Are Conor and Khabib adequately marketing this fight?

Nate Dogg

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I understand Conor isn't doing anywhere near the same number of media appearances like he has in previous big fights, but like a student cramming til the last minute for his exams the next day, Conor is staying focused on training and passing on losing full days traveling back and forth across the Atlantic and doing a presser in Vegas. Khabib is training out of San Jose so any appearances for him is just a short jaunt along the West coast.

However, Conor has already laid out the biggest marketing stunt with his dolly attack and he's been lobbing cryptic tweets/instagram posts regularly since the fight was announced.

I think Khabib is too humble for his own good and needs to take a page out of DC's book and engage in marketing gamesmanship. Whether genuine or not, a well delivered tweet can mean 10s of thousands of viewers deciding to tune in.

Perhaps it's not Khabib's style, which probably endears him to his hardcore fans, but you can still be genuine and draw interest. Ppl are laying on Conor too much for his cheap one liners and staged photos, but the guy is doing his job (partly) in marketing the fight.

So does anyone else think Khabib should do more rather than letting his surrogates speak for him? Or does he represent a return to humble, quiet martial artists compared with the loud and obnoxious Conor's, Perry's, Ferguson's, Covington's, and Till's that get all the attention today?

I think if people continue to complain about low fighter pay, you have to look at how they market fights and unfortunately loud and flashy win over casuals like in other leagues such as the NFL and NBA. So my recommendation is Khabib needs to engage in the verbal jousting, even if he thinks everything Conor says is asinine and doesn't deserve a response. It doesn't take a lot of effort or time when you trade tweets/IG insults.

Khabib is doing promos with the UFC

Last edited:
Conor being on the fight card is enough promotion.

Conor has no time to promote... he's legit scared for his life.

Khabibs fans are going to watch anyway. Doesn't he have millions on twitter or something?

Wait for this weekends Card to be over, I think they'll ramp up the promotion for it then

giphy.gif

This should tide everyone over.

Even if the fight doesn't end up as huge as some people are predicting, it's still going to dwarf every recent card.

I've never been able to work up the interest to follow the buildup to a fight. What I do catch mostly consists of the thread titles here.

Khabib vs Tony wouldn’t have cracked 1 million PPV buys. Khabib has never cracked a million. Coming back after the Floyd fight Conor could fight any bum on the roster and do well over 1 million buys. He already has 4 of the top 5 UFC PPV records. The dolly incident was worth tens of millions of free promotion for the UFC. Picked up and discussed by ESPN and most mainstream news outlets world wide. Conor is going to pay for that promotion out of pocket in legal fees and civil suits. He tried to find a dance partner to build up the fight on social media but Khabib didn’t want to dance. So he goes and jabs Floyd Mayweather and again ESPN and other media were talking about It. More free promotion for the UFC. Conor has done more than his fair share to promote this fight.

You market the fight as it gets closer. There's no point doing much this far out. We live in the era of ADHD. Best time to start marketing it is the week of the fight.

I just came for the chicken.

giphy.gif

This should tide everyone over.
Shiet. Nevermind. Conner gonna GOAT! lookit that striking! RIP Khabib. Shoulda hit up that Tuesday deal at Popeyes instead of this.

I understand Conor isn't doing anywhere near the same number of media appearances like he has in previous big fights, but like a student cramming til the last minute for his exams the next day, Conor is staying focused on training and passing on losing full days traveling back and forth across the Atlantic and doing a presser in Vegas. Khabib is training out of San Jose so any appearances for him is just a short jaunt along the West coast.

However, Conor has already laid out the biggest marketing stunt with his dolly attack and he's been lobbing cryptic tweets/instagram posts regularly since the fight was announced.

I think Khabib is too humble for his own good and needs to take a page out of DC's book and engage in marketing gamesmanship. Whether genuine or not, a well delivered tweet can mean 10s of thousands of viewers deciding to tune in.

Perhaps it's not Khabib's style, which probably endears him to his hardcore fans, but you can still be genuine and draw interest. Ppl are laying on Conor too much for his cheap one liners and staged photos, but the guy is doing his job (partly) in marketing the fight.

So does anyone else think Khabib should do more rather than letting his surrogates speak for him? Or does he represent a return to humble, quiet martial artists compared with the loud and obnoxious Conor's, Perry's, Ferguson's, Covington's, and Till's that get all the attention today?

I think if people continue to complain about low fighter pay, you have to look at how they market fights and unfortunately loud and flashy win over casuals like in other leagues such as the NFL and NBA. So my recommendation is Khabib needs to engage in the verbal jousting, even if he thinks everything Conor says is asinine and doesn't deserve a response. It doesn't take a lot of effort or time when you trade tweets/IG insults.
Go apply at TMZ.

What's an adequate amount?

If the two of them are doing what they're contractually obligated to do.. then the UFC only has themselves to blame.

Like others have said I don't blame Conor for not doing as much as he usually do, because he's done more to promote himself than almost any other fighter I can think of. He's established now. People know what they're going to get and he isn't the defending champ going into this fight.

I think that onus should be on Khaleeb this fight because he is the current UFC champion. He should be trying to prove to the UFC that he's actually a draw and can sell a ppv on his own. Unfortunately between his limited english, reluctance to promote fights and even his wrestling heavy style I doubt the UFC will ever heavily invest into promoting his fights.

Conor has no time to promote... he's legit scared for his life.

Terrified of the guy that couldn't finish my realtor on one days notice.

I'm sure once UFC 228 is done all the real hype shall begin.

People don't understand this is a last cash grab for Conor before he disappears Ronda style, and nobody's talking about it.

If Conor loses this is the last time he fights

there no need to do anything for a fight that alreay sells itself. why should the ufc invest in khabib and conor doing 50 interviews in a day when there no need for it.

Back