Anyone here crosstrain in another martial art?

It's pretty accurate to say that Muay Thai has no belts.

As pointed out, there are some gyms and organizations that do grant ranks. However, it's not really accepted at all in the general Muay Thai community. Saying that Muay Thai has belts is like saying BJJ has several belts in between white and blue. There are a couple of BJJ gyms that do award belts in this way, but it is uncommon and not at all generally accepted by the BJJ community.

Thai people will look at you like you are crazy if you claim a black belt in their art.

I used to train in kung fu along with jiu jitsu. I dropped kung fu like a bad habit because the instructor was an asshole, a scam artist and a shitmagician. Then he double crossed his master and changed styles all together. Also, he impregnated a teenage girl. They're married and she has to ask before doing anything, and I'm pretty sure he beats her, because he screams at her. She is also taller than him.

I've always had a fascination with kendo.
If I could get my hands on the equipment, I might sacrifice a mat hour for a sword hour.
Me too. There's a Kumdo school (Korean Kendo) around the corner from my house. I think it would be pretty cool to learn. I boxed for a year, but haven't boxed in awhile since I'm obsessed with BJJ.

Judo with a sprinkling of Muay Thai and Boxing.

On the topic of introducing ranking systems in Muay Thai, I don't think it's such a bad development, unless it's being used to milk people for more money via belt testing fees. Dividing developing fights up according to rough skill levels helps prevent mismatches in amateur competition. In an art featuring strikes, preventing mismatches is IMO more important than in BJJ, where the worst case scenario is that you get tapped and lose the match. A Muay Thai mismatch can end in a one-sided beatdown resulting in needless injuries.

It seems liek every martial art has belts nowadays. I wont be surprised if boxing and wrestling adopt them.

It seems liek every martial art has belts nowadays. I wont be surprised if boxing and wrestling adopt them.

It's not so much the belt system per se - but IMO some kind of ranking system is a must for any competitive sport that allows you to figure out who is on what level.

Golf has one(your handicap)
Chess has one(ELO points)
Amateur Boxing has one(the golden gloves system)
Tennis has one etc, etc, etc....

Again, I think combat sports need these ranking systems even more than other sports, because of the potential to get severely beat up if you get mismatched.

^^^True

But the belts perpetuate Mcdojoism in alot of martial arts, even some BJJ schools.

I just finished learning Muay Thai, want me to show you this arm lock i know? JUDO CHOP!

On the topic of introducing ranking systems in Muay Thai, I don't think it's such a bad development, unless it's being used to milk people for more money via belt testing fees. Dividing developing fights up according to rough skill levels helps prevent mismatches in amateur competition. In an art featuring strikes, preventing mismatches is IMO more important than in BJJ, where the worst case scenario is that you get tapped and lose the match. A Muay Thai mismatch can end in a one-sided beatdown resulting in needless injuries.

I'm not sure it's any more important in Muay Thai than in BJJ. Saying that a mismatch in BJJ just results in an early tapout is naive. If you are matched against a much stronger, much more experienced opponent in BJJ, you could easily be injured by a takedown or submission. Go to any BJJ competition, and you will see somebody getting hurt.

Also, a Muay Thai mismatch is not necessarily a one-sided beatdown until the end of the fight. Especially in amateur competition, your corner can just throw in the towel if you are obviously outclassed and just taking unnecessary damage. No decent Muay Thai coach that I have ever met would let his fighter take a crazy one sided beating in a low level amateur fight.

I train in Goju-Ryu karate, and I'm just getting started in BJJ

I started in Judo but I did that for about a year, then I moved and stopped training for about nine months, then I started doing BJJ. Two and a half years later I still do BJJ consistently, and I drop in at Judo clubs for a workout occasionally when the mood strikes. I plan to start doing Judo again more regularly after I get my purple belt in BJJ. Right now I'm partway through blue belt and I really want to blast through it and get my purple within the next year, so I've been training five days a week.

So I guess I've put cross-training on hold to focus on BJJ because I don't want to be a blue belt forever.

It's easier to cross train if both styles are part of the same school. My school offers both MT and BJJ so I work on both of them. It's much harder when you have to go to a different school to cross-train. I think when I get better at MT and BJJ with wrestling I might go for a really traditional art like Kung Fu or Aikido or something. It would be a nice change of pace.

blue belt in bjj, also crosstrain in muay thai and starting wrestling once my shoes come in.

Back