldn't have been an easy fight for them as a sidenote. He isnt saying Chael beats any of them.

Bisping didnt really neutralize Sonnen's wrestling. He got taken down, held down, and dominated in that 3rd round. Totally handled. But regardless, Bisping's success in the TDD game in the first 2 rounds don't mean that Sonnen wasn't strong as hell, as prime Bisping had some of the best TDD and overall size/strength that the mw division has ever seen.

He was saying Sonnen was the strongest MW, not the best. And when you consider how bull-strong Sonnen looked against Okami and Anderson and Marquardt and Stann and Bisping, I can see his point. It is irrelevant whether those guys would have actually beaten Chael at MMA or not. The guy is only stating he wouldn't have been an easy fight for them as a sidenote. He isnt saying Chael beats any of them.

Bisping didnt really neutralize Sonnen's wrestling. He got taken down, held down, and dominated in that 3rd round. Totally handled. But regardless, Bisping's success in the TDD game in the first 2 rounds don't mean that Sonnen wasn't strong as hell, as prime Bisping had some of the best TDD and overall size/strength that the mw division has ever seen.
He said Sonnen was strong, mentioned that he had better wrestling credentials and then said how tough a fight he would give them. I mentioned skillset because TS mentioned wrestling credentials. I'm responding to that and saying that Rockhold,Wiedman and Romero would man handle Sonnen and that he he is not stronger than them. I'm not sure why you need to explain his post to me . I don't remember every detail of the Bisping fight since Chael was in full wrestling mode, but I remember Bisping doing a hell of job of defending and getting back to his feet. Anyway I'm not saying Chael isn't strong, he just not as strong as the guys TS is referring to.

Last edited:
These guys are BIG. They can wrestle/grapple the shit out of the majority of the MW fighters, hell even most of the LHW roster. With the new standards of training, weight cutting, and considering their height/reach, is it safe to say there is no match for them in physical standards ?

I mean Silva could handle big Bonnar, yet he looked like an old man against Weidman, especially after the knockdown while clinching. I even think Jacare and Romero (without the juice) would be manhandled as well.
As for Luke, he is just so strong on the ground.. His kicks are lethal and i had the impression he was playing with kids when he faced Bisping or Machida.

Do you see anyone coming for them anytime soon ? I feel these two will be hard to deal with for quite some time

There are a lot of strong middle weights out there. Romero, Kennedy, Jacare are all freakishly strong. I don't buy that Weidman is at the top in strength. That's really hard to compare, really.

He said Sonnen was strong, mentioned that he had better wrestling credentials and then said how tough a fight he would give them. I mentioned skillet because TS mentioned wrestling credentials. I'm responding to that and saying that Rockhold,Wiedman and Romero would man handle Sonnen and that he he is not stronger than them. I'm not sure why you need to explain his post to me . I don't remember every detail of the Bisping fight since Chael was in full wrestling mode, but I remember Bisping doing a hell of job of defending and getting back to his feet. Anyway I'm not saying Chael isn't strong, he just not as strong as the guys TS is referring to.

The guy said that Sonnen has better wrestling credentials - which is true.

He said Sonnen wouldnt have been an easy fight, which isnt exactly the same as how you paraphrase him: "how tough of a fight". He's basically saying Sonnen wouldnt be a cupcake who'd get swotted out of the ring with ease, he isnt emphasizing "how tough" the fight would be for Rockhold or Weidman. And considering how well Sonnen fought against Anderson, Bisping, Okami and Marquardt, I'd have to agree with him. Like you and him both, I dont think Sonnen beats those guys, but I see nothing to suggest he'd be a stroll in the park either. If Sonnen was anything, he was a proven commodity at 185. A top 5 level guy all the way - just not quite championship material.

Bisping didnt do a good job of defending the TD or getting back to his feet in round 3. He got held down and beat up.

He said Sonnen was strong, mentioned that he had better wrestling credentials and then said how tough a fight he would give them. I mentioned skillet because TS mentioned wrestling credentials. I'm responding to that and saying that Rockhold,Wiedman and Romero would man handle Sonnen and that he he is not stronger than them. I'm not sure why you need to explain his post to me . I don't remember every detail of the Bisping fight since Chael was in full wrestling mode, but I remember Bisping doing a hell of job of defending and getting back to his feet. Anyway I'm not saying Chael isn't strong, he just not as strong as the guys TS is referring to.

By the way, Romero didnt exactly "manhandle" Kennedy or Jacare (or Brunson). What is it that makes you think he'd manhandle Sonnen? That he won an Olympic medal in about 1980? Romero beats Sonnen by being a much faster, better striker than him, but I fail to see how he manhandles him when he was unable to manhandle Tim Kennedy, who is basically a slightly smaller, slightly inferior version of Chael. You underrate Sonnen's strength & wrestling badly.

Back