Are Forrest Griffin and Yushin Okami really that heavy for their weightclass????

s1fys

abc
@Brown
Reaction score

Skip to 5:32 and 5:59 for the answer!

89 kg = 196 pounds btw.

I know it's old, but I'm kind of surprised that both of them aren't as heavy as I thought they would be.

I'm a little taken back by how good Yushin's English is. Akiyama is the same way. The few times you hear them speaking English, they seem to not have much of an accent, at all.

Well they both weigh in at or under the limit at fight time, so no, they're not heavy for their weight class.

Oh shit, Jim Norton.

And they were at the end of their training camps and in the middle of cutting weight, so of course they'd be light.

Go watch the Griffin/Franklin fight. You will see that Rich - who is a small LHW - but who weighed in at 205 looked like a midget compared to the MUCH, MUCH bigger Griffin. Yes, Forrest cuts weight well - and hasn't missed weight - but he's a huge LHW. And that's a fact.

The weight cutting rumours really started getting out of hand. People need to realize that it is extremely difficult to cut water and then perform at an elite level physically, and that rumours of guys cutting exorbitant amounts of weight are generally untrue.

Go watch the Griffin/Franklin fight. You will see that Rich - who is a small LHW - but who weighed in at 205 looked like a midget compared to the MUCH, MUCH bigger Griffin. Yes, Forrest cuts weight well - and hasn't missed weight - but he's a huge LHW. And that's a fact.

Well forrest is also taller but yes you're also right

Forrest is enormous. Okami is not that heavy for his weight class, but does have a big-looking frame.

Everyone's body is different. Both Griffin and Okami have huge frames, but they always make weight and perform well, so that should be the end of the story.

Rich Franklin said Okami was the biggest middleweight he ever faced. Considering he faced Anderson Silva whom the haters claim cuts from 235lbs, that's saying something.

Okami's a decent sized MW, but like Anderson he was a WW, so i doubt he gets too far north of 200. He does have a big frame though.

The difference between okami and griffin is that okami probably doesn't really put on much weight.I doubt he goes over 200 lbs ever. Griffin can get chunky when he isn't preparing for a fight so i can see him getting up to 225-230 before a camp. Bones also used to go as high as 230 but it seems like lately he is trying to keep himself under 220 to make cutting easier.

Forrest Griffin when he is not in a training camp gets up to 240lbs and is 6'3 he is a very big light heavyweight.
I don't know about Yushin Okami I never thought he was that big.

This.

IIRC griffin said he arrived in ireland at 235-240 which was 2-4 days before the fight.

or Rogan said Griffin told him that.

Awesome. Belfort's boy trains UFC bro.

Okami's a decent sized MW, but like Anderson he was a WW, so i doubt he gets too far north of 200. He does have a big frame though.

i believe when he's just walking around and not getting ready to drop to 185, okami weighs (or has weighed) at around 220. he made a blog post years ago about getting to 100kg's for the first time.

when he's getting ready for a fight i'm sure he's quite a bit lower, but he definitely gets bigger than 200.

Forrest is HUGE....Okami is BIG.

Both ALWAYS come in on weight....so props to both.

UFCJUNKIE.COM: Forrest, we have another question here, he asks “There’s been a lot of talk about you dropping to middleweight. Is that something that you can do?“
FORREST GRIFFIN: There’s never been any talk about me dropping to middleweight ever. I’m 238 pounds at this moment.

UFCJUNKIE.COM: Well, there’s certainly been a lot of people rumoring it on the Internet; it’s just pure idle speculation?
FORREST GRIFFIN: I guarantee you nobody that’s ever met me ever said I should drop to 185. The last part of high school when I was 14, I was 6’ 1”, 185, and I haven’t weighed 185 since I was 14.

FORREST GRIFFIN: I just want you to know I’m eating a carton of ice cream to ice my shoulders after a workout.

UFCJUNKIE.COM: Forrest, what’s the most amount of weight you’ve ever had to cut in a 24-hour period?
FORREST GRIFFIN: In a 24-hour period I’m not really sure. I know when I showed up in Belfast Tuesday before Friday weighs-in I was 226.

UFCJUNKIE.COM: How long before the fight was that?
FORREST GRIFFIN: Tuesday, it was on a Friday weigh-in, so Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, four days more or less. I’m gonna try to never do that again. — I say as I put the cookies into my mouth.

Back