Are people in unskilled jobs getting dumber?

TheGauntlet7**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've noticed a recent trend in the past couple years that people in unskilled jobs seem to be getting dumber. Like often when I deal with customer support people, grocery store employees, food delivery people, painters, etc. It used to be that they would almost all get their job done, maybe with an attitude at most. That would be the worst thing to happen. Now they often cannot perform their job function.

I understand that they might not care, but I worked those jobs in college and I didn't really care either. Thing is, I didn't need to care. Those were mindless jobs. I was still able to perform them without using my head because the function didn't require it.

But now for some inexplicable reason many of these people don't function. It's weird and I don't get it. Of course I can't complain to them because I don't want my food spit in but it's annoying.

In b4 "you're dumb", worst thread ever, etc.

i dont know, i kind of feel the opposite. Ive noticed a lot of jobs like gas station cashiers and baggers at grocery stores to be fairly bright, productive , and seemingly educated young men and women

people in all walks of life are getting dumber

i blame the internet

I don't know man, most of my bosses/management haven't exactly been geniuses either

This is why education is more important than ever for most industries -You need to be in a career of continual growth and where an emplyer is needing to reinvest educationally in order to produce the goods or services to keep at the front of the technological curve -otherwise you are just a gatekeeper for a technology that performs the actual work -and then it is only a function of time before they figure a way to automate your position.

None of this applies after the impending Zombie apocolypse though...

i dont know, i kind of feel the opposite. Ive noticed a lot of jobs like gas station cashiers and baggers at grocery stores to be fairly bright, productive , and seemingly educated young men and women

This makes sense with the recession but in practicality it is not what I've seen. Like one time I asked this guy "If it's like X, then why don't we just Y", it was something incredibly simple like a table being empty. He responded, "Oh you tryin' to smarten the situation up. That's not how we do things here." I was like wtf?! and just asked someone else.

It's sound like you're describing people being selfish, not stupid

This is why education is more important than ever for most industries -You need to be in a career of continual growth and where an emplyer is needing to reinvest educationally in order to produce the goods or services to keep at the front of the technological curve -otherwise you are just a gatekeeper for a technology that performs the actual work -and then it is only a function of time before they figure a way to automate your position.

None of this applies after the impending Zombie apocolypse though...

None of these situations require any education though.

Going kind of off topic, I don't think more education is necessarily the answer though. When I was in college, there was an assistant to a professor or dean who, according to her business card, possessed a masters in psychology of some other liberal art. I found out that hourly, I made more than her as an engineering INTERN.

Like often when I deal with customer support people, grocery store employees, food delivery people, painters, etc.

Some of these MF'ers are pretty damn smart and their job, at times, takes an immense amount of interpersonal skills, subject knowledge, and patience. I don't enjoy dumbass people, so I'm right there with you, but throwing negative labels around just makes you seem like you think you're better than others.

I've noticed a recent trend in the past couple years that people in unskilled jobs seem to be getting dumber. Like often when I deal with customer support people, grocery store employees, food delivery people, painters, etc. It used to be that they would almost all get their job done, maybe with an attitude at most. That would be the worst thing to happen. Now they often cannot perform their job function.

I understand that they might not care, but I worked those jobs in college and I didn't really care either. Thing is, I didn't need to care. Those were mindless jobs. I was still able to perform them without using my head because the function didn't require it.

But now for some inexplicable reason many of these people don't function. It's weird and I don't get it. Of course I can't complain to them because I don't want my food spit in but it's annoying.

In b4 "you're dumb", worst thread ever, etc.

Any examples? Workers not being able to do their job is a rare find for me.

You're probably just expecting too much. Maybe you need to be more patient and understanding.

not really. they're actually smarter relative to everyone else. the u.s. is getting dumber on average though.

I think if I got a whiff of your attitude, I would instantly act 100 times dumber than I am, and I can barely tie my shoelaces as it is.

So maybe either your attitude is getting easier to spot, or the unskilled masses are getting smarter and spotting it faster.

Some of these MF'ers are pretty damn smart and their job, at times, takes an immense amount of interpersonal skills, subject knowledge, and patience. I don't enjoy dumbass people, so I'm right there with you, but throwing negative labels around just makes you seem like you think you're better than others.

Best job ever was Customer Support for me. I didn't like the job much, but the benefits. Oh man those benefits.

I've noticed a recent trend in the past couple years that people in unskilled jobs seem to be getting dumber

not really. they're actually smarter relative to everyone else. the u.s. is getting dumber on average though.

Who are the dumb people that would drop the average down so much though considering there are more unskilled than skilled workers? Doctors? Engineers? Lawyers?

None of these situations require any education though.

Going kind of off topic, I don't think more education is necessarily the answer though. When I was in college, there was an assistant to a professor or dean who, according to her business card, possessed a masters in psychology of some other liberal art. I found out that hourly, I made more than her as an engineering INTERN.

Engineers generally make fucking bank, you act as though you're surprised? Besides, lower income=/=a less successful job. Maybe the assistant, despite making less than an engineering INTERN, loved the fuck out of her job?

Who are the dumb people that would drop the average down so much though considering there are more unskilled than skilled workers? Doctors? Engineers? Lawyers?

no. people in jobs like sales, marketing, pr. also, people that don't have jobs :p

Back