Anyone sold on patient Whittaker being able to outstrike Izzy? Cause i am

Yep 100%

Not only that, he'll wipe the floor with Vettori afterwards, assuming Sober Costa doesn't do it first. Sober Costa vs Patient Rob is the fight we need

Why is this thread posted as created today?

coulda sworn this thread is weeks old and was just bumped? But for me it says it was created today

Something has been up with the Sherdogs database? sometimes the main UFC Discussion doesn't update properly and shows the same threads for hours

Why is this thread posted as created today?

coulda sworn this thread is weeks old and was just bumped? But for me it says it was created today

Something has been up with the Sherdogs database? sometimes the main UFC Discussion doesn't update properly and shows the same threads for hours

If you're not logged in it won't update properly so the sometimes you mention is probably when you get logged out.

Rob could have won the first fight with a better gameplan and fight IQ.

If he used more jabs,feints and ended his blitz flurry with leg/body kick/punch he would have won.

Well, he can’t do worse, right?

Wouldn’t favor him in a kickboxing match regardless; he could deal with the range or the speed or the power with a different approach but all of those traits together make it a bad bet.

But, he doesn’t need to win a striking match outright. He just needs Izzy to have to focus and respect his striking, and flow right into takedowns when Izzy commits and gets comfortable with his striking flow and leans. Then, if he dumps Adesanya on his butt every time Izzy thinks they’re about to exchange in the pocket, forces Izzy to hesitate, you might see Whittaker start to have more success on the feet than you’d think he has any right to (completely different kind of fighter, but basically a GSP fight plan).

Still, that’s a tall order. I’d say it’s within Rob’s skills to do, but it’s at the high end of his range. And even if he does, that doesn’t mean it’s outside of Izzy’s abilities to deal with a well-executed fight plan better than he did against Jan.

In short, I wouldn’t be shocked by it, but that doesn’t mean I’m betting on it, either. Certainly thinks he deserves the shot.

He’s not beating Izzy in a straight up kickboxing match. Still doubtful he beats him in an MMA fight. But Jan showed it’s not impossible.

You can hope, but I think you'll be disappointed. Izzy is just on another level altogether. No shame in that.

He’s not beating Izzy in a straight up kickboxing match. Still doubtful he beats him in an MMA fight. But Jan showed it’s not impossible.

Jan did show that, but not without significant physical adbantages......it was closer than those incompetent judges made out.

Jan did show that, but not without significant physical adbantages......it was closer than those incompetent judges made out.
I agree that it was a fairly close fight. I guess my point is, engaging in a straight kickboxing match isn’t the path to victory.

I agree that it was a fairly close fight. I guess my point is, engaging in a straight kickboxing match isn’t the path to victory.

Sure thing. Can't play Izzy's game and expect to come out on top. Rob's difficulty as with almost all Izzy's oppoents is how to get inside to.grapple and wrestle Izzy, as unlike Jan they can't afford to get clipped on the way in, especially from a shot (hello left hook) they don't see coming. There in lies the dilemma. Dilly Dally on the outside and get picked off with ease. Dive in and get clipped by a shot you don't see and end up on you back seeing stars or like Costa on all fours getting humped.

Yeah you want to have a patient kickboxing match with adasanya being smaller and slower with less power.

He will just get picked apart and legs beaten up so badly with that gameplan.

Izzy will starch him again or it'll be Izzy/Romero 2.0, Izzy will outpoint him in an all-time boring fight

We saw what Jan did to Izzy with patience. Whittaker is a faster more technical striker than Jan. I believe Whittaker had the wrong gameplan for Izzy last time. Running in like that with no regard for the counters seemed like a smart thing to do then, but with time it's been proven Izzy is one of the most dangerous counter punchers today. Rob's attack will be different and i think he can do it... Close to a 50/50 fight. 60/40 Izzy imo.

He should do better than the first fight, I do wonder if this is one of those matchups that will always favour Izzy though.

We saw what Jan did to Izzy with patience. Whittaker is a faster more technical striker than Jan. I believe Whittaker had the wrong gameplan for Izzy last time. Running in like that with no regard for the counters seemed like a smart thing to do then, but with time it's been proven Izzy is one of the most dangerous counter punchers today. Rob's attack will be different and i think he can do it... Close to a 50/50 fight. 60/40 Izzy imo.
I sure hope you are right. Bobby Knuckles is the polar opposite of GenderBender in likability.

I think Izzy beats him again, but Rob has a way better chance at beating Izzy, should he fights with as much variety as he did against Gastelum.

Whoever wins this in somewhat decisive fashion also adds a major feather to his cap.

Back