Are kids these days less mechanically inclined?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by WorldofWarcraft, Aug 12, 2015.

1. WorldofWarcraft

WorldofWarcraft Holy Paladin Banned

I have a daughter who IS mechanically inclined, but NONE of the other kids I know of are. Even my friends and co-workers who are in the trades don't have kids that are interested in learning anything mechanical or anything to do with working with your hands. Every now and then, I hear someone complain about how their kid doesn't know how to something simple like replace a fluorescent bulb. Yesterday, I was a friend's house and his kid didn't know how to replace a vacuum cleaner bag.

Do you think there's truth to kids these days not having any interest at all, at least at being handy around the home or car, etc..?

2. Tamriel Terror

Tamriel Terror Silver Belt

well im not exactly a hands on person, especially with vehicles, but if you can't change a light bulb or a vacuum bag, then well...damn

3. phipps66

phipps66 Brown Belt

Yup. And in the world of forums and YouTube it's never been easier to be.

I went to trade school and got made fun of for going to the dumb and loser school. Most of those kids now just slave away at the cubicle farm and pray it's casual Friday this week.

4. RTL

RTL NostraMMAus™ Platinum Member

Well, we're in the digital age, so that's probably a factor.

In the mechanical engineering field, there's a wave of technologies that are coming that might make kids more interested in tinkering in the near future, IE: 3D printing, robotics, Arduino, etc.

5. Smw

Smw Purple Belt

I think there is a lot of truth to the statement.

Compare the projects for children in Popular Mechanics or similar books/manuals from today, to pre depression era. It's night and day, kids back then we're expected to have skills and knowledge of tools that is never demanded from modern people, even as adults.

6. Oblivian

Oblivian Aging Platinum Member

I actually think there are a lot more do it yourself type people nowadays than before because of youtube and google. You can just google how to do something or watch youtube to see how it is done.

I also think some kids just show interest in it and some don't. My son is 4 years old right now and he has always been obsessed with tools, tractors, and anything work related. My guess is that he will likely be fairly mechanically inclined, probably more than myself.

7. michal001

michal001 Brown Belt

All skills are a combination of natural ability (e.g. a bowl whose size and shape affects how quickly and much it can be filled) and experience (e.g. the fluid that fills the bowl).

I train kids in a occupation that requires a high degree of hand-eye dexterity. Some are naturals. Some are not. But all improve over time; some just improve in a painfully slow manner.

8. Horse Style

Horse Style Silver Belt

When you think about it, it's pretty stupid to complain that your child can't replace a lightbulb or vacuum cleaner bag. While those tasks seem simple to us, it's because we LEARNED how to do it when we were young. You don't bust out the vagina knowing how to do such tasks.

And who would they learn these tasks from? Their parents, maybe? So now the question is why this guy's kids haven't learned how to do those simple tasks from him.

9. Dizzy

Dizzy \[T]/ Platinum Member

Yeah, that's exactly it.

10. Smw

Smw Purple Belt

IMO a huge part of learning that kind of stuff is done by simple observation and problem solving. A kid shouldn't need to be taght how to change a vacuum cleaner bag because they should be able to figure that out themselves with trial and error.

Some of the best learning is when you just get in there and start taking things apart. Of course, a lot of parents helicopter over their kids and would never let them touch anything that is remotely dangerous, so these learning opportunities rarely present themselves.

11. Arthur Morgan

Arthur Morgan Blue Belt Platinum Member

I wouldnt blame that on the kids. I would blame it on the parents more than the kids.

And to answer your question.... No.

12. Smw

Smw Purple Belt

Adults are less mechanically inclined these days too. If Dad can't change a headlight bulb, then it's no surprise that junior can't change a light bulb.

13. Horse Style

Horse Style Silver Belt

No kid is going to be interested in watching you change a light bulb or vacuum cleaner bag so trial and error would be what's left. When they finally get ordered to change a light bulb or vacuum bag, the first time they do it, they won't have a clue, obviously which would prompt the father to complain.

14. genecop

genecop Silver Belt

More mechanically inclined in terms of computers, less in terms of the abilty or desire to rebuild a combustion engine...

15. Magooglie

Magooglie Steel Belt

I wouldn't let a kid do trial and error with a light bulb.

I agree, it's up to the parents to teach them. If your kid doesn't know how to do something, it's your fault.

16. Dizzy

Dizzy \[T]/ Platinum Member

Yeah, just let your kid tear into your appliances and figure it out for themselves.

17. Cheese

Cheese Banned Banned

There are engieering classes at my kids elementary school. So they are been guilded towards that field at a early age. They aren't many auto shop or wood making classes in elementary school.

But I love the fact kids are been guilded towards those fields at a early age. Image what they will know how to do by the time their adults.

18. Jumpy

Jumpy Invincible

Who uses vacuum cleaners with bags anymore?

19. Osculater

Osculater Black Belt

Hahaa not me that's for sure

20. MoparOrNoCar

MoparOrNoCar Black Belt