Are people in unskilled jobs getting dumber?

Engineers generally make fucking bank, you act as though you're surprised? Besides, lower income=/=a less successful job. Maybe the assistant, despite making less than an engineering INTERN, loved the fuck out of her job?

I'm surprised that an intern still studying for his B.S. can make more than a fulltimer with a MASTERS yes. And who LOVES 8 hours of typing, filing, and scheduling a day?

no. people in jobs like sales, marketing, pr. also, people that don't have jobs :p

In my experience I haven't met anyone that stupid in those jobs. I'm sure there are many stupid unemployed, but they account for what, 8%?

I'm surprised that an intern still studying for his B.S. can make more than a fulltimer with a MASTERS yes. And who LOVES 8 hours of typing, filing, and scheduling a day?

Yes, because a piece of paper degree automatically equates to a higher pay check regardless. :rolleyes:

Maybe she does? I don't fucking know. Lots of people dislike fighting, yet there are some hardcore enthusiasts and hobbyists that hangout on this forum quite often.

Worry less about unskilled workers and more about yourself. :icon_lol:

Yes, because a piece of paper degree automatically equates to a higher pay check regardless. :rolleyes:

Maybe she does? I don't fucking know. Lots of people dislike fighting, yet there are some hardcore enthusiasts and hobbyists that hangout on this forum quite often.

Worry less about unskilled workers and more about yourself. :icon_lol:

I would think generally it does. And I would like to care less, but I interact with them quite often since I'm not a hermit. I eat out, order clothes, add insurance on my iphone, etc.

i deal with a lot of support people over the phone in my job and ive realized recently that it seems like they are simply reading off of a troubleshooting guide instead of having true knowledge of the system. i suppose they can pay them less or dont have to pay for training that way

i deal with a lot of support people over the phone in my job and ive realized recently that it seems like they are simply reading off of a troubleshooting guide instead of having true knowledge of the system. i suppose they can pay them less or dont have to pay for training that way

I got that feeling too! I don't know what the solution is because I'm still flabbergasted as to why the level of service has depreciated in the last few years.

I would think generally it does. And I would like to care less, but I interact with them quite often since I'm not a hermit. I eat out, order clothes, add insurance on my iphone, etc.

Haha, ask a recent college graduate how they're doing with their degree.

Just because you interact with people on a regular basis doesn't mean you have to give a shit and post lame threads online about how stupid you think they are.

This I can truly agree with.

In my experience I haven't met anyone that stupid in those jobs. I'm sure there are many stupid unemployed, but they account for what, 8%?

i guess it depends on how you define "stupid". just because they're good at their jobs doesn't mean that they're on a short-list for a nobel prize.

i remember a high school teacher telling us about her friend's husband. the guy had his law degree, he'd passed the bar, and he was working part time jobs trying to make ends' meet.

Some places are inevitably going to have shit workers. There were a lot of stores where I grew up that usually hired no one but high school kids, and they'd recommend their buddies, and then treat work like a social gathering. IMO it's not the worker's fault; it's management's fault.

I worked at a store when I was 18 with people in my age group, and we all dicked around sometimes, but got our jobs done, mostly because management set very strict rules and guidelines for what needed to be done and when. If you didn't get it done without excuse, you were pretty close to getting fired already.

When you hear someone talk about how they do nothing at work all day, it's usually followed by, "LOL my manager is too stupid to notice."

i guess it depends on how you define "stupid". just because they're good at their jobs doesn't mean that they're on a short-list for a nobel prize.

i remember a high school teacher telling us about her friend's husband. the guy had his law degree, he'd passed the bar, and he was working part time jobs trying to make ends' meet.

I thought I gave an example of stupid earlier. About the husband, what law school did he graduate from? My cousin told me law is tough because there are much more students than positions, and that the quality of the institution is paramount.

I thought I gave an example of stupid earlier. About the husband, what law school did he graduate from? My cousin told me law is tough because there are much more students than positions, and that the quality of the institution is paramount.

Seems like a legit source.

I'm kind of trolling at this point. Lo siento.

Some places are inevitably going to have shit workers. There were a lot of stores where I grew up that usually hired no one but high school kids, and they'd recommend their buddies, and then treat work like a social gathering. IMO it's not the worker's fault; it's management's fault.

I worked at a store when I was 18 with people in my age group, and we all dicked around sometimes, but got our jobs done, mostly because management set very strict rules and guidelines for what needed to be done and when. If you didn't get it done without excuse, you were pretty close to getting fired already.

When you hear someone talk about how they do nothing at work all day, it's usually followed by, "LOL my manager is too stupid to notice."

Sadly my complaints fall more towards the older crowd. And you're right, if you're not retarded you can slack because this isn't a skilled job.

she didn't tell us his life story.

and yes, generally when the supply of labor is higher than the demand for labor, it will be tough.

Sadly my complaints fall more towards the older crowd. And you're right, if you're not retarded you can slack because this isn't a skilled job.

you're talking about old workers in dead end jobs? i think you're confusing stupidity for not giving sh't.

Seems like a legit source.

Well considering he and his brother both attended a top 5 law school, AND various other sources have confirmed this(google law school ranking and getting a job upon graduating), yeah.

If I had to guess you work in an unskilled job? That's why you constantly respond with idiotic incredulity?

I am really on the forums at work so yes, I am getting dumber.

you're talking about old workers in dead end jobs? i think you're confusing stupidity for not giving sh't.

But has the percentage of middle aged people in unskilled jobs increased? Because I didn't see this before.

Well considering he and his brother both attended a top 5 law school, AND various other sources have confirmed this(google law school ranking and getting a job upon graduating), yeah.

If I had to guess you work in an unskilled job? That's why you constantly respond with idiotic incredulity?

i thought you said you were in engineering. hmmm...waste of talent. psychiatry is obviously your specialty.

But has the percentage of middle aged people in unskilled jobs increased? Because I didn't see this before.

well, considering a lot of them were probably working in industries that have gone belly up, or probably had to get jobs after their equity went down the toilet due to the housing market collapsing, yeah.

None of these situations require any education though.

Going kind of off topic, I don't think more education is necessarily the answer though. When I was in college, there was an assistant to a professor or dean who, according to her business card, possessed a masters in psychology of some other liberal art. I found out that hourly, I made more than her as an engineering INTERN.

I am not referring to specifically formal education -i am referring to a position which requires continual research, study, and mental investment to perform the job. I'm not at all advocating college over other educational paths (work experience, tech school, home study etc)

also my point for this was to elaborate on the continually widening gap between the high performers who produce things and the unskilled people paid to oversee a technology that will eventually replace them.

If you are doing the exact same thing at your job you were doing a year or 2 prior it is a problem. You need to be growing and taking on new challenges in your position.

Back