Anyone have an idea of how much fish oil you get from eating a can of sardines?

Darksky

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Curious what the average amount is you get from eating canned sardines?

Exactly 7.323245675 ounces.

No, its 7.3232(7). You forgot to carry the "who gives a fuck".

Just joking, TS. Thats an odd question. Why not just take some good fish oil pills and consider anything from the sardines or diet a plus.

No, its 7.3232(7). You forgot to carry the "who gives a fuck".

Just joking, TS. Thats an odd question. Why not just take some good fish oil pills and consider anything from the sardines or diet a plus.

+1

I would imagine it varies quite a bit how much "fish oil" is in a can of sardines based on quality of the fish, how they are packed, size of the can, how tightly they are packed, whether they have been processed, etc.

At best you could probably google some studies that might have been done on this that will give you a ballpark figure but honestly I don't know where to begin looking.

Curious what the average amount is you get from eating canned sardines?

I've seen cans that have an actual breakdown of the O3s; there was a tin slammed way into the back of the fridge at the firehall, I'll check it tonight if no one has eaten it.

I checked the cans at Whole Foods and they didnt give any values. In addition to seeing how much I get per week from the 3 cans of sardines I eat I also was curious to see how it compares with the pills to get an idea of how much fish I would have to eat to reach my 2-3 grams per day. (shitload I imagine)

Agree w/Saith that it probably varies based on fish, solution ect, but just looking for a close estimate. So far no luck searching online best info so far was about 2 grams Omegas when in Olive Oil, but no breakdown of the DHA and EPA values.

Seems likes Sardines are real healthy if you can stand eating them so may up my intake if there is a reasonable amount of good oil in them.

"WHY YOUR HEART LOVES THEM: Though fresh herring lead the pack when it comes to omega-3 content, all forms of herring and sardines provide respectable amounts. Depending on the species and how it was prepared, 3 ounces of herring gives 1.3 to 2 g of omega-3 fats. Three ounces of sardines canned in oil deliver 0.8 g of omega-3s."

source: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NAH/is_4_33/ai_100732358

I have also read another article which states 3 ounces of sardines gives you about 1.3 grams of omega 3....so I would say it is in between the 2 values

"WHY YOUR HEART LOVES THEM: Though fresh herring lead the pack when it comes to omega-3 content, all forms of herring and sardines provide respectable amounts. Depending on the species and how it was prepared, 3 ounces of herring gives 1.3 to 2 g of omega-3 fats. Three ounces of sardines canned in oil deliver 0.8 g of omega-3s."

source: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NAH/is_4_33/ai_100732358

I have also read another article which states 3 ounces of sardines gives you about 1.3 grams of omega 3....so I would say it is in between the 2 values

coolness

Do sardines have mercury in 'em? If so, you shouldn't eat too many. Then again, I'm not really sure, and I'm too lazy to google it for ya. I know, I'm helpful.

Do sardines have mercury in 'em? If so, you shouldn't eat too many. Then again, I'm not really sure, and I'm too lazy to google it for ya. I know, I'm helpful.

Yes they do. But they are one of the least mercury-laden fish.

Every can I buy has the omega 3 breakdown. Sardines usually have 1.8g or so of combined EPA/DHA. I bought some wild frozen salmon from the waters of south Australia and each piece contained around 3g of combined EPA/DHA. 10 standard fish oil pills. :eek:

I've seen cans that have an actual breakdown of the O3s; there was a tin slammed way into the back of the fridge at the firehall, I'll check it tonight if no one has eaten it.

Checked the can. Clover Leaf brand, 10g of total fat, 2.0g O6 and 2.5g O3.

Thanks guys, ill just have to find the brands that show the numbers, looks like I am upping my sardines.

I agree, with this revelation, I might get back into the habit of buying canned fish. I repeatedly got sick from one brand years ago, and have stopped completely since.

HINT: A can of sardines should be consumed within 20 minutes of opening if you're not preparing them any other way. Canned fish is not good for you after being opened and left at room temperature for 3 hours. :(

I've never had canned sardines... But aren't you also getting a crapload of sodium with it?

I ate a can of sardines in the 80s and I've been good since!

Back