Opinion Are All Men Equal?

If by "created equal" we mean "have the same basic set of rights" than it's a yes.
However social group and personal achievements mean a lot, so not really equal in the full meaning of the word.

Equal worth in the eyes of God and they should be treated that way also.

So a homeless person should be able to vote and be treated with respect and have the same rights as someone with multiple homes.

Of course America is based on capitalism, so some may end up living in a trailer while another person with the same background ends up in a mansion.

Kid came home with some homework and I thought this question would be perfect for discussion.

here is the question?

TIKQonp.jpg

They aren't in any way. Since men aren't equal (reality), human states should not try to cram a square peg into a round hole.

CREATED equal doesn't mean all men are equal. Certain behaviors lose certain rights, like felons losing their 2nd amendment rights and right to vote, and while they're in prison lose most of their rights. I'm personally not a fan of people who don't pay any income tax getting to decide tax rates, but they do.

I agree with being equal at birth, but not that everyone is exactly equal no matter what they do forever.

People aren't equal at birth either. Some are born strong and healthy, others are disabled, intelligence is mostly genetic, impulse control, athletic ability, etc. Some are capable of great spiritual advancement and insight; others are more base than animals.

Because the idea is that all men are equal under the law.

Taken to the natural endpoint that some people are entitled to more political rights than other people is how you end up with monarchies and other autocracies. If John can have more political rights than Luke then why can't John have more political rights than everyone? And if he can have more political rights than everyone, what is the endpoint for the scope of "more"?

Eventually you end up with John arguing that he should have more political rights than everyone and that the scope covers everything.

Yes precisely.

People aren't equal at birth either. Some are born strong and healthy, others are disabled, intelligence is mostly genetic, impulse control, athletic ability, etc. Some are capable of great spiritual advancement and insight; others are more base than animals.
RIght, but we're talking about rights, not ability. The clearest example of everyone not being created equal would obviously be the abortion thing. Even pro abortion people can't really argue the creation part isn't already over by then, and you really can't get more basic than the right to life.

The things I mentioned in my other post are examples of where people separate themselves from rights they did have, and thus understandably no longer have rights equal to the ones they had already had themselves, or forfeited rights. Abortion is an example of where people do not have equal rights from creation, nor equal protection in the eyes of the law.

RIght, but we're talking about rights, not ability. The clearest example of everyone not being created equal would obviously be the abortion thing. Even pro abortion people can't really argue the creation part isn't already over by then, and you really can't get more basic than the right to life.

The things I mentioned in my other post are examples of where people separate themselves from rights they did have, and thus understandably no longer have rights equal to the ones they had already had themselves, or forfeited rights. Abortion is an example of where people do not have equal rights from creation, nor equal protection in the eyes of the law.
No, you have a duty not to slay the innocent or to kill your children. You call this a right but it is in fact a legal duty we impose on parents- ideally punishable by death if violated.

Morally equal in the eyes of God. This is different from old European belief in church hierarchy and monarchy, or the idea of "Man-worth" in that a crime against a rich man was worse than a crime against a poor man. We have ALWAYS believed that the murder of a rich man is equal to the murder of a poor man, philosophically, even if the deep roots of bootlickers, racists, and ketchup dicks often fail to uphold our values.

Do we believe that? I don't think that's true.

That's why things like murdering a cop often have harsher sentences.

Back