anyone not been injured grapling?

A

alexgncw

from those of you that been doing bjj, sub wrestling, or any other similar grapling for over a year has anyone NOT had a serious injury (by that i mean nothing that had you at the hospital or out of practice for over a week)

just seems like every other day someone in my school gets hurt i'm wondering if its just us rolling too hard sometimes or ...?

for those (most people i guess) that have been how often do you get serious injuries?

Naw! People usually get hurt from lack of a good warm up. It's like starting up your car in -40 degrees and driving right away. (For our southern friends let me say, this is terribly bad for your engine.) The body is much like an engine, warm it up good, give it high octane fuel and keep the revs low while the engine is cool and the vehicle functions beautifully, omit some or all of these and a breakdown will occur.
Not getting enough rest, or recuperating time is the same as never putting in motor oil, very bad.
I've never had to take a week off, although this year I did just that for some pre-emptive healing. Usually if I'm busted up somewhere I let the guys know so they don't aggravate the injury, they're usually pretty cool about this.

It would be tempting fate to post "I've never been injured" and then go training...

Best chance of getting hurt i think is training with noobs or dick heads who dont do the drills/techniques correclty. From my experience anyway.

Getting injured comes mostly from not warming up correctly or muscling things.. The techniques work, just practice them. People start trying to use there strwength to stop arm bars and other cranks and end up getting hurt when they finally cant hold anymore.

Lol im talking from experience... ive been injured in bjj and judo... nothing teaches you better then mistakes.. i couldnt fight for a long time because of my shoulder and couldnt spar for over a month because of my elbow in bjj.

i havent had a bad injury yet, at least nothing that had kept me from rolling. had a broken toe, a broken finger, and a tweaked arm - but a little tape and icy-hot and i was able to keep on training through them all.

i've been rolling for three years and never had a serious problem yet. my kneecaps and shoulders have dislocated a few times but it doesn't put you out for more than ten minutes as long as you can pop it back in.

pulled my neck a few times too which leads to some discomfort and saying "easy on the neck", but that's not a bad injury.

grappling without injuries? um? isn't that anoxymoron? not that I really know what that means, but I'm trying to sound smart and stuff

I wrestled for 2 years and got injured quite a few times but never went to the hospital or missed practice because of it. I hurt my shoulder pretty bad and kept going when I probably shouldn't have.

In my first three years of college I did BJJ in a club and there was a very high noob factor and there I got a lot of injuries, some more serious where I had to stop for a long time and there was no way I was going to be able to practice. Tearing both knees so I had to be on crutches, getting the cartiledge in the center of my chest torn so I could hardly breath, a badly hyper extended elbow, etcetera.

Now in my fourth year of college I am on a university judo team and have gotten some injuries but nothing that prevented me from grappling or needed the hospital. I got my knees banged up really bad, but it happened on a Friday so I had two days to heal (I could barely walk on Saturday and Sunday was a bit better). I got a toe stomped, but it healed. I got a finger jammed, but it healed whiel I worked around it. I got my hip crushed pretty hard but again it was on a Friday so I had the weekend to get better enough to be able to walk again.

I have seen some wierd injuries this year at judo though, things I would not expect. One guy went to do a foot sweep on another team mate and misjudged and their feet hit too hard at the big toe aread ont he side of the foot. The guy getting swept ended up with broken foot from that and had to go to the ER and get it cast and was supposed to be out for 6 weeks (he didn't come back though). Another guy was knew and he landed wrong from a throw and broke bones not in his wrist but his forearm.

you are going to get hurt unless you've been grappling before. Your body will be under new conditions. Which causes you to get sore and injuried.

the first month of judo I couldn't go more than once a week. I needed that much time to recover from the slams and throws. And I had been lifting for 3 or so years prior. Had I not been doing that, it would have been two weeks.

I've had tweaked elbows, sore neck, broken toes, broken bones in my hand, but thankfully the've only ever been minor injuries that have put me out for a couple of weeks or so. I've avoided any surgeries so far thanks in part to my flexibility. I have a little trouble with my left knee sometimes, but that's a hereditary problem.

I do think the majority of injuries come from overexcited newbs who are clumsy and don't know what to do, otherwise it's usually the result of ego and/or accident. I also think a good warm up and stretches will prevent most from occuring though.

Rotator cuff injury that nagged at me for about 9 months, finally resolved with PT.

Torn meniscus cartilage left knee requiring arthroscopic surgery, and missed about 1 month trainging.

The rest involved stubbed big toe, sore neck, sore ears from getting crushed/flipped over, etc. Nothing too dramatic, but still... It's more dangerous than tiddly winks.

Rotator cuff injury that nagged at me for about 9 months, finally resolved with PT.

Torn meniscus cartilage left knee requiring arthroscopic surgery, and missed about 1 month trainging.

The rest involved stubbed big toe, sore neck, sore ears from getting crushed/flipped over, etc. Nothing too dramatic, but still... It's more dangerous than tiddly winks.

depends on what you mean "serius" injury... i have been training for almost 5 years, my knees hurt unless i work with weights, had some tendonitis from times to times, sore neck and couple of back pains, i have twisted a finger or tows but never broke anything... the only time i stayed out of practise from more than a week becouse of injury was when the doc oppened my ear in order not to get cauliiflower ear, and i stoped rolling for a week in order to heal up.

The worst injury I had was I got pushed backwards while in the kneeling position and rolled my ankle.

That kept me out for a good 3 weeks or so, just b/c it was very sore and tender to walk on. No matter

what though you will get injured somewhere along the line.

Dedicado said:
Naw! People usually get hurt from lack of a good warm up.
sorry to disagree, I've had loads of injurys (the last one a really fucked up knee, that me and my training partner both heard it tear up), I've had long time injurys in shoulders and neck, wrists, you name itl, it's not uncommon at all to have injurys while grappling. in fact, you have injurys no matter what sport you do, as long as you do it seriously. I've had just as bad (if not worst) injurys playing footbal (soccer)

OK, I've been training BJJ/MMA on and off for about 2 years now. Early on I broke my leg which took me out for about 6 weeks (we started off in the kneeling position and the guy shot straight over me trapping my foot with both our weights on top). Just last week in class I broke a toe (the mats are kind of old and I was rolling with the instructor when he went for a sweep so I sprawled and my toe caught a hole in the mat and with the force of my body going back and the toe trapped it snapped). Most of the other stuff over the years was minor.

my injuries are non bjj related
1. collar bone on both sides has grown too long....bjj didnt do that.
well, i did get a cut eyelid from a knee to the eye on accident from a fellow sherdogger...wrespass
that is my only real training injury

About a month into it I severely pulled both of my thigh muscles. All of my injuries have come from my lack of flexibility, random head and knees hitting me in the mouth or brow, or the occasional asshole who has too big of an ego and thinks sparring is actual competition and will do anything to win.

I have hurt my neck, my back, my forearm, my ankle.....

my neck and back were done wrestling though.

Back