Anyone train in Miami, Fl?

Hendrick20

White Belt
Reaction score
Looking for a gym in Miami to train. If you have any experience positive or negative with any of the local schools (FFA, ATT affiliates, Rilion Gracie's academy etc.) your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..

If you are near Hollywood I'd consider Marcelo Garcias. Don't know much about the Gracie academy. ATT is alright, I've heard some decent comments about the one in Miami but of course the best is the main one in Coconut Creek (there are ATT schools popping up all over Florida some seem a little hacky), Popovich is another good option but it is in Ft. Lauderdale.

The school I go to is Machado affiliated but they have dropped the gi classes due people only wanting to do no-gi. So I'm strongly considering Marcelo's.

Ive trained at 2 different places in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area.

FFA and ATT Miami.

There is a heavy emphasis on grappling at ATT Miami while FFA is more of an MMA school. Both schools are great. For my tastes I would give the edge to FFA because they mix it up rather than being on grappling. It all depends on what you want though. If you want mma, go ffa.

The gym at FFA is bigger and better
ATT Miami has smaller class sizes(at least for no gi)

Both places have good instruction. Though if you want to be trained directly under a black belt in BJJ you should go with ATT Miami. BJJ instructor is "Boca" Olivera(that might be spelled wrong)

FFA has the Avellan brothers, though they only teach the advanced classes. Begginers classes are trained by the staff. Which leads to another topic.

ATT doesnt have begginer classes or advanced. if you are new you'll be thrown in with some really advanced guys.

FFA has separation of begginers and advanced

Silva and Nogueira are opening a gym soon(thread on this on main page) on 8th street. Im gonna be looking into that.

I train at Gracie academy, graciemiami.com. Its mostly self-defense for street fights and vale tudo type fighting, not sport MMA or Jiu jitsu. You still learn alot of sport BJJ techniques in the advanced classes. Very good facilities, good people, but IMO its expensive, and i am looking for something more MMA & sport-ish, because i enjoy competing. So i will be switching camps once my contract ends, probably to ATT.

I disagree with the other guy that said that ATT is mostly grappling, i think it has to do with the school you go to. The one i checked out was in Doral, and they teach Muay Thai, MMA stand up and Ground, and they have no-gi and Gi BJJ. Very vast array of classes and the training is by a pro fighter.

As far as FFA, i haven't personally gone, but i've heard some things that i didnt like. For one they force you to take beginner classes, and im not 100% sure, but i think they charge you extra when you graduate to their advanced classes. Also the class size may be huge due to their 30 day trial. Also i hear the beginner classes are mostly grappling.

I was speaking about ATT Miami.

I dont know about Doral(didnt even know there was a doral location to be honest)

And the beginner classes are mostly grappling. A reason why im looking to switch. that and some other things you mentioned.

Looking for a gym in Miami to train. If you have any experience positive or negative with any of the local schools (FFA, ATT affiliates, Rilion Gracie's academy etc.) your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..

If you are looking for a place to train in Miami, you need to go and look up Daniel Valverde. The guy is amazing on the mat.

man rillion gracie jiu jitsu academy thats all i got to say trained at att ffa and ffa was better then att there training was better and everything but rillion gracie top notch jiu jitsu i mean your learning from a gracie what more could you ask for

better than which att? Theres so many. You talking about the main location in coconut creek?
Miami?
Doral?

anybody got the address of att (valverde) in south beach...??

thx...

If you are near Hollywood I'd consider Marcelo Garcias. Don't know much about the Gracie academy. ATT is alright, I've heard some decent comments about the one in Miami but of course the best is the main one in Coconut Creek (there are ATT schools popping up all over Florida some seem a little hacky), Popovich is another good option but it is in Ft. Lauderdale.

The school I go to is Machado affiliated but they have dropped the gi classes due people only wanting to do no-gi. So I'm strongly considering Marcelo's.

wouldn't know about that, att in hallandale is headed by Marcus Aurelio and Thiago Alves

marcelos is an awsome place i dunno why youd go n e where else for bjj

marcelos is an awsome place i dunno why youd go n e where else for bjj

i heard he charges 400 bux for a private. one of my gym buddies went down there and took a private (got a discount somehow, down to 250 i think), but he said it was more than worth the coin.

what are the monthly dues like? does Marcelo teach all the classes?

it seems that there is only one class per day. Is there gonna be morning classes or more classes daily in the future?

ya he teaches every class unless he goes out of town its 170 a month and no mornin classes yet he is opening in a new location next month that will tho

Back