Are kids these days less mechanically inclined?

Lol idk who can't change a light bulb. I'm far from good with working with my hands but I'm capable of simple tasks. But it takes me forever to put together furniture and stuff like that, though i can figure it out.

This. I deal with a lot of these guys out in the oil field. They know a lot of stuff about their job and all that. When it comes to PC's which is what I'm usually there for it's a nightmare. I feel like I'm talking to a child over the phone and trying to explain how to use a PC.

Click the start button? Which button? The windows logo? What logo? Click the button in the bottom left hand corner guy Jesus!

Yea we'll see who's laughing when the AI revolution is going down. I'm going to be remotely shutting down robots, but hey at least they can change vacuum bags.

Lol idk who can't change a light bulb. I'm far from good with working with my hands but I'm capable of simple tasks. But it takes me forever to put together furniture and stuff like that, though i can figure it out.

It amazes me a bit when people have trouble putting together furniture of any other sort of household fixture (like a computer chair). I mean, the manuals that come with these things are clear as day. It takes a bit of time but it's as simple as can be and it's always older people who have trouble with this task.

Hell yeah. There's a reason no one I know my age is able to keep a construction or mechanic job for more than a couple months.

Yea we'll see who's laughing when the AI revolution is going down. I'm going to be remotely shutting down robots, but hey at least they can change vacuum bags.

They can clean up the home base while we're out trying to win back earth from the AI. They'll be the house wife of the future.

You'd be surprised when it comes to fluorescent light bulbs. I work in a large bank building that houses the normal portion of the bank, our office, an attorney's office, separate wing for human resources, and another wing for loan processing. The light bulbs will be off in these other offices, and I finally asked why. They were waiting for maintenance to come change it. Since that day, I've found myself changing light bulbs in those offices. While I do it, I've heard comments on how they can never figure those things out.

What the fuck is going to happen if the shit hits the fan and power goes out?

Kids today are better than any previous generation. Plus kids today are only the product of failed generation x'ers who are products of failed baby boomer generation kids. The burnouts and addicts and mental illness of the 1960's is proof that the previous generations are not so great.

The old fart bag generation is hate filled, delusional and childish and I can't stand their hypocrisy. Thankfully they will be gone soon

Last edited by a moderator:
Blame the parents. I'm no mechanically inclined expert. I can do some things that are impressive and then I'll have to put together and take apart an Ikea coffee table 5 times to get it right. The point is that you should be teaching your kid troubleshooting skills from an early age. I didn't get that as a kid and noticed that I kind of froze up as soon as something wasn't right. My mind just didn't comprehend what to do to get past the problem. Took a while to develop those skills through my own research.

My current gf used to date this guy who couldn't even change a flat. They got a flat tire on the side of the road and she had to get out the jack, tire iron and spare and do the damn thing on her own because he had no idea what to do. All he knew how to do was call AAA and wait for a real man to come out and change it for him. Sad state of affairs.

Kids today suck and the world is doomed. Is that what you wanted OP?

when I had to do a paper in school, I had to research via an encyclopedia. the internet was around but it was slow as fuck and not like now. it took minutes between screens and it wasn't condensed and as easy to research shit.

now in the digital age, more kids want to socialize with their friends the way we are now. they don't hang out like we did. they message each other and talk via Skype, even in the same city. they have 0 desire to learn shit. they can have cell phones in their classes and most of them have laptops. fuck, we just paid the deposit on a MacBook for our son Jack. hes starting KINDERGARTEN next week. fucking kindergarten! my nephew just turned 16. he has no desire to drive a car. its driving my sister mad. shes tried in vain to get him to drive, to get his permit.

its a different age my friends.

when I had to do a paper in school, I had to research via an encyclopedia. the internet was around but it was slow as fuck and not like now. it took minutes between screens and it wasn't condensed and as easy to research shit.

now in the digital age, more kids want to socialize with their friends the way we are now. they don't hang out like we did. they message each other and talk via Skype, even in the same city. they have 0 desire to learn shit. they can have cell phones in their classes and most of them have laptops. fuck, we just paid the deposit on a MacBook for our son Jack. hes starting KINDERGARTEN next week. fucking kindergarten! my nephew just turned 16. he has no desire to drive a car. its driving my sister mad. shes tried in vain to get him to drive, to get his permit.

Your nephew may act like he has no desire to drive but I bet you anything that he's just scared.

Fistbump for giving your son a manly name.

Your nephew may act like he has no desire to drive but I bet you anything that he's just scared.

Fistbump for giving your son a manly name.

I think its legit fear as well as laziness. he said himself "why would I drive? you drive mom."

thanks. hes named after 2 grandfathers.

The day I got my 1984 Pontiac Fiero 2M4 is a day I will never forget. My first day with a car was my first day free.

I have been thinking about this recently. Cuz I am the least mechanical/practical person there could ever be. My father is not a handyman, or sportsmen of any kind. Like outdoors stuff. I have never touched a gun. He did play baseball and wrestle though. So he knows sports.

I was thinking that there is a critical learning period, like other things. If you have nobody to teach you stuff growing up, it gets harder.

I have noticed there are a lot conditions like non-verbal learning disorders, where kids have spatial problems. They learn better through theory and more abstraction than direct experience. I am like that.

It reminds me of a question Richard Feynman asked as a young student when dissecting a cat. "Do you have a model of the cat?" That is me. Not saying I am anywhere near Feynman, but Feynman thought very intuitively and abstractly, he was the only person who could understand his own work. He couldn't even translate it. But he was also a great teacher.

Some people just don't have a thirst for knowledge. The internet is really a test of your character. It has all the knowledge of humanity. I can learn about any fuckin thing at any time. Like even if I eat a banana or something. What is the history of these things? I'll look it up. How can I pass that up?

The vast majority of people throughout human history could not even read, much less have access to material. Only guys like Thomas Jefferson had personal libraries. Now everybody has one. I have always been a knowledge scrounge. I continuously download lectures and other material still. As a kid at my parents, I would print out entire books on their printer. lol. Or try to. Which is stupid and costly, but I am sick of hunching over the computer.

Some people just don't have a thirst for knowledge. The internet is really a test of your character. It has all the knowledge of humanity. I can learn about any fuckin thing at any time. Like even if I eat a banana or something. What is the history of these things? I'll look it up. How can I pass that up?

The vast majority of people throughout human history could not even read, much less have access to material. Only guys like Thomas Jefferson had personal libraries. Now everybody has one. I have always been a knowledge scrounge. I continuously download lectures and other material still. As a kid at my parents, I would print out entire books on their printer. lol. Or try to. Which is stupid and costly, but I am sick of hunching over the computer.

Most people aren't interested in learning useless knowledge. The history of the banana? Really?

I don't think the desire to learn of such facts means you're better. I think it means you have way too much time on your hands.

Back