Anyone work EMS?

Thanos

Courting Death
@Black
Reaction score
I've been a medic 6 yrs this is how I feel tonight, I think I'm finally gettin to this level

FB_IMG_1469672609487.jpg

What type of EMS service do you work for, FD, ambulance service, ect? What kind of shift do you work? Just curious; I recently finished an EMT course.

I did for a year and a half. I was a month away from finishing EMT-P and I picked up a BS charge that I was never convicted of. I disclosed it, and was kicked off being able to finish my clinicals. I had been working as a basic on a advanced bus most of the time for $10 an hour (lol), and then sometimes on a basic as well. I found the guys that do this job to be worse than women, and all having issues with life that they weren't cops or firefighters. There was no normal camaraderie, and too many people acted miserable. Patient care in the United States sucks because of the humorless games Nurses and medics play at work. Nurses are mostly women, that didn't surprise me. It really seemed like nobody had a decent sense of humor. Like, the medics thought it was real funny to throw paper wads and stuff at each other, but that's like it.

I could have waited 6 months and tried to finish my clinicals and complete Paramedic, but I got a real job selling cars where I made 4k a month, so I never did. I guess I kind of regret it, but again, most of those people were trashy and unhappy. I'm glad things went the way they did, actually.

I worked as an EMT on an ambulance for 1.5 years. It was awful but I don't regret it. Very happy I didn't stay in that field though. The pay was pathetic and the stress was high. I hated working with nurses and firefighters.

What's up with the NREMT? Are those people just a bunch of unprofessional twits, or what?

What type of EMS service do you work for, FD, ambulance service, ect? What kind of shift do you work? Just curious; I recently finished an EMT course.

I'm an instructor and department supervisor of a rural ems service. We are privately owned and do both emergency and patient transfers. Our company covers half our state. I make good money 72500 a year with some perks. we do 24 hr shifts, we have our own in house Academy.

but I shoulda finished my computer science degree lol

I was never a paramedic, but I know a few of them.

Pay is in the area between decent and crap, in the $40K to $50K range for PCP. You're not gonna starve, but you won't be very comfortable either. The stress can be high at times, but also long periods of boredom. The Advanced Life Support Unit (ACP and CCP) guys get paid a bit more, close to $70K. My friend asked me to do the EMR course with him after we completed OFA III (advanced first aid + transport), but I decided not to go through with it.

Last edited:
You guys deserve a lot of credit for the shit you put up with and what you go through. I'm a Dr but I did an EMT course (4 week fast track) one summer. I felt like I was in some sort of boot camp. It was one of the most intense classes I've taken. The instructors would yell in your face and call you stupid. I had the highest final test grade and highest cum test avg but decided that it wasn't for me. I never pursued that path. I prefer the comfort of an air-conditioned building.

I'm EMT-B but only because it's the minimum requirement to get a firefighter job. I consider it a necessary evil and luckily we don't transport, so after we load them into the ambulance, we jump back into our engine and head back to quarters

You guys deserve a lot of credit for the shit you put up with and what you go through. I'm a Dr but I did an EMT course (4 week fast track) one summer. I felt like I was in some sort of boot camp. It was one of the most intense classes I've taken. The instructors would yell in your face and call you stupid. I had the highest final test grade and highest cum test avg but decided that it wasn't for me. I never pursued that path. I prefer the comfort of an air-conditioned building.

<23>

cage-tired.gif

I worked as an EMT on an ambulance for 1.5 years. It was awful but I don't regret it. Very happy I didn't stay in that field though. The pay was pathetic and the stress was high. I hated working with nurses and firefighters.

How dare you

I'm EMT-B but only because it's the minimum requirement to get a firefighter job. I consider it a necessary evil and luckily we don't transport, so after we load them into the ambulance, we jump back into our engine and head back to quarters
That's how we do it too. But as a paramedic on an engine company, we are in charge of the scene and the patient until we turn them over to the ambulance or ER if we ride in.

My cousins husband was an EMT but he got fired cause I guess he forgot to secure the door or something and the patient fell out the ambulance while it was driving

I was an EMT for 6 years in my late teens/early 20s. Both volunteer and paid. For the paid it was mostly just transporting old people back to their nursing home from the hospital but I would get some legit calls on the volunteer side. Overall it was a pretty fun experience and I made decent money for a college kid.

I've been a professional firefighter for just over 20 years. I've been a paramedic/firefighter since 2007. I am a captain on an advanced life support pumper. We answer fire and medical calls.

Back