Anyone Use How to fight now vids?

Bennosuke

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
So a while back there was a relatively popular vid in which the creator of howtofightnow.com challenged guys on the street to hit him, while he used head movement to defend. The vid was cool, but was an advertisement for his website "How to fight now". The website is free though you have to register (so what they spam you with adds?), and I was considering checking it out. I was wondering if anyone had registered and if the vids were useful.

I guess I'm just too lazy to register if it's not going to be that useful or informative.

Fightsmart, the whole headmovement thing for 90 dollars just reeks of Mcdojo, though i can't comment on your grappling.

I feel it would lend more credibility if you were in with a high level boxer, hands down, using your head movement system and seeing if he doesn't knock you back and forth around the ring. If you did this and didn't get hit, i'd buy a copy myself. That or having one of your students who you've trained with your head movement program demonstrating it in competition.

Instead, the proof and foundation of your program is you clowning a bunch of dudes off the street who don't know how to throw a punch and probably couldn't hit the side of a barn. It's akin to how traveling circuses would have a ring entertainer take on a bunch of schmucks with a hand tied behind his back. Then you have people in the crowd (apizur) staring wide eyed in amazement, clapping their hands like trained seals, waving their wallets above their heads.

The video is entertaining but all it says is "It probably won't work against a fighter who knows his shit.. but Hey! It will maybe work on a bunch of doofuses on the street!" If that's what you're peddling, then i guess that's fine. But if you're really pushing the fact that this will really teach people how to be excellent fighters, street or competition-wise, just by paying money and watching videos, then i'd say otherwise.

I've purchased programs from fightsmart and I really like them. And I'm an EXTREMELY cheap bastard. I tried to find other good instruction for free on youtube and there are certainly good things to be learned out there, but you have to sift through waves of mediocre/bad/conflicting advice to get the useful stuff.

I ordered one program from Trav and I liked it, I learned a lot, so I ordered another one, and so on, until now I think I've bought every program he sells.

Is he going to teach you how to be the best boxer? No. And he's not going to get you in the UFC either. But that's not really his focus.

For a noob like me it's been worth the money. When I'm at a bar or concert or someplace where fights occur, I feel like I've gone from being able to beat 20% of the drunk bastards to being able to beat 65% of the drunk bastards.

If I wasn't so lazy and I'd actually did all the exercises in the program regularly, I'd probably bump that number up to 90%. But yes, people who train seriously at a good gym will always be in that top 10% who can mop the floor with me... even if they're drunk :icon_lol:

Fortunately for me, people who train seriously are usually not the ones starting fights.

I've seen some of the videos on youtube, if you want to learn some basics without attending any classes it's probably slightly helpful, otherwise attend a few classes and you'll get it.

So a while back there was a relatively popular vid in which the creator of howtofightnow.com challenged guys on the street to hit him, while he used head movement to defend. The vid was cool, but was an advertisement for his website "How to fight now". The website is free though you have to register (so what they spam you with adds?), and I was considering checking it out. I was wondering if anyone had registered and if the vids were useful.

I guess I'm just too lazy to register if it's not going to be that useful or informative.

I think he came up with a new street fighting series. I think it's very informative. I had it bookmarked at home. I'm waiting for when all the "episodes" come out.

Nothing you wouldn't learn inside a month of classes from what I've seen.

if you click on my name in the left of the post, there is a link to my website on boxing technique, you may find some advanced stuff there

Last edited:
I was looking into that site a bit. I found it very strange that the guy claims on his site to have several pro fights and a gym where he coaches but no mention of that gym or record of his fights anywhere. Can't even find his full name.

I was curious after seeing that video but I couldn't find anything and also didn't feel like signing up. From what I watched it looks like he has a solid but basic series of videos. Nothing particularly advanced.

Probably nothing you couldn't learn anywhere else online. You'd likely get better advice from Sinister.

Boxing is basic shit. What is "advanced" to you anyway? The shoulder roll? Everything in boxing is basic. No one is reinventing the wheel or teaching you anything new.

Also if it's that guy who utilized his awesome head movement on a bunch of clumsy untrained oafs and still got clocked, his head movement sucked anyway. It was spazzy and excessive. The only reason people thought it looked good, is because most people don't know shit about boxing. In comparison to people who don't know their left from right foot, anything looks good. Also the last time i checked, the guy was an MMA fighter. That's like wanting to learn how to defend a double leg takedown from a boxer. Maybe he can give you the gist of it, but it's probably not the best person to learn it from.

But if you change your mind you can buy his 'Head Movement Training Program' for the low price of only 97 dollars!

http://howtofightnow.com/head-movement-training-program/

Last edited:
Looking through the site, i don't know if the guy is just trolling the shit out of everyone or what.

What do you guys think about "expertboxing" by the way?

If you want to do a more modern form of boxing, then he covers the basics quite well. His videos are free, easily accessible on youtube and its easy to understand what he is saying.

However, other stuff of his is straight bullocks. I can't see why anyone would buy his $80+ book for dancing unless they are a keen dancer or something and I think the relevance between the two is pretty low (I mean, every sport requires coordination and balance etc. and the best way to get good boxing footwork is from practicing boxing).

Also, the guy's "tone" in his articles annoy me. He speaks like he knows everything and he is some world class trainer when, in reality, he is 0-1 as an amateur after all these years...

Probably nothing you couldn't learn anywhere else online. You'd likely get better advice from Sinister.

Boxing is basic shit. What is "advanced" to you anyway? The shoulder roll? Everything in boxing is basic. No one is reinventing the wheel or teaching you anything new.

Also if it's that guy who utilized his awesome head movement on a bunch of clumsy untrained oafs and still got clocked, his head movement sucked anyway. It was spazzy and excessive. The only reason people thought it looked good, is because most people don't know shit about boxing. In comparison to people who don't know their left from right foot, anything looks good. Also the last time i checked, the guy was an MMA fighter. That's like wanting to learn how to defend a double leg takedown from a boxer. Maybe he can give you the gist of it, but it's probably not the best person to learn it from.

But if you change your mind you can buy his 'Head Movement Training Program' for the low price of only 97 dollars!

http://howtofightnow.com/head-movement-training-program/

The advanced part of boxing is the subtleties of technique and the application of those basics. His videos give a decent explanation of the main idea behind the overall mechanics of a punch but don't go into the serious details like weight transfer, movement at the hips, punching with leverage and sitting down on the punches. Nor do they go into how to set up punches or how to use them to set up other punches in any meaningful capacity. That's probably what he means when asking if there's any advanced information.

As for the guy being an MMA fighter, he claims to be a former pro fighter and current coach on his site but has no videos/records of his fights and no mention of his gym anywhere. My impression is that he's bullshitting to get people to buy his stuff. I've never heard of a trainer who would put out an entire instructional set without even dropping the name of his gym at some point. He's probably the MMA version of the expertboxing guy, someone who trained but wasn't successful and is trying to make some money acting like he knows everything to people who don't know the difference.

Here is some real dope: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14p1AFcVa4M

What do you guys think about "expertboxing" by the way?

Haha, pretty solid video.

I'm ambivalent about that site. Some articles are awful, some are pretty good. I'd say it's worth reading as long as you're not just accepting everything he says as fact. I guess my opinion is that I wouldn't want him to coach me in any sense of the word, but he still knows enough to teach beginners and there are definitely worse coaches out there.

Edit: Also, I'm waiting for Nuke to come in here and rip that site apart :icon_chee

Here is the video of the guy. Not half bad as I see it, all things considered. And look at how much the dudes are getting into it lol. Hitting full blast and stuff.

I watched a few of his videos, and some of the stuff was pretty good. I tried looking him up as well, and when I couldn't find any other trace of him online, I moved on.

Anyway, regarding expertboxing, I wouldn't recommend them.

One of the the best I've seen out there are probably JT Van V/precisionstriking's videos, as mentioned before.

Posted from a thread I started cause I couldn't find this thread...

I remember there was a thread in this forum a few weeks back talking about the guy in this video.
I have since signed up for his website. I put his unlisted videos into a playlist so that they can be viewed by others. Here's the link.
I'd like to know what people think if they view any of the videos.

I've watched all his head movement stuff and I have to say it's pretty good. He had some nice ideas or should I say he shared some nice ideas that I hadn't heard of before. The concept of training head movement combos as you would punch combos was something that I immediately thought was both brilliant but simple and obvious in the sense of 'Why didn't I think of that??'

We all know how to fade/rear slip, u slip, roll under, straight slip but have you ever thought of training them in combination for drills and against which punch combos they work against?

Well fellas, as the guy who created the website you're talkin about, I figured I'd chime in here!

For one, I think there's a good mix of both basic and advanced stuff on the site. I would disagree with anyone who says that it's "too basic". I show one sequence in the "instant fight enders" section which teaches you how to execute a single leg takedown and control your opponents landing so that you can move immediately into an inside heel hook... I think I might even show it as a jab counter..

I don't think that's basic, poorly produced video perhaps, but not basic as far as technique goes.

Also, if you guys watched the Olympics a while back where the woman's gymnastics team won the gold... you might have seen Bella Karolyi (the old-mustached-fat-coach) jumping around like a maniac.

I can guarantee you that he would have DIED if he attempted the uneven bars... but his understanding of the sport is what made him a great coach... an olympic gold medal level coach.

I might only have 3 pro MMA fights, but I've spent the last 16 years training with some top level fighters, and I could have ZERO fights but still really know what I'm talking about.

MMA gave me anxiety... my brain processes possiblities nonstop, and mental flashes of negative possibilities would bother me while watching Disney movies... that was not a fun way for me to live.

I would rather devote my energy to productive elements of MMA... not training until my body breaks down and then fighting in a cage, just so I can barely cover the medical expenses of the fight (like the doctors, $1,000 cat scans, and blood tests that you have to get just to be allowed to fight at low levels)... meanwhile peddling tickets for a $10 dollar/ticket profit to try to enhance the monetary side of it.

No thanks... I'd rather make videos.

I've had a lot of pros compliment my attention to detail in my video training, and tell me that they've learned some cool tricks when watching even my basic videos. I dont want to talk myself up too much, but I don't think that there are many people out there breaking down technique the way that I do, while actually making watchable videos.

To those of you who supported the site on this thread, thanks! Everyone else should check it out before judging the book by it's MMA career... (which only had one bullshit split-decision loss mind you ;-)

I still can't believe that 2 judges scored that thing against me...

Well fellas, as the guy who created the website you're talkin about, I figured I'd chime in here!

For one, I think there's a good mix of both basic and advanced stuff on the site. I would disagree with anyone who says that it's "too basic". I show one sequence in the "instant fight enders" section which teaches you how to execute a single leg takedown and control your opponents landing so that you can move immediately into an inside heel hook... I think I might even show it as a jab counter..

I don't think that's basic, poorly produced video perhaps, but not basic as far as technique goes.

Also, if you guys watched the Olympics a while back where the woman's gymnastics team won the gold... you might have seen Bella Karolyi (the old-mustached-fat-coach) jumping around like a maniac.

I can guarantee you that he would have DIED if he attempted the uneven bars... but his understanding of the sport is what made him a great coach... an olympic gold medal level coach.

I might only have 3 pro MMA fights, but I've spent the last 16 years training with some top level fighters, and I could have ZERO fights but still really know what I'm talking about.

MMA gave me anxiety... my brain processes possiblities nonstop, and mental flashes of negative possibilities would bother me while watching Disney movies... that was not a fun way for me to live.

I would rather devote my energy to productive elements of MMA... not training until my body breaks down and then fighting in a cage, just so I can barely cover the medical expenses of the fight (like the doctors, $1,000 cat scans, and blood tests that you have to get just to be allowed to fight at low levels)... meanwhile peddling tickets for a $10 dollar/ticket profit to try to enhance the monetary side of it.

No thanks... I'd rather make videos.

I've had a lot of pros compliment my attention to detail in my video training, and tell me that they've learned some cool tricks when watching even my basic videos. I dont want to talk myself up too much, but I don't think that there are many people out there breaking down technique the way that I do, while actually making watchable videos.

To those of you who supported the site on this thread, thanks! Everyone else should check it out before judging the book by it's MMA career... (which only had one bullshit split-decision loss mind you ;-)

I still can't believe that 2 judges scored that thing against me...

have you been lurking this whole time? haha...love that video on the street, btw.

what a cute and friendly guy. nice. i understand what u mean about pressure to perform. i can also understand that u love it a lot but the pressure is to much when uve got other things going on. good for u that u made a site.

Back