• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anyone remember AOL chatroom "punters"?

Remember how at first, it was like "5 free hours" and then before you knew it, it was like "1000 free hours".

Yes you young bastards - we used to have to pay for the internet, per hour
The evenings were a bitch, I remember waiting 45 minutes sometimes just to log into AOL because our local phone number was being swamped by people trying to get online.

I was a pretty big "progger" back in the day. Made Oreo punter, AWS, and Nuke if anyone used those.

..... I MADE OREO PUNTER. DONT JACK MY SHIT. no lie. that's how i got into programming... same handle as my username here on sherdog

PROOF1: http://biosfear.tripod.com/aol30.html

Hmmm...is this serious? What are the odds that the dude who supposedly wrote some moderately well known program from like 15 years ago is in the same Sherdog thread as some dude who is apparently lying about writing it???

Anyway, I don't know what punting is in this context.

I vividly remember FateX and whatever the one was that played Metallica's Enter Sandman. Used to think that was the coolest thing ever.

The evenings were a bitch, I remember waiting 45 minutes sometimes just to log into AOL because our local phone number was being swamped by people trying to get online.

Oh yeah, I remember that bull shit.

At one point, I used to dial up with "freeI.net"

It was a totally free ISP for a while....for true 28.8 / 33.6 speeds whatever it was. AOL was a lot less expensive when you didn't have to use their dial up numbers as I remember.

Lol liars were exposed in this thread.

I was like 10 or 11 when aol 3.0 dropped. I only ever used programs that would allow me to control my music thru the chat rooms. God I forget the names of that shit. If my old laptop will boot ill still have one downloaded.

Friends - hotties. Yeah.

I eat oreos.

I started an online chat group called CA for chat antagonists. We were like 10 deep, all join a chat room at the same time and make threats. We would say stupid crap like "we are the chat antagonists bow down to us or u will regret it". We would then proceed to insult everyone and eventually punt them and give them viruses. I was the starter and leader of the group.

Anyone remember the chatrooms where the bots would send u movies and cds ? I forgot the name of the rooms but u coukd get anything u wanted, games / movies/ CDs... this was way before it was easy to get that stuff

I never drink soda but I drank soda on thanksgiving and stayed in an aol rap chat room and keystyled all night

I got screwed over once. I used a number that was the same area code but still considered long distance. My mom comes to me with a 2k bill. She was mad

Im the programming programmer that programmed that cookie thing. Or whatever.

I never had AOL but what got me into the internet in general was chatting in Excite's "Pillow Talk" chat room. As a 12/13 year old, that was the zenith of life right there; pretending to be a 22 year old surfer to get all these "hot chicks" to say nasty stuff to you.

On IRC I would pretend I was a girl, then give an ex-GF's number to them and hear the following day in school how so-and-so was kept up all night by a horny dude from Montana continually calling.

I never used the chat rooms , but I remember trying to surf the internet on a 14.4kb modem back in 1994/95. Yahoo was my go to site, and I *think* gamespot existed back then.

I eat oreos.

I started an online chat group called CA for chat antagonists. We were like 10 deep, all join a chat room at the same time and make threats. We would say stupid crap like "we are the chat antagonists bow down to us or u will regret it". We would then proceed to insult everyone and eventually punt them and give them viruses. I was the starter and leader of the group.

Anyone remember the chatrooms where the bots would send u movies and cds ? I forgot the name of the rooms but u coukd get anything u wanted, games / movies/ CDs... this was way before it was easy to get that stuff

yeah i call bullshit on 'giving people viruses'.

and they're called mp3 servers: /send list

that's why when people say "/thread" part of me gets angry inside. it's a bastardized version of </thread>, which most people who use it don't even know about. the reason it is commonly used as </thread> is because old school forums didn't have any markup of their own, so they either allowed html or didn't, by somehow restricting the characters < and >.

I had the IM punter. Once they patched that i acquired the Email punter.

The IM Punter was the most brutal. For you could lock down a user indefinitely from logging in.

I have been punted and the punter. AOL was the sh%t. a/s/l please:) Then I discovered yahoo chat rooms where they had rooms dedicated to locations/area codes. That was a great time.

Never did AOL. But yes, the days of dial up I remember well. I had a program that would decode the name and password of the free ISP's so you could just dial directly with Netscape. The free ones worked just as well as the pay ones.

I was always in the user created aol chat rooms, usually Friends(pro wrestling RP, final fantasy 7 RP, and then stuff like Hotties/hawties/S2R). Did anyone ever use the program(on aol 5 or 6, maybe...)called AOSluts, I believe. With a shit ton of nudes of bitches, a lot of them girls that would do cam shows on yahoo chat. I miss the 90s/early00s.

Didn't have to tip tokens to those hoes, either. They'd just do theirself dirty on cam cause we'd sweet tall them.

Back