Anyone have vague childhood memories?

Sadly, I have an audiographic memory and nearly photographic memory. My first memories are hearing sounds in the hospital room where I was born. Pretty much am able to remember everything conversation I've ever had when sober.

If you don't mind me asking. Where has life led you in terms of work? School must of been a breeze, right?

I would ask. Broke my nose at 3 when my sis tripped me and i hit the corner of a coffee table... also... some memories of being rocked by my mom.

The oldest memory I have was at age 3 as well. I was violently ill in Rome and doctor made a house call to see me.

I remember heaps. Batman returns coming out, watching jurassic park on video for the first time, playing as batman/jurassic park all over my backyard and house etc. I was born in 1990 so my memory kicks in like 1992 onwards. Smoke a lot of weed now so years 2-19 I remember better than 20-25 lol.

I am old enough that I do not know whether much of what I believe is a memory of an event or a memory of a daydream.

I am old enough that I do not know whether much of what I believe is a memory of an event or a memory of a daydream.

Chances are it's something you've created. Everyone assumes their memory is memory, but the evidence is that most of what we think we remember is pure fantasy. Look at all those police eye-witness examples that I'm sure you've seen brought up on science shows or whatever. Police eye witnesses are wrong a lot more than they're right.

People don't remember a GODDAM thing accurately, and yet assume it's 100% accurate. Most of us couldn't remember something that happened 5 minutes ago accurately.

Edit: By the way if you guys are familiar with "Brain Games" on National Geographic, that show is a pretty great, child friendly (i.e. no science knowledge required) show to explain things like how memory is complete garbage. One of my favorite examples is when they swap speakers directly in front of a subject and the person doesn't realize they're talking to a different person. Like a hotel clerk checks you in, ducks down behind a desk to get your key, and it's a different person. No one notices.

i do not even remember what i was doing before i clicked on this thread.

If you don't mind me asking. Where has life led you in terms of work? School must of been a breeze, right?

Audiographic helps but lots involved in success including actually going to class and working, creativity, and making connections in concepts. Lots of the "gifted" kids I went to school with didn't go as far as you'd think. I have two post collegiate advanced degrees and have done well but struggled tremendously in dealing with other people. Can't really relate with most people. Have had to learn to act in most often interactions by repeating from successful interactions I've observed from others. It's been a major hindrance.

I don't understand, TS?

If this happened, wouldn't it be common knowledge that your mother was attacked? I mean it almost sounds like you saw a dead body?!

No my mom didn't die in my memories, although she seemed severely wounded. If she was really attacked, she obviously survived since she is alive today. Since it happened when I was really young, I don't clearly remember it and my parents have never mentioned it or talked to me about it. I imagine they assume I don't remember since I was so young, and they don't want to revisit painful memories themselves. Assuming this all really happened, my family and the culture I live in, are not the type to openly talk about things. They like to hide things as much as they can so I don't expect them to be honest about it either. If my mother was really stabbed and raped, I assume it must be an incredibly traumatic experience so I am afraid to bring that kind of shit up. Best case scenario, my young mind made it all up and my parents are going to wonder what kind of other fucked up shit is going on in my mind.

I guess the reason I've been thinking about this is because of how I react in certain ways in my relationships. I think I can be overprotective of the women I date to the point that I think it's not healthy, and I wonder if this memory has something to do with it. I am more afraid of the safety of my significant other than being cheated on (or other horrible ways breakups can happen). And I always wondered if this memory (made up or not) is facilitating this tendency. Not sure if verifying the truth of this memory would be helpful though.

When I was around 6 I kind of remember how I used to see invisible figures(think predator camouflage) staring at me when I would wake up late at night in the dark, I think it may have had something to do with this medication my doctor used to make me take for adhd, I know that hallucinations are very common with adhd meds but I don't know for sure.

Audiographic helps but lots involved in success including actually going to class and working, creativity, and making connections in concepts. Lots of the "gifted" kids I went to school with didn't go as far as you'd think. I have two post collegiate advanced degrees and have done well but struggled tremendously in dealing with other people. Can't really relate with most people. Have had to learn to act in most often interactions by repeating from successful interactions I've observed from others. It's been a major hindrance.

This is me too. I just say stupid shit and try to be funny but half the time I can't be bothered.

Your being born memory is crazy. My earliest memory is when I was 2 years old, pretending to be a sleep so my father carried me out of the car and put me in bed and then I got up and started playing this mickey mouse game.

tumblr_n7u2hyUxSy1r8f85do2_500.gif

Yeah, apparently the fear of giant anthropomorphic terror rabbits isn't a unique thing. When I saw that film I was all, "Oh, I've been there, you got that too?"

The oldest memory I have was at age 3 as well. I was violently ill in Rome and doctor made a house call to see me.

I've always wondered if the age of your first memory is a marker of intelligence. I have one vivid memory from late in my forth year and two vague memories around that time. I'm always surprised to hear that people remember their 2-3's vividly; while I don't really have consistent memory until much much later, maybe 7-8ish.

I hope it's some weird memory from a movie. Sounds .... Intense if not. When I was a kid I used to think demons and ghosts were in my room. I have distinct memories of them actually there and moving. Then when I grew up I realized it was sleep paralysis

But uh good luck

I've always wondered if the age of your first memory is a marker of intelligence. I have one vivid memory from late in my forth year and two vague memories around that time. I'm always surprised to hear that people remember their 2-3's vividly; while I don't really have consistent memory until much much later, maybe 7-8ish.

Memory is reconstructive, so what people claim to remember vividly probably isn't as vivid as they think, if not a total reconstruction based on stories, pictures, and home movies. My kids are very smart, but they can't remember things from when they were two, and it wasn't that long ago for them.

This is me too. I just say stupid shit and try to be funny but half the time I can't be bothered.

Your being born memory is crazy. My earliest memory is when I was 2 years old, pretending to be a sleep so my father carried me out of the car and put me in bed and then I got up and started playing this mickey mouse game.

How do you know you were 2, as opposed to 3, or even 4?

How do you know you were 2, as opposed to 3, or even 4?

OMG. I was actually 3 going on to 4. My life is a lie. My younger sister was a new born at the time and I'm 3 years older than her.

I'm really shocked right now, lol. It took me 19 years to realise this. Simple math, wtf.

I think that people that are really gifted seldom have the opportunity, need, or possibly the ability to truly learn social skills. They're often smart enough to get by through sympathy of others or faking it.

Re: how I know what age I was. I can remember the hospital room, the sounds of the room, etc. I can remember conversations where the exact dates were said throughout my life as signposts of the dates. I don't have a photographic memory, just an audio graphic memory. So I remember words, conversations, sounds, etc.

Bro...that's messed up

Back