AR-15 Recommendations

Post Mortem

Flattening of Emotions.
@purple
Reaction score
I'm hoping for some good recommendations on an AR-15. I only have experience with hand guns and shotguns. I've been curious about rifles for a while now and with the recent crying over ARs, I want to purchase one while I can and because I can.
Price isn't an issue. What I'm interested in is ease of use and reliability. Unfortunately, I live in california. Please take this into account.

Which thread should i be looking at?

All of 'em until you feel you've acquired the necessary information or sign up and start your own. The knowledge in this forum is impressive, but the traffic is minimal and spread out. For a state with as much bullshit going on as your's, it's a good idea to peruse some local boards and none will be more informative about AR15's than ARF.com. It's what they do.

Price isn't an issue. What I'm interested in is ease of use and reliability.

If price isnt an issue and you just want to be rebellious dont go with a 5.56 chamber get something with more ass on it.

like a 50 beowulf, that will get you the most bang out of your cali mag

it might not fit your ease of use criteria though

Unfortunately you are now gonna be stuck with the funky stocks that take away the pistol grips.
Something like this.
Stag-2TF-Featureless-AR-15-768x365.jpg

All the major brands have modified then for the most part. So now you have bullet button, pistol grip that is blocked off too and 10 round mags.
Here is a link to explain th CA AR madness
https://www.pewpewtactical.com/featureless-ar-15-rifle-grips-stocks-muzzle-devices/

Tons of brands to choose from S&W MP 15, Daniel Defense line, Colt, etc.

Last edited:
Some good stuff to go on. Thanks guys. Pretty sad though(california).

Unfortunately you are now gonna be stuck with the funky stocks that take away the pistol grips.
Something like this.
Stag-2TF-Featureless-AR-15-768x365.jpg

All the major brands have modified then for the most part. So now you have bullet button, pistol grip that is blocked off too and 10 round mags.
Here is a link to explain th CA AR madness
https://www.pewpewtactical.com/featureless-ar-15-rifle-grips-stocks-muzzle-devices/

Tons of brands to choose from S&W MP 15, Daniel Defense line, Colt, etc.
So not only will gun enthusiasts have a hell of a time understanding all the new restrictions (even the guy that wrote the article recommends an attorney several times throughout), but law enforcement will too. What a mess.

You're in the wrong state to buy an AR-15. So many restrictions there that what choices you're left with isn't even an AR-15 anymore.

If you move to another state I recommend a Colt LE6920, no frills, just a reliable, durable rifle. Throw on an Aimpoint PRO red dot optic, flashlight mount and a good light.

Thanks for the advice. I'm always trying to get out of this shit state. I just hope they're still legal when I do.

Move over one state to AZ, you can buy and own whatever you want.

I'm hoping for some good recommendations on an AR-15. I only have experience with hand guns and shotguns. I've been curious about rifles for a while now and with the recent crying over ARs, I want to purchase one while I can and because I can.
Price isn't an issue. What I'm interested in is ease of use and reliability. Unfortunately, I live in california. Please take this into account.

Where in California? Some counties have Sheriffs that openly say they don't give a shit about CA gun laws. In those counties it's relatively safe to have non-compliant weapons, but you'll still be playing roulette.

Where in California? Some counties have Sheriffs that openly say they don't give a shit about CA gun laws. In those counties it's relatively safe to have non-compliant weapons, but you'll still be playing roulette.
Orange. And whether I like them or not, laws are laws. I'm not looking to go around them.

Orange. And whether I like them or not, laws are laws. I'm not looking to go around them.
I'm not sure how it is in Orange, but in Kern I've never seen a compliant rifle (that includes ranges frequented by LEOs). I totally understand following the laws though. Even when a lack of enforcement seems an absolute certainty I'm not sure if it's worth playing felony roulette as all it takes is once to be totally fucked.

Also to answer your question, the most usable stock if you're going fully compliant is probably the Thordsen Gen III. It gets around the thumbhole stock issue by having the stock never actually touch the buffer tube.

102062d4f4298e6580c855fd28679f1a.jpg

Should be a rush on The Ar15...check this out, he is on point.

Back