anyway to work in strength training in this routine?

CANADIANFIGHTCLUB

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
this is what my week looks like. (No I dont skip days ATALL)

monday.....kickboxing 8-10pm
Tuesday....Work with boxing coach 3-4pm.. Then BJJ 8-10pm
wendsday....BJJ 1-3pm... SOMTIMES boxing 3-5pm.... freestyle wrestling 8-10pm
thurdsay......boxing 3-5......BJJ ...8-10pm
friday....BJJ 1-3pm... boxing 3-5pm.....kickboxing 8-10
saturday.....boxing 3-5......MMA CLASS from 8-10pm
sunday I rest.

I think strength training is importaint but I dont know if I have the energy to add it to my routine, I know I could take some thing out and replace it with lifting but I really want my skill level to go up.

so do you think its ok to back off strength training all together till say I have to fight?
or should I try to work it in mabby 1-2 days a week?

Thank you

CANADIANFIGHTCLUB said:
I think strength training is importaint but I dont know if I have the energy to add it to my routine, I know I could take some thing out and replace it with lifting but I really want my skill level to go up.

First off...I admire your dedication. Second...the quickest way to get your skill level up is to get FOCUSED on one or two things. I really don't see how you can fit strength training into that kind of a training schedule unless you are basically a professional athlete who is doing nothing but training, eating, and sleeping.

Sorry, but that's my two cents.

holy shit i thought i trained alot, are you a pro??

somethin gotta go for any sort of strength training , but you could manage bodyweight stuff with all that

Man, that's a lot of training!! I don't know if adding strength work will just slow you down (as in tire you out more) given your schedule.

Anyway, if you really wanted to add strength work I'd just do something really, really simple and short. Something like clean and press for a few heavy sets one day, deadlift few heavy sets another day and squat or something for a few heavy sets. So yeah, training three days a week, but pretty much just doing one exercise per "session". Even with warm-ups should just take you 15-20min and it will cover most of the major muscle groups and if you add weight (even to just those three movements) you'll get stronger.

See how you go too, if it tires you out you may just have to decide if it's worth it or not.

Jesus, I wish I had the energy and dedication to train like that. I train BJJ 3 times a week and lift 3 and rest one. Man...I wouldn't even worry about strength training to be honest.

JoeU has a good idea. You could also try to fit in a day or two a week of 2 or 3 major lifts. That schedule is pretty insane though. I do something bjj/mma/weightlift/plyo's etc. just about everyday and sometimes I train twice a day, but it is still not as crazy as your schedule.

Bloody hell, do you work or go to school?

CANADIANFIGHTCLUB said:

sunday I rest.

so do you think its ok to back off strength training all together till say I have to fight?

Thank you
What time do you wake up in the morning? You could lift first thing and have a few hours until boxing to rest up.

That schedule is insane. How long have you been training in MMA? How long have you been training in weightlifting? What is your Height, weight? OBviously im guessing you want your lifting geared to becoming the best fighter possible but answering the other questions could give the rest of us a better guage to critique your schedule by.

I really wouldn't incorporate any weightlifting looking at the schedule.

Unless you can breeze by that schedule pretty easily................

wow man 25 hrs a week of training, thats crazy, do you work? looks like one set of bicep curls would send you into overtraining.

CANADIANFIGHTCLUB said:

sunday I rest.

Thank you

Canadian, with this schedule, you're either at pro level or trying to reach it. You need a personal strength and conditioning coach. We have CSCS's here in the states (that's what I'm studying to be), I'm not sure about Canada. But I'd visit a physical therapy center and just ask who to look for (what credentials are the REAL deal). Then look up people with those in the phone book, maybe do some research on whatever gym/institute they're at, and make a decision.

It will cost you less than you think, about the same as a boxing instructor for personal training sessions (less for routine "check-ups" where your fitness will be evaluated, your progress, and adjustments to your training schedule made).

But you need more than I think we can offer in this forum.

Hey, a good idea might be to see if you could find the emails of strength and conditioning coaches for the pro teams near you (hocket, basketball, baseball, it doesn't matter), and blindly email them asking who is the best in the field of combat martial arts. Those guys all go to the same seminars and conventions, so they'd know best in which direction to direct you.

Yea I know it is alot and I dont pretend it is easy, but no I dont work or go to school, I only train, fcfighter I got a kick out of that one hahah.

I live in Japan and train at the purebred gym. Good advice so far thank you.

brent, i have some e-books and stuff on training for wrestling and mma. there's a few really good ones on simple strength training that you might be able to fit into your schedule. i train at Purebred Kyoto, so if you have the address for wherever you're staying in Saitama, I can mail you a CD. With your full-time training routine, the only strength training you could be doing would be something that would make you stronger, but not tire you out. GTG type of stuff from Pavel Tatsouline. I have his books as well in e-book format.

oyaji poi said:
brent, i have some e-books and stuff on training for wrestling and mma. there's a few really good ones on simple strength training that you might be able to fit into your schedule. i train at Purebred Kyoto, so if you have the address for wherever you're staying in Saitama, I can mail you a CD. With your full-time training routine, the only strength training you could be doing would be something that would make you stronger, but not tire you out. GTG type of stuff from Pavel Tatsouline. I have his books as well in e-book format.

Hey thanks, I have a really simple routine from tudor bompa that I might try to fit in, but would like to take a look at what you have if you dont mind I get my mail at the omiya gym.

thanks

bert, if u add anything else to your schedule your gonna definitely be overtraining. unless you're superman of course, which i doubt cause you wouldnt have to train if u were superman

Back