Anyone here crosstrain in another martial art?

I train in both BJJ and judo.

When I feel the need to add something else (to stem off the mid-life crisis), I'll spend more time on kick boxing/Muay Thia.

Had a 22 year old tell me the other day that he was a black belt in both "mauy tai" and "brazilian jujutsu".

I swore he was joking at first, but he was dead serious and when one of his friends explained that there were no belts in Muay Thai, the kid got all defensive and said he would prove it on us "fuckin retards". Of course, he hasn't actually come into the gym to prove it and I seriously doubt he ever will.

At first it was kind of funny, but now that I think about it, I just really feel sorry for the kid that he feels the need to lie so strongly about something so stupid.

LOL. I thought maybe I was the only one. Some dude I know told me the other day (after someone told him i dabble in muay thai) that he is in fact a black belt in muay thai! I just humored him. I was too embarrassed to call him out on it.

Guys... I've got no doubt that some shady schools are giving out black-belts for muay thai. Yes, it is probably tae-kwon-do... just like most schools teaching "ninjitsu" is.

In Brazil they have a standardized ranking system for muay Thai which pretty much all academies throughout the country follow. I heard that the system is influenced by that of many muay Thai schools in Holland. The Brazilian muay Thai grading system is as follows:

-White
-White with red stripes
-Red
-Red with light blue stripes
-Light blue
-Light blue with dark blue stripes
-Dark blue
-Dark blue with black stripes
-Black

That's why when you're in Brazil it's not uncommon to hear people like Anderson Silva, Shogun, and Wanderlei Silva to say that they're a "black belt" ("sou faixa preta de muay thai") in muay Thai. For us in the U.S., if we heard someone say that they were a black belt in muay Thai, we wouldn't really know what to make of that statement as we don't have a standardized ranking system in muay Thai. Like another poster mentioned, some schools in the U.S. have their own ranking system, but it's particular to that school and not a uniform system. Rafael Cordeiro most likely carried on the Brazilian ranking system with him when he came to the U.S.

I crosstrain into wrestling and BJJ.
I train sambo.
I also hold ranks in JJJ, Judo and Kyokushinkai.

Rafael Cordeiro awards blackbelts in MT.

In some school Muay Thai schools in the U.S. they are using the Pra Jiad (Arm band) as way of rank. A black one represents the person being a Kru and Gold being the highest...represents Ajarn Kru.

Really? I never knew that. Again, me saying that there were no belts in MT was my own ignorance. I guess I should have said "I've never heard of anyone having a belt in MT".

Guys... I've got no doubt that some shady schools are giving out black-belts for muay thai. Yes, it is probably tae-kwon-do... just like most schools teaching "ninjitsu" is.

Yeah, except the 22 year old I was talking about is one of those people that constantly lies no matter what the subject is or how unbelievable their lies are.

A few weeks ago the guy claimed to be fighting on a local MMA card and said he was training at a particular gym, but when we asked if he knew one of the fighters from the main event (who happens to be the guy that owns the gym in question), he was clueless. Also, the fights were put on by my instructor's promotion and we knew for a fact the kid wasn't on the card and was lying.

I am pretty sure they have a belt system for the MT fighters at the Chute Box Academy.

I remember watching this guy getting owned in a cage by all his team mates (including Werdum), it was part of his BB test.

I've heard him claim it. I've heard tons of people claim black belts in martial arts that don't award belts. I've heard people claim black belts in "kickboxing". Usually it's BS.

I have a black belt in mud wrestling...thong only.

In some school Muay Thai schools in the U.S. they are using the Pra Jiad (Arm band) as way of rank. A black one represents the person being a Kru and Gold being the highest...represents Ajarn Kru. This is not traditional Muay Thai but it is done to satisfy the Americans need for rank.

Yea that's how my old Muay Thai gym worked. I always thought when a person says they have a BB in Muay Thai they mean this but I guess having Muay Thai ranks is somewhat Bullshido.

I am pretty sure they have a belt system for the MT fighters at the Chute Box Academy.

I remember watching this guy getting owned in a cage by all his team mates (including Werdum), it was part of his BB test.

This is true. Rafael Cordeiro, having been part of Chute Boxe, uses the MT belt system. Here's a video of Werdum getting his dark blue arm band from Rafael.

On Werdum's site: Werdum Combat Team Press

Early in the video you can see Fernando Bettega (who teaches MT at Werdum's school) and Rafael who both have the black bands on.

This is true. Rafael Cordeiro, having been part of Chute Boxe, uses the MT belt system. Here's a video of Werdum getting his dark blue arm band from Rafael.

On Werdum's site: Werdum Combat Team Press

Early in the video you can see Fernando Bettega (who teaches MT at Werdum's school) and Rafael who both have the black bands on.

Yeah the band is called a Pra Jiad...I see more MT schools going this route as well. Black Tiger Muay Thai system uses this ranking system.

i train boxing as well as bjj (i actually started with boxing and have been training off and on since i was 15), but i have been really slack with my boxing training lately

MT. Considering starting judo again. Stopped at purple.

Used to do Judo, currently train BJJ & boxing. Have taken Muay Thai in the past, but there isn't MT at the gym I train at now

At the school I've been checking out to go to for bjj for muay thai they have coloured shirts and then black is a belt.

Back