Anyone work EMS?

Not an EMT but work in a hospital. Props to you guys for what you do, it's a tough job.

Moving sick, grumpy, obese people sucks

Used to work as an EMT-B doing IFTs. Now I'm an EMT at the emergency room of a fairly large hospital. Stroke and STEMI center but not trauma.

Not an EMT but work in a hospital. Props to you guys for what you do, it's a tough job.

Moving sick, grumpy, obese people sucks

Doctors and nurses can be total assholes too. If you don't bring a patient in with IV and ET tube in place perfectly. I'm ready to throw a frail when they talk down to me after finding this guy in a parking lot or between the bed and wall, terrible lighting, and family members raising hell, while trying to do cpr/hooking them up to the monitor/shocking, starting an IV and tubing them. Or trying to accomplish the same tasks while being slung around in the back of an ambulance.

Then you get them there as dressed as possible and have to deal with a snooty doctor or nurse, while they operate with a trained team, in perfect light, on a bed at the optimum height, using top notch equipment, can really rustle my jimmies.

Doctors and nurses can be total assholes too. If you don't bring a patient in with IV and ET tube in place perfectly. I'm ready to throw a frail when they talk down to me after finding this guy in a parking lot or between the bed and wall, terrible lighting, and family members raising hell, while trying to do cpr/hooking them up to the monitor/shocking, starting an IV and tubing them. Or trying to accomplish the same tasks while being slung around in the back of an ambulance.

Then you get them there as dressed as possible and have to deal with a snooty doctor or nurse, while they operate with a trained team, in perfect light, on a bed at the optimum height, using top notch equipment, can really rustle my jimmies.

Lol.

You don't have to tell me about asshole doctors and nurses.

Just yesterday I got into it with a newly graduated PA. He ordered an MRI on a pt with a pacemaker....:rolleyes:. I politely and discreetly told him I couldn't scan the pt because it might kill him. Through the course of the day I basically had to cancel or change 4 of the 6 exams he ordered. Towards the end of the day he dropped some "just do your job" remark..... didn't go well for him.

You guys have a tough job. If there's any food in the RAD control room I'll usually offer it to EMT's that have a spare minute. One EMT that comes through semi-regularly calls me "awesome pizza-guy" just because I let him have some leftover slices.

Lol.

You don't have to tell me about asshole doctors and nurses.

Just yesterday I got into it with a newly graduated PA. He ordered an MRI on a pt with a pacemaker....:rolleyes:. I politely and discreetly told him I couldn't scan the pt because it might kill him. Through the course of the day I basically had to cancel or change 4 of the 6 exams he ordered. Towards the end of the day he dropped some "just do your job" remark..... didn't go well for him.

You guys have a tough job. If there's any food in the RAD control room I'll usually offer it to EMT's that have a spare minute. One EMT that comes through semi-regularly calls me "awesome pizza-guy" just because I let him have some leftover slices.
Lol, good man!

It's not always like that, just sometimes. It just pisses you off when you know you worked your ass off to get them there and the ER personnel treat you like you just scooped them up and tossed the patient to them without doing a damn thing en route.

The hospital closest to my station/territory is an area trauma and stroke center.

Most of the nurses I know are great at the ER, but couldn't function in the field. They get the last laugh though on payday...

Shout out to my man @edco76. RIP brother!

He was a medic in Talledega, Al. Not too far from me.

I deal with emts a lot at my job. They all seem pretty unhappy tbh but i understand why. Every patient seems to be a whiny pain in the ass or obnoxiously drunk

I worked as an EMT for a private ambulance service in Chicago for about a year and a half right after college. It was interesting, gratifying, scary and boring depending on the day. It afforded me the opportunity to go into places like Cabrini Green and The Robert Taylor homes. It gave me some perspective on what living in those kinds of places must be like.

Day shifts were largely filled with basic transports but we would get overflow emergency calls as well. The midnight to 8am shifts I worked for several months on the south side were more emergency calls. I definitely saw interesting and disturbing stuff on that job.

You guys deserve a lot of credit for the shit you put up with and what you go through. I'm a Dr but I did an EMT course (4 week fast track) one summer. I felt like I was in some sort of boot camp. It was one of the most intense classes I've taken. The instructors would yell in your face and call you stupid. I had the highest final test grade and highest cum test avg but decided that it wasn't for me. I never pursued that path. I prefer the comfort of an air-conditioned building.

xmuojnA.gif

i was NREMT-b and a corpsman In the navy many moons ago. got to do some really cool stuff but not worth it imo. the amount of stress and crap you have to deal with is not worth the pay; srsly some of the most underpaid people considering what they do

Back