Apatow vs McKay 2000's comedies

McKay's were funnier, Ferrell's best comedies were McKay films. Great combination. McKay has gotten acclaim transitioning to drama with movies like vice and producing succession which is a genius mix of drama and comedy, possibly the best show right now.

Apatow films were enjoyable grossout geek films but he also made more serious ones like funny people which I enjoyed more than knocked up, which is probably a minority opinion. Apatow is not as funny imo but more influential in comedy in finding talent and launching careers of rogan and a crew of others who are still very active

Fuck 99% of Will Ferrell movies.

Apatow's first several movies were all pretty good. Not so much these days.

McKay's movies were more laugh out loud hilarious and closer to a throw back to movies like Caddyshack or Animal House where the story was just a framework for bits. Apatow movies aren't as laugh out loud funny, but they are better "films" for sure.

Reactions: JSN
Matt Stone and Trey Parker

because Team America is better than every movie you listed

Fuck 99% of Will Ferrell movies.

Apatow's first several movies were all pretty good. Not so much these days.

Trainwreck was so bad, but I don’t entirely blame Apatow for that.

And the Transformer live action movies were produced by Spielberg, but I'm not blaming him for them.
McKay was an SNL writer during the Ferrell years and his movies show that.

<WhatIsThis>

McKay's were funnier, Ferrell's best comedies were McKay films. Great combination. McKay has gotten acclaim transitioning to drama with movies like vice and producing succession which is a genius mix of drama and comedy, possibly the best show right now.

Apatow films were enjoyable grossout geek films but he also made more serious ones like funny people which I enjoyed more than knocked up, which is probably a minority opinion. Apatow is not as funny imo but more influential in comedy in finding talent and launching careers of rogan and a crew of others who are still very active

i never liked some of the dialogue in Apatow films, it was never as good as the movies thought it was. Its like Tarantino dialogue from a stoners perspective just didnt always hit the mark for me.

They are so similar and worked together so im not sure why were comparing the two. All those movies listed are hilarious BTW. Most of those are movies from high school so id imagine that has something to do with it.

i never liked some of the dialogue in Apatow films, it was never as good as the movies thought it was. Its like Tarantino dialogue from a stoners perspective just didnt always hit the mark for me.
The only problem I have with Tarantino's dialogue is that everyone sounds like Tarantino or a version of tarantino which is ok if you're okay with it being in his mind or the world of his mind. I can maybe see that in Apatow scripts, maybe trying to be too clever or characters thinking, sounding too similar since it's from the same mind.

Sometimes if a writer is too well known the actors might adhere to the script more exact word for word and be afraid to improvise, which might then might make all the characters sound the same

The only problem I have with Tarantino's dialogue is that everyone sounds like Tarantino or a version of tarantino which is ok if you're okay with it being in his mind or the world of his mind. I can maybe see that in Apatow scripts, maybe trying to be too clever or characters thinking, sounding too similar since it's from the same mind.

Sometimes if a writer is too well known the actors might adhere to the script more exact word for word and be afraid to improvise, which might then might make all the characters sound the same

I get that its meant to flow like a regular conversation but after a while it takes on the opposite effect in my opinion.

Apatow
40 yo virgin
Knocked up
Pineapple express
Fun with dick and Jane
Walk hard
Zohan

McKay
Anchorman
Talledega nights
Step brothers
The other guys

Who left the bigger comedic mark on the 2000s?
Any single film in McKay's column is better than the best moments and laughs from every single film in Apatow's column combined.

Back