Are Forrest Griffin and Yushin Okami really that heavy for their weightclass????

Forrest Griffin when he is not in a training camp gets up to 240lbs and is 6'3 he is a very big light heavyweight.
I don't know about Yushin Okami I never thought he was that big.

Why would it matter how big he gets when he is out of shape? The only thing that matters is fight night weight

weight in numbers, i guess only the fighters and their team really know. but size-wise they are pretty large guys compared to the rest of the division. although i guess ppl are catching up to these techniques and guys are getting bigger and bigger. gsp used to be considered huge now there are plenty of guys his size or bigger.

gsp can make lw, but he wont. his size gives him the speed he has. sorry for going off on a tangent.

guys are big for their weight class but more and more mmartists are getting there.

Guys, okami was 196 before cutting water, but he was obviously on a diet already, he is probably around 205 at the cage, about the same size as Vitor, Anderson, Munoz(there was a pic of him on a scale at 206 after the weighins), Chael...
Most of these guys are not that different in terms of size
I would say most fighters cut about 20lbs(not considering fat before the camp) at MW,WW,LW and LHW
Some LHW and HWs(Kole Conrad) can cut more since it's a smaller fraction of their total weight and FW,FLW and BW may cut less

Okami is certainly bigger than the average middleweight. He's also probably the only guy who has had 2 or 3 opponents go back to their stool in between rounds and tell their corner that he's too strong. Starnes, Singer and someone else, maybe roberts..

I met Forrest at UFC Expo in Boston.. ufc 118... forrest is fucking huge.

Go watch the Griffin/Franklin fight. You will see that Rich - who is a small LHW - but who weighed in at 205 looked like a midget compared to the MUCH, MUCH bigger Griffin. Yes, Forrest cuts weight well - and hasn't missed weight - but he's a huge LHW. And that's a fact.

I met him in Vegas prior to Couture v Gonzga. He was huge but he told me that he had bulked up to help train Randy. Still, he said he was 'way over 230lbs' and looked closer to 250lbs. It's not just his weight though, his joints, head, etc. are huge. He could probably be a mid-sized heavy and still be in great shape.

Last edited:
Wtf @ Shogun weighing in at 207 then not being able to drop to MW

Okami is certainly bigger than the average middleweight. He's also probably the only guy who has had 2 or 3 opponents go back to their stool in between rounds and tell their corner that he's too strong. Starnes, Singer and someone else, maybe roberts..

Swick

Why would it matter how big he gets when he is out of shape? The only thing that matters is fight night weight

He is still in shape and training. But he doesn't have a fight coming up so he doesn't have to watch his weight and he gets up that high.

they are big for their weigh classes okami is bigger for his

they were in the process of cutting weight in that vid thats why they sid they were so light

they are big for their weigh classes okami is bigger for his

they were in the process of cutting weight in that vid thats why they sid they were so light

this. these guys are close to fight night you think okami or griffin will be like 50 pounds over?

Well they both weigh in at or under the limit at fight time, so no, they're not heavy for their weight class.

That'd be cool if they actually were. They weigh in at or under the limit, but they don't fight until the next day. They gain a good amount of weight back.

but of course Jon Jone's is still "too big" for Anderson Silva even though he's fought bigger. What a poor excuse.

Why do some of you guys keep on trying to minimize the size of Okami and Griffin, especially the latter? It's as if you are either blind or purposefully trying to skew reality.

When GSP fought Koscheck the 2nd time there was a scene showing GSP getting on a scale 4 hrs after the weighin and he was 187 lbs. And GSP is 5'10" and a WW. That's 17 lbs right there and it's not even on fight night/time yet. Come fight time GSP's probably 190 lbs. Does it look to you that Okami's only 6 lbs bigger than GSP?

If GSP can do that, what makes you think Okami or Griffin can't absorb at least the same amount of water/food weight as GSP?

BTW, I have nothing against Okami or Griffin cutting weight. But I would like to see Griffin try out HW though.

Back